1. bootaholic

bootaholic Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    So... Blue screen console. I baked it with my usual process 350 F for 7 minutes. Console does not display anything now however, is recognized by my computer when put into RCM mode. Nothing happens when a payload is injected.

Charges normal, 0.42A. Voltages around M92 seem reasonable. Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2. Borega

Borega Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    LCD working? If so p13usb

3. bootaholic

bootaholic Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    LCD does work, I did verify with another console.

After plugging into charger with good bat, it never boots / kicks up to fast charge.

I've seen this on many consoles and have never successfully fixed (blank screen but charges normally).

I have replaced BQ/MT/P13.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RealCyborg likes this.
  4. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Newbie
    Newcomer

Israel
    Almost like my Switch I've got from ebay.
    At first I had a blue screen, I pressed hard on the SOC and it stopped showing blue screen.
    Now the screen doesn't show anything, even the backlight will not turn on.
    Slow charging appear to be fine at 0.4A, didn't find shorted caps.

bootaholic likes this.
  5. SolidSnakeUk89

SolidSnakeUk89 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    you have a shorted Tegra chip, probably the board has flexed at some point and some solder joints are cracked.

one of my switches had the same and after a reflow I found a shorted rail where the MAX chip near the left speaker connector, and I ended up taking the Tegra chip off .. short was gone around the board. I havent put it back on since i have broken pads (this board was badly bent tho..) if I get to fix it.. Ill let ya know!

BrokenRecord likes this.
  6. BoomerTuesdays

Newcomer

United States
    I have similar issue where they play fine in handheld but when docked it goes black and has no audio or display to the monitor. I've gone over it with the multimeter but no issues found, is it still likely to be PI3USB chip?

7. RealCyborg

RealCyborg Newbie
    Newcomer

Germany
    This is _exactly_ what my Switch here does ... it had a broken USB-C port and MT92, so I replaced those. Everything else checked fine, i.e. no shorts whatsoever.

Now the switch started slow charging at 0.4 amps as usual, but did not turn on. Screen tested fine with a working switch, so I replaced PI3USB as well, but didn't change anything at all.

Meanwhile, the battery is fully charged, so the Switch shows only 0.13-0.15 amps drawing when plugged in, which is normal as far as I know. However, it still doesn't turn on, also not with RCM dongle attached. FWIW, the power button works. If I keep it pressed, amps go down to 0. Pressing it again gives 0.13-0.15 amps again.

I ran out of ideas. Could it be a faulty flash? Or needs the Tegra reballing? I'm still hoping to avoid this and maybe have overseen something different. Any tip would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by RealCyborg, Apr 26, 2020
  8. Ottoclav

Ottoclav Member
    Newcomer

United States
    New to GBATemp and to system repair and modding.

I have a motherboard that I bought that apparently was getting stuck at the boot logos. Someone tried to repair it. Not sure if that was before or after they either poked a hot soldering iron all over the molex components or not. Either way, the battery cable connector was missing the #5 pin?(last grey wire), I believe. Would this lack of connection keep the system from booting? I have another connector on the way, but I wondered if anyone has dealt with battery connector problems.

Different note:
    Repair #1: Blue screen of death! Switch immediately would go to blue screen when booting up.

Fix: I taped around the nvidia APU? with foil tape, pre-heated the board up to 400 deg F with heat gun and then fluxed the APU with 615-15 Rosin Flux RMA and turned up to 860 deg F and moved gun slowly on the square for 1-2 minutes. Cleaned with Axarel and Pro-clean and then IPA 99%. Re-installed board and the Switch Booted up! I got lucky and didn’t have to re-ball.

This is my first repair btw. I am an IPC rework certified Solder Tech, but most of my work involves aerospace board mods and hybrid autobus systems.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - motherboard, Repair, thread