Hacking Renaming rom file names and keeping saves?

Operator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So I know that the M3 adapter makes saves with the method of putting the name of the rom that they are attached to into the saved game file itself. Here is my dilemma:

I want to rename a few of my roms (i named them stupidy short and played them this way and now I have saved game files I want to continue using).

Does anyone know a method that I can use to rename the .nds files but keep using the saves?

If I rename the saves it doesnt work since they still have the short .nds file reference within the file. I tried hex editing the saves but that didnt work - maybe it could work - but its pretty complicated to edit them correctly. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that if you rename the saves to the same thing as the rom name that it changes the reference within the file on its own. The screen pops up asking you which file name you want to load as its save right after you pick the rom anyway, so you can pick which one.

Operator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the screen before loading the game does ask you to pick a saved game file but i think youll notice it only gives you a selection of certain files (not every saved game file on the card.)

why? because it looks at the saves and sees which one has the rom file name in it that matches the rom you loaded and shows only those.

so renaming alone wont fix it unfortunately.

Operator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ok ive learned to use it. now what?
lets go with an example:

example rom name: game.nds
i play game.nds
m3 makes save game called game.dat
now i want to rename game.nds to awesome_game.nds (so its more descriptive)
when you check the save game manager (sgm) for the new awesome_game.nds you will see no saved games attached to it.
if you rename game.dat to awesome_game.dat you will still see no saved games attached to the new filename. but the old one, game.nds, will see both.

so, what do you do in sgm?
do tell oh wise one

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
how bout you name it to awesome game whatever before you patch it and run it through the gm again to create a new saved file and then go into save manager to write your old save.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.