OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I've been trying for a while to get repacked roms to run. Here is what I do:

1. load the rom in dsbuff 1.0 final, then unpack them, then repack them from the unchanged directory, and it generates a new rom. It gives no errors.

2. I load the rom onto my R4 or with no$gba

The result is that the roms hang on the white screen and do nothing.

I've searched around quite a bit, but it doesn't seem like people have any problems with these processes. It was my intention to make undubs, but even if I make no changes at all to the files, it won't work when I repack the rom.

I'm using vista x64, if that could contribute to the problem.

Can someone give me some advice to get this working? Thanks in advance!

johnsmith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noitora said:
It'd be time consuming but use NitroExplorer, it will work but you then must find another program to swap arm9 files...you can use Crystaltile2 for that.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try this out when I get home. I attempted to unpack and repack a rom here at my work computer (I know, I know) and it didn't work either, so there must be some step I'm not doing or something else I'm not doing correctly.

johnsmith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I need to change anything in the header?

I just fire up dsbuff, unpack a rom to a directory, then choose 'pack' and select that directory. It says 'all files needed are present' and packs, then asks for a filename after it's done.

When I load that rom it whitescreens. I've done it on this computer (vista 64) and a work computer (xp) and the same problem happens.

It whitescreens on my R4 and on no$gba, using multiple roms, some very early, some more recent, some just out.

Anyone have any other ideas what might be wrong?

johnsmith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply, but following those exact instructions generates a current.nds file that will not load on my r4 or no$gba.

HernanZh

Trophies
Website
www.heigames.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
psycoblaster said:
some roms do not load when it is repacked. ask hernanzh, because he has delt with it before.
Umm, no I haven't
blink.gif
You must be mistaken me for someone else.
I don't know why he can't properly pack his roms.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nvm o.O Then probably someone else mentioning a ROM that' won't even boot after unpack/repack. I thought it was the puyo puyo rom but maybe not -ㅅ-; I know I heard it from someone in gbatemp though. probably deufeufeu?

xvirus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had this happen once before while I was hacking away... but luckly was able to fix it. Not sure if it would be similar in your case, but somehow during the repack process, the first byte of the arm9 was altered which caused an instant white screen. I was able to hex edit that back though.. and it hasn't happened since.

johnsmith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. What should the first byte of arm9 be then? I'll try to change it to that and repack.

Also, in reply to the person who suggested it might not have all the files, the repacked rom is nearly the same size as the original, just a few bytes less.

johnsmith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noitora said:
johnsmith said:
Thanks for the reply. What should the first byte of arm9 be then?
Simply make a copy of the arm9.bin before unpacking/packing it and compare it with the one after packing.

How am I going to get a copy of the arm9 file before unpacking? Are they all the same?

Hehe Moo

Moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
johnsmith said:
Noitora said:
johnsmith said:
Simply make a copy of the arm9.bin before unpacking/packing it and compare it with the one after packing.

How am I going to get a copy of the arm9 file before unpacking? Are they all the same?

I was wondering the same thing...

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
Hehe Moo said:
johnsmith said:
Noitora said:
johnsmith said:

I was wondering the same thing...
Oh my bad
tongue.gif
Use crystaltile2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night