Hardware Repair New 3DS home button

LuNyX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks for your answer, but I'm sorry that I don't understand what you exactly want to say, do you speak of the awkward zif connector? I already tried pushing it down with the cable inserted or do you mean the part the button is soldered to? I tried to add a little solder today but I still didn't get it to work...

Edit:
I started my New 3DS with opened case, and while pressing the zif down I could actually get it to recognize my button press, the question is now, how do I get the zif to be in that state without me pressing it down, would be a bit impracticable if you know what I mean.
Edit2:
A bit of tape did the trick, the question is now, what purpose have the 50 useless buttons I ordered?

Thread can be closed.
Can you make a picture of where you put the ribbon of edit 2, plz ?

Last edited by LuNyX,

Wuigi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Can you make a picture of where you put the ribbon of edit 2, plz ?
I put the tape just on top of the zif, on the movable part of the connector, that was bent in the wrong direction to push on the cable again.

gtmtnbiker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i put a piece of paper under the flat and now it's ok.

Thanks for the solution. This was also the trick I used. I was surprised with one tiny piece of paper how tight the fit was. I tried using the needle to push the pins but that didn't work. Also tried testing with the case open, one person holding the battery and another person pushing down on the connector. Did not work. But adding the piece of paper inside the connector did the trick.

It was tricky trying to get the paper in. My fingers are just too big. Hopefully I won't ever make this mistake again in the future when working with these connectors and flex cables.

Hisoka_ex_gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I had the same problem, i disassembled my 3DS to clean the D Pad, because the up sometimes didn`t work properly. While trying the solutions on this topic, i ended up breaking the top part of the slot to the cable. :`(

Someone knows if it can be fixed? Can i find a new one to replace it?

IMG_20201114_175926.jpg

Wuigi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Hisoka_ex_gamer I mentioned the part number in a post: FA1004SA1-R8000 from JAE Electronics, there are various search results on mouser, digikey and aliexpress for it.
It will take a good while until it arrives.
It will be pain to reattach it with the tiny soldering required, maybe remove it in a blob of solder and then use flux with a tiny amount of solder per leg of the part.

Last edited by Wuigi,

Wuigi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Hisoka_ex_gamer I also felt really stupid, that's the reason I made this thread.
Additionally I scratched a flex cable while disassembling my new 3ds back then so it somehow died, so I couldn't even repair it in the end.

Momoro

The Dark One
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great that this worked for you, this zif sure makes a lot of problems.
Sorry that I didn't mention it until now, but I have the smaller New 3DS version, so my advice maybe wasn't that helpful...
In the specification of the part from JAE Electronics there is mentioned, that there shouldn't be force applied when inserting the cable or pulling it out.
The exact sentence is
"One-action mating, with no need for actuator
or slider operation during insertion and
removal".
I bet that most people like the three of us thought, that the upper part has to be bent up to get the cable out and the zif isn't made to withstand this kind of impact.

Hmm, buy some iron grip tape. It should hold it down for you ;)

Wuigi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Momoro It has been 5 years since that post, like I said earlier, my new 3ds died later because of a damaged flex cable, I couldn't save it.
Tape can be a temporary solution, but it's always better to replace things so they last.
I replaced 2 ZIFs the size of the LIF that broke in the new 3ds and replacing them went well.
If one doesn't want to spend money on the equipment or the time to attain the skill to replace the part, tape is an option I guess.

Reactions: Momoro

Momoro

The Dark One
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Momoro It has been 5 years since that post, like I said earlier, my new 3ds died later because of a damaged flex cable, I couldn't save it.
Tape can be a temporary solution, but it's always better to replace things so they last.
I replaced 2 ZIFs the size of the LIF that broke in the new 3ds and replacing them went well.
If one doesn't want to spend money on the equipment or the time to attain the skill to replace the part, tape is an option I guess.

Couldn't have put it better myself :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr