Hacking Renaming Gamboy Adv. Roms to English?

Falkentyne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you do this on a chinese G6 Lite?

The U-manager software allows you to rename the chinese name for the Roms into english in "NDS" mode setting for renaming NDS Roms, so that's no problem, but there is no rename option in GBA mode area in the U-Manager, so the Rom names are displayed in Chinese when you load it on the DS Lite, although the names are only shown in English on the U-manager. This is a problem for Roms that don't have a proper graphic "image" and instead uses the generic G6 Loader image instead (imagine 10 games with the generic loader and all chinese names!). Is there a way to somehow rename the chinese name for Gameboy advance Roms?

TEKNOSYSTEKWRX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is not good. I got tired of waiting and had Hopebuy send me a Chineses version. I figured as long as the game names were in english, that's all that really mattered. I still play a bunch of GBA games, this this sucks. Do the GBA names show up in english with the NDS loader? Can I launch them from there? Or are GBA names always in Chinese?
hate2.gif

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
they are either chinese or use their internal gba names. This isn't too big a deal because the g6 loader appends the title screen to the gba list

Falkentyne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is, *some* games don't have title screens. I don't know why...maybe a CRC in the Rom is wrong, maybe I have to use a different regional version of the Rom or something....

So all you get is a generic title screen.

The good thing is that if the ROM has a "number" in front (like 071), that number usually stays there, so you can always write down what number is for what ROM. What is *needed* is for the U-disk manager to support RENAME for Gameboy Advance mode, not just for NDS Mode.

Oh, and yes, the games DO show up in English in the NDS loader, in the "file browser" area (where you are looking at it like though windows explorer type menu), but I tried launching a game that way and I got a white screen-.- I think it's because it was still in NDS mode, and you can't start a GBA game up in NDS mode without entering GBA mode first
smile.gif
smile.gif
You CAN start a NDS game through the file browser of course....

crackbone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, it's easy, but not by using the g6.
All you have to do is transfer the rom over to the card using the software. Once it's done, you can rename the rom (and it's associated files) to whatever name you want, as long as you dont' change the extension. Once it's renamed, you can copy the rom and the other related files to you computer. If you want to reload the game, don't use the G6 software, just copy the rom and related files directly onto the card.
I've done that for all my roms and it works like charm.

Falkentyne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it's easy, but not by using the g6.
All you have to do is transfer the rom over to the card using the software. Once it's done, you can rename the rom (and it's associated files) to whatever name you want, as long as you dont' change the extension. Â Once it's renamed, you can copy the rom and the other related files to you computer.  If you want to reload the game, don't use the G6 software, just copy the rom and related files directly onto the card.
I've done that for all my roms and it works like charm.

That only works for NDS games. Not GBA games.
If you found some trick to renaming the **display name** (not the file name) for GBA games, let me know. Or are you saying that if you change the name of a GBA game in windows explorer, after it's been copied, then the G6 adapter will show the true filename and NOT the chinese name?

The U-disk manager allows you to rename games, but ONLY NDS games. (the display name, not the filename). U-manager won't let you rename GBA Games. And that's the problem--a lot of GBA games have a display name in chinese.

XxMxVxPxX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(some of) you guys are retarted noobs who make everything more complicated then it is. its not hard if you can read...

Falkentyne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(some of) you guys are retarted noobs who make everything more complicated then it is. its not hard if you can read...

The *ONLY* retarded noob here is *YOU*. Because clearly, **YOU** can't read. You're lucky a mod doesn't come here and ban you for your kiddie antics...

Why don't you try HELPING others out and EXPLAIN the so-called "obvious" then, if you have a solution?

Oh, and before you continue to go off on your high horse, I *RENAMED* The roms in windows explorer when it was on the G6, and the roms **STILL** have the chinese name in gameboy mode. Not only do they still have the chinese name, they still have the "number" prefix, even though I *removed* the number after renaming. I even renamed the ROM, then removed it from the G6 cart, booted up the G6 without the ROM, then copied the ROM back, booted up the G6 again, and the INTERNAL ROM NAME, WHICH YOU CAN NOT CHANGE, IS STILL IN CHINESE (this has something to do with how the G6 identifies the ROM). Don't tell me you don't understand what I just typed...

(some advice for you: if your parents didn't teach you social skills, I suggest you go learn them in a suitable high school or college class (or from a more responsible relative); there are a few out there....).

Oh and let me type it again, in plain print:

RENAMING THE INTERNAL NAME WITH THE U-DISK MANAGER ONLY WORKS FOR NDS GAMES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

crackbone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know what you guys are talking about - it works fine, I've done it multiple times so I can read the GBA names.

Here's step by step:

1. Copy the rom over to the G6 by using the U-Disk Mangager.
2. After the rom is transferred, open up the G6 directory in WINDOWS EXPLORER. Navigate to the GBA drive.
3. You should have several files that have the same file name, but different file extensions. I can't remember all of them, but they are icon files, save states, etc.
4. Rename each file in that group with whatever name you want to use. You must make sure you rename all of the related files, but leave the extensions alone, otherwise you may run into problems saving properly.
5. Remove the G6, insert into console, turn on.

Falkentyne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what you guys are talking about - it works fine, I've done it multiple times so I can read the GBA names.

Here's step by step:

1.  Copy the rom over to the G6 by using the U-Disk Mangager.
2.  After the rom is transferred, open up the G6 directory in WINDOWS EXPLORER.  Navigate to the GBA drive.
3.  You should have several files that have the same file name, but different file extensions. I can't remember all of them, but they are icon files, save states, etc.
4.  Rename each file in that group with whatever name you want to use.  You must make sure you rename all of the related files, but leave the extensions alone, otherwise you may run into problems saving properly.
5.  Remove the G6, insert into console, turn on.

I tried this already.
(I did it with Namco Museum).
But when I put the renamed files (i made sure to rename all the proper files) back on the G6 and booted up, the name was still in chinese (with the "Rom number" e.g 0833 in front). Your method *should* work, but it didn't
frown.gif

I'll try again later, with changing the name to something completely unrelated to the actual rom file. I was pretty shocked that the G6 still knew what the file was @_@

Do you think it is not working because I am using compression ? If this is the cause, I'm going to eat a frog...but that's the only possible thing I can think of at the moment... let me try something, I'll post back....

*Edit*
I copied over the uncompressed rom file with the U-disk manager, renamed the files, removed the G6 (I changed the name to namco 1), and the name was still in chinese when I put it in the NDSL
frown.gif
So I don't know what's going on....I've followed everyone's instructions to a T...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A bigger battery could defeat the need for weighted magnets tbf
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like holding girth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...