Repacking a wad?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by 1stkirbyever, Dec 22, 2010.

Dec 22, 2010

Repacking a wad? by 1stkirbyever at 4:23 AM (967 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. 1stkirbyever
    OP

Newcomer 1stkirbyever Advanced Member

United States
    I've been hacking a wiiware game and I was able to unpack all the data and repack it, however. When I try to repack the contents into the wad file and run it in an emulator, it does not run and the banner is messed up, is there a reason for this? I would really like some help because I understand everything else.

2. qwertymodo

Member qwertymodo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    We'll need more information if you want any useful answers. Did you just unpack and repack the same thing or did you change some files? What files? What wad (un)packer are you using? What are you trying to do?

3. 1stkirbyever
    OP

United States
    Oh, sorry. Anyway, I am doing some research for a site that I go to, I changed some files on the wad using a tool that I don't exactly remember (It's called Wad Unpacker & Packer) which allowed me to unpack the .wad. After going through, editing, and repacking the .app files with u8tools or something like that, I used Wadpacker.bat and created my wad. When I try to run it in the emulator all I get is a black screen. And it's not like I replaced the files with something that wasn't supposed to be there, I changed a few values using a hex editor. (I know what these values mean by the way.)

4. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Did it work in the emulator before you hacked it? What emulator is it? Dolphin?

Also, what Wiiware game is it?

If you just unpacked everything, hacked a few files, and put it back together in reverse order (using the same archive formats and everything), it should work, assuming the hacks aren't the cause.

5. qwertymodo

Member qwertymodo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Try just unpacking and repacking without changing anything and see if the wad packer creates an identical wad (compare md5 or sha-1 on the wads themselves). I use a package called wwpacker and it seems to work. U8 Tool by HowardC is the best U8 app out there (sounds like that's what you're already using), just be sure to get the header type from the original file before packing.

6. wilsoff

Member wilsoff GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Unpacking and re-packing will not give an identical md5 because it will be fakesigned.

But I agree you should unpack it and repack with no changes to check the method before you start changing anythign else.

If the banner is all messed up I would suggest that it's not applying proper lz77 compression to the banner.bin file, or to the .tpls within in.

Best tool for this sort of thing is wwpacker 1.84 (google)

Good luck.

7. 1stkirbyever
    OP

United States
    Okay, so. I figured out the issue, it apparently has to do with U8tools, I repacked the .app file using the exact same file only for it to give me a black screen. Anyone know why this is the cause? Or is it because I'm trying to repack 0000006.app?