Repacked ROM size

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Regalia, Aug 7, 2008.

Aug 7, 2008

Repacked ROM size by Regalia at 9:42 AM (764 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. Regalia
    OP

Newcomer Regalia Newbie

Australia
    Hi, I've just made my own little undub of a game. Unpacked both the J and US versions and noticed they were about 112MB in size as compared to the original 128MB of the 'unpacked' .nds file.

However, when I re-pack the files myself into a new undub.nds, I notice the file size remains in the 112-113MB region. Is it possible to get it back to the standard 128MB size? If not, does this make any difference? The new undub.nds seems to work though... [​IMG]

Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Dizwix

Newcomer Dizwix Advanced Member

France
    No it won't change^^Look at the JUS patch,the rom is smaller^^

3. Regalia
    OP

Newcomer Regalia Newbie

Australia
    I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean to say that when I repack the ROM, it will NOT be 128MB any longer and will stay at 112MB or whatever other size it is when actually re-packed?

4. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    128 MB is the capacity of the ROM chip that holds the data. The game data itself is almost always smaller than the chip size by at least a few bytes, and sometimes tens of megabytes (if I recall correctly, Dynasty Warriors DS trimmed down to 69MB from 128MB).

When a game is dumped, the entire contents of the ROM is copied, even the blank part at the end. When you unpack and repack a game, the resulting file is only as big as the game data. This will not cause problems, it's perfectly normal.