notnarb

Not narbing it up
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My phone (the LG env2) accompanied me on a journey into my local swimming pool and after employing steps to prevent damage (removing the battery, rinsing with rubbing alcohol, wrapping in a paper towel and burying in cat litter for a couple days) the phone appears to be in good working condition - the keypad didn't work the first time I took it out but then worked fine after another day in the cat litter. The only thing that got damaged (besides the water indicators) was the external and internal screens. I had feared that the damage was permanent but upon leaving it in the cat litter for another day (for those wondering, cat litter contains dry clay which is extremely water absorbent) the big splotches seemed to dissipate into many smaller splotches on the main screen with what appears to be an all around improvement on the external screen. Now I am wondering about what next step to take
Do I
1) Try to rinse out the screen side of the phone with more 70% isopropyl alcohol
2) Leave in cat litter until the screen gets better
3) Leave it alone and hope for the best
4) No don't! My screen is clearly dieing! I need to
5) Man up and take it apart - so what if there aren't any readily accessible dissasembly guides, what's the worse that can happen?

the main phone screen as depicted by my webcam - that is a flat surface with some bad lighting on the right Basically that middle band is what is uniformly spread about my screen
312v32p.jpg

Some white stuff that appeared on the plastic interior of my external screen (chlorine?)
5x3hoz.jpg

notnarb

Not narbing it up
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
UnFallen said:
5 but make sure you read a tut on it first
always do things with knoledge!!!
laugh.gif

QUOTE said:
so what if there aren't any readily accessible dissasembly guides, what's the worse that can happen?
unsure.gif
there's probably a reason why there aren't any disassembly guides for this popular phone

EDIT:
you should see your cell phone provider or look for the phones warranty, and BTW do you pay insurance because they could change it for you.
water indicators were hit with water, voiding the warranty and while I do have insurance, there is a 50 dollar copay. As the screen is now, it is perfectly usable and not worth the 50 dollars

tylerxian

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
logical thinker said:
I would turn it off and:
"2) Leave in cat litter until the screen gets better."
I would leave it in a different position each day.

Exactly what I was thinking. That would be the safest way to get all the water out and to just wait it out for a while.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thebigboss14 said:
you should see your cell phone provider or look for the phones warranty, and BTW do you pay insurance because they could change it for you.

warranty is voided .... it got wet there are color change tabs on the board the battery and the battery compartment that turn red when wet to show water/fluid damage they will just refuse to even look at it!
frown.gif

get a bag of dry rice and turn the phone off and remove the battery place the battery and the phone into the dry rice and leave it a couple of days to fully dry out any moisture!
smile.gif

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Option 2 and then 5.

Leave it for a week or so and see if it gets any better. If it still bothers you take it apart. You'd probably need special tools to open a phone though.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Personally, I'd remove the battery, open the phone (as in so you see the keyboard) and put it in a bag of rice. Then wait a few days. Rice is like the cat litter, absorbs water. I've just never heard of people using cat litter instead of using rice :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1