ROM Hack Repair the (J) slots overlay file for (US) HG/SS versions?

Halfshadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi. I found the slots overlay file in Japanese HG/SS, is overlay_0077, but inserting it into the US version don't work, the game crash. I tried to insert it replacing the Voltorb filp overlay file (Overlay_0122), 'cause the script command is the same in US and J versions, and overlay_0077 in US version is only a placeholder, a dummy file of 20 bytes.

The pointer to the slot machines texts group have to be updated to work with the US rom versions, 'cause in (J) version the text group is the number 429 (0x01AD) in the US versions also if is blank is the number 436. Is at the offsets:

0xA48 (uncompressed overlay_0077 file)
0x7A6 (compress overlay_0077 file)

I verified changing it in the J version, where the overlay file works.

I found also the graphic file, is cleared but isn't a problem, I can replace the J graphic file with the censored and the code still works however, however is stored in A/1/2/7 file.

I don't know why the Overlay_0077 file can't works in the U version, maybe have to be updated like the texts to right other resources file in the rom. Someone could know how repair it? And maybe (also if this is harder) link it to dummy script commands to keep both Voltorb flip and Slots minigames? Overlay_0077 is however existing in the US version and can be replaced trough NitroExplorer, but I don't know if there are script commands linked, I know only that there are a lot that do the same black screen/return to the game function.

However the major thing to do will be repair the Overlay file, Voltorb Flip isn't so important, I'll prefer replace it if necessary to restore the slots.

I found the script command link (I think) in the ARM9 file, I can change the value 0x7A (Voltorb flip 122 overlay file) to 0x4D (Overlay 77 slot file) and then the game crash when have to load the Voltorb flip... I think is the right place where force the game to load Overlay_0077 instead of 122, but the code is certainly incompatible (yet) with US roms.

Someone could fix it please?

Halfshadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Someone know if there is an assembly editor for HG/SS? I found this doc for HG/SS, a MeroMero implementation:

xrpl_02078452:
NOP
SUB R1, R1, R5
CMP R7, #0x148
BCC .NotTMHM
CMP R7, #0x1AC
BXCC LR
.NotTMHM:
STRH R1, [R0, #2]
BX LR

xrpl_02078562:
NOP
CMP R2, #0x148
BCC .NotTMHM2
CMP R2, #0x1AC
MOVCC R0, #1
BCC .Return
.NotTMHM2:
LDRH R0, [R0, #2]
.Return:
LDMFD SP!, {R3, LR}
BX LR

xrpl_02257852_ov_03:
NOP
CMP R0, #1
BLS .Return2
ADD R1, R5, #0x284
LDRH R1, [R1]
CMP R1, #0x148
BCC .Return2
CMP R1, #0x1AC
MOVCC R0, #1
.Return2:
MOV R1, #0x288
BX LR

If there is a disassembly that can read an ASM file in this way will be easy find all the offsets and fix them for the J slots file.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey