Renumbering the Super Mario Bros. games

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, officially, there are 5 completely different games in the World that bare a 'Super Mario Bros.' title: the original Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros 2 (Japan) or Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros 2 (international) or Super Mario Bros USA, Super Mario Bros 3, and in Japan, Super Mario Bros 4: Super Mario World was the full title of Super Mario World.

Yet, internationally, the count only goes up 3. But the count can further increase, let's not forget, in America, Yoshi's Island is known as Super Mario World 2, which again, in Japan, the first title was known as Super Mario Bros 4, so if the first one is a SMB game, it stands to reason that the second one must be too. But wait, there's more! The early name of Yoshi's Island DS before release, was Yoshi's Island 2, and if the first Yoshi's Island is a continuation of the Super Mario World series, which in turn was a continuation of of the Super Mario Bros. series, then it would stand to reason that Yoshi's Island DS (at least when it was known as Yoshi's Island 2) would be both another entry in the Super Mario World series, and another entry for the Super Mario Bros. series. Unfortunately, as far as I can see, the count ends there, Yoshi's New Island never flirted with a title that indicated it was a direct sequel to any Yoshi's Island game, though it of course is a part of that series, but that alone isn't enough to get it into the SMB naming scheme in my book.

So with that all in mind, I propose that this is how the Super Mario games should be counted:

New Numbering : Original Game
Super Mario Bros. 1 : Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2 : Super Mario Bros. the Lost Levels/2
Super Mario Bros. 3 : Super Mario Bros. 2/USA
Super Mario Bros. 4 : Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Bros. 5 : Super Mario Bros. 4: Super Mario World
Super Mario Bros. 6 : Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Mario Bros. 7 : Yoshi's Island 2/DS

Alright, I know I know, why even make this thread? I dunno, I'm bored, whatever. This probably my biggest shit post in a long time. The classic Sonic games could easily use some renumbering as well in my book.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never considered Yoshi's Island to be part of the Mario series.. And SMB 2 (US) is just "Doki Doki Panic" reskined with Mario characters all things considered..

Reactions: Mazamin

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never considered Yoshi's Island to be part of the Mario series.. And SMB 2 (US) is just "Doki Doki Panic" reskined with Mario characters all things considered..
Sure, but it's an official numbered SMB game somewhere in the world, and it's included with the other NES SMB games in Super Mario All-Stars. And I agree, I don't consider Yoshi's Island games to be SMB games, but if you follow the numbering they laid out, then at least the first 2 titles can be loosely traced back to the SMB games.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have always considered Yoshi's Island as part of the Mario series for the simple fact it says so on the games title screen :rofl2:

c82941aa75f56b42646f169f22277d1a.jpg

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also see that Yoshi's New Island was a sort of a retcon attempt, it followed Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, and ignored the events of the 2006 game Yoshi's Island DS..

Reactions: AmandaRose

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mario is literally in Yoshi's Island. I don't see how it could not be a part of the Mario series.
Yoshi's Island is a Yoshi game, you play as Yoshi and you control Yoshi, not Mario. Mario is still a baby in this game (which makes it eligible to be a spin-off title), and Yoshi's carrying him and leading the way, not the other way around. It being a part of the main-line Mario series opens up the eligibility of too many other games with the same qualifications..
The numbering gets even more confusing with the GBA releases...
View attachment 312189
Those don't count in my book. Because they're just re-releases of already existing games..

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In this same vein, here's how I propose the classic Sonics be renumbered. Utilizing Sonic Origin's story mode as a guideline for the timeline, we know that Sonic CD comes before Sonic 2. Meanwhile, Sonic 4 is far less like a classic Sonic game than the unnumbered Sonic Mania, so I propose they swap places, making Mania the clear true followup to Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and the Sonic 4 games they gave us, more deserving of a name like Sonic Mania.

I know I'm not following my own rules established in the first post here by blatantly ignoring a numbered game and counting games that were never numbered. But this isn't really the same as the Mario scenario, this is more about which games are logically a part of the same mainline classic series and where they would fall chronologically so:

Sonic 1 : Sonic The Hedgehog
Sonic 2 : Sonic CD
Sonic 3 : Sonic 2
Sonic 4 : Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Sonic 5 : Sonic Mania

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Mario Bros. 1 : Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2 : Super Mario Bros. 2 the Lost Levels/2 USA
Super Mario Bros. 3 : Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario Bros. 4 : Super Mario World
Super Mario Bros. 5 : Super Mario 64/DS
Super Mario Bros. 6 : Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Bros. 7 : Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Bros. 8 : Super Mario Odyssey

That's how i see the mainline mario series.

futures

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In this same vein, here's how I propose the classic Sonics be renumbered. Utilizing Sonic Origin's story mode as a guideline for the timeline, we know that Sonic CD comes before Sonic 2. Meanwhile, Sonic 4 is far less like a classic Sonic game than the unnumbered Sonic Mania, so I propose they swap places, making Mania the clear true followup to Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and the Sonic 4 games they gave us, more deserving of a name like Sonic Mania.

I know I'm not following my own rules established in the first post here by blatantly ignoring a numbered game and counting games that were never numbered. But this isn't really the same as the Mario scenario, this is more about which games are logically a part of the same mainline classic series and where they would fall chronologically so:

How would you order Street Fighter games :). If Nintendo and Capcom were to merge, wonder how their games would be named.

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I would counter that as Sonic 2 came out a whole year before Sonic CD your numbering is wrong and Sonic 2 should remain Sonic 2:)

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would counter that as Sonic 2 came out a whole year before Sonic CD your numbering is wrong and Sonic 2 should remain Sonic 2:)
Like I said, I based CD's placement on where it officially falls in the timeline as evidenced by the game order of story mode in Sonic Origins.

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Like I said, I based CD's placement on where it officially falls in the timeline as evidenced by the game order of story mode in Sonic Origins.
Yep but that then fucks up your Super Mario list as Yoshi's Island would then need to be first As Mario is still a baby in that lol.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How would you order Street Fighter games :).

I get how the SF releases are convoluted, but the ordering is simple; either release order or chronological as dictated by the canon 'story'.

If Nintendo and Capcom were to merge,
This is highly unlikely. Look at their most high profile in development titles, none of them are coming to the Switch. Capcom will never hamstring their titles for lesser hardware... and Nintendo is always the lesser hardware.

And why would Nintendo renumber them anyway?

Why does no one other than me consider the Master Systems Sonic Chaos a more than worthy inclusion in the franchise?

Last edited by duwen,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol