Repaired Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by IceFreak2000, May 15, 2008.

May 15, 2008

Repaired Wii by IceFreak2000 at 4:18 PM (1,265 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. IceFreak2000
    OP

Newcomer IceFreak2000 Member

United Kingdom
    I know I'm not the only one out there who's experienced drive failure on their Wii; I was playing Geometry Wars the other day when all of a sudden there was a terrible graunching noise from the Wii drive. I had to pull the power to get it to stop, at which point the disk was unceremoniously dumped on the floor and the drive would no longer accept any disks at all. They'd be sucked in, ejected halfway out, sucked back in and then ejected out onto the floor.

Of course, if I hadn't installed a CycloWiz then I would've sent it back to Nintendo to get it fixed...

I checked on eBay, found a 'repaired' D2B drive being offered by a seller in China, took a deep breath and ordered it; it arrived this morning in the post.

I hooked up the new drive, which ran my original disks perfectly. I was just about to unsolder my CycloWiz from my original drive, when I had a brainwave. My original drive was a D2B with cut legs that had been repaired by a soldering genius at work, so I decided to replace the board on my new drive with my 'original' modded board.

Sure, you do need to desolder six wires from the board to the two motors in the drive, but they're trivial compared to the tiny solder points on the board itself. Five minutes later, I had the 'old' board on the 'new' drive and sure enough it worked perfectly.

£50.00 well spent I'd say.

2. ZeD

Member ZeD GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Sounds like a very successful day [​IMG]

3. prinzhernan

Newcomer prinzhernan Member

Philippines
    Grats on the success~! [​IMG]

4. didineedthis

Newcomer didineedthis Member

United Kingdom
    put your spare board on ebay , it will help pay for the cost of your drive.

didineedthis

5. IceFreak2000
    OP

Newcomer IceFreak2000 Member

United Kingdom
    I was PM'd 5 minutes after I posted - looks like I won't need to bother with eBay! [​IMG]

6. didineedthis

Newcomer didineedthis Member

United Kingdom

happy days then mate.

didineedthis