repair shop to do reballing?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by chrisrlink, Sep 23, 2013.

1. chrisrlink
    OP

chrisrlink your friendly neighborhood serial killer

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    Elm street
    hi my PS3 was reflowed 8 times the guy at the local repair shop said it needed to be reballed but his hands are tied because of EPA regulations so here is my question where can i find a shop in the US (that won't screw you over) that reballs PS3's?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    EPA regulations... I will have to remember that lie.

Reballing is a high end technique performed by those that had to actually learn something to do it and get in pricey tools as well. As such I doubt you will find a shop that does such a thing for what you will call a reasonable price, occasionally you can find people on various forums (everything from the mod manufacturer specific to "get your hands dirty" hacking ones) that will do it but I do not know of anybody, much less one I can trust, doing it for the PS3 right now.

3. chrisrlink
    OP

chrisrlink your friendly neighborhood serial killer

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    Elm street
    yeah should've known this company sucks hell my 3DS's charger (bought a 3DS from them) won't work half the time unless you jiggle the wire until the orange light comes on sometime it even flickers THIS COMPANY SUCKS

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Less cynically it is actually a variation on "you never turn down business", normally you just price yourself out on the quote but EPA works too.

Yes your charger should not do that, before accusing them of bad things I would instead speak to them as chargers for low rent consumer devices are things you do not want to be wasting time checking through fully.

5. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    They only cite EPA regulation if they are still using lead solder, which was outlawed couple years ago.

Reflow never fixes the problem, only makes it worst. I don't know why you think it is a good idea to reflow it again and again for 8 times. There is a seller at ebay that does reballing. I never used it so I can't comment on whether it is legit or not, but it costs approx. $100 to reball RSX alone. Honestly a reputable seller typically charges more than that.

If I were you, I'd just get another PS3.

6. d.d.d.

d.d.d. GBAtemp Fan

Jun 26, 2012
    Tokyo Metropolis
    Yeah... even if it's a CFW-capable PS3, surely you can get a new-used one for less than the hassle of this process over and over again.