Redah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello,

I have been cleaning my Wii with AnyTitle Deleter, it's a great application to quickly free up alot of space. I have deleted stuff like the original (1.0) PhotoChannel, and the 1.1 channel still works, so that gave me a few more free blocks without losing functionality.

But now I am wondering: In the "System Titles" section, all the IOS, BC, MIOS and System Menus are listed. Which am I able to remove, and will this give me more free blocks?

Some things I've noticed is that the "brick protection" doesn't let me delete the current IOS in use (this was 30 for me). The strange thing is, it would let me delete IOS51, but then I know that some apps/games will complain because IOS51 is needed.

On the other hand, I can imagine that IOS9 could be safely removed (this was the very first IOS) without games complaining.

Does anyone know if it is of any use to delete IOSes, will it give me more free blocks, and: What IOSes are needed for current games (or in another question: Which IOSes can I safely remove?) ?

Keylogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
You can use the IOS Patcher by Waninkoko to choose wich IOS your game will use.

You can patch Zelda to make it run with another IOS. After that, IOS9 can be safely removed.

Redah

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Keylogger said:

You can patch Zelda to make it run with another IOS. After that, IOS9 can be safely removed.

I don't really want to start patching all my DVDs
tongue.gif

I just thought that, if a game needed (for example) IOS9, and it saw "Oh wait, he already has IOS30, so he meets my minimum requirements", it would still run.

Does anyone know if the IOSes take up 'blocks' by the way? Because that would be a real shame, losing the already limited memory space to system upgrades...

Keylogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Redah said:
Keylogger said:

I don't really want to start patching all my DVDs
tongue.gif

I just thought that, if a game needed (for example) IOS9, and it saw "Oh wait, he already has IOS30, so he meets my minimum requirements", it would still run.

Does anyone know if the IOSes take up 'blocks' by the way? Because that would be a real shame, losing the already limited memory space to system upgrades...
If a game needs IOS9 and that this IOS is deleted, the game will not boot (black screen)

Don't know if IOSes take up blocks...

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Keylogger said:
Screemer said:
great idea if you want to play originals...
Wich IOS is loaded when you start Gecko OS? Because I can play my original Zelda but I removed IOS9

geckoos uses the ios which the game disc needs. so, actually geckoos shouldn't boot zelda after ios9 was removed. maybe it has a fallback to a different ios.

wiibrew.org
Technical Jargon

Gecko OS/Gecko Region Free was created with the homebrew libogc library. No certs, TMD, Tik, keys or other Nintendo copyright material were used or attached in the file, making it a pure homebrew release. No Datel code was used either, so please don't call this a clone etc as this and Freeloader work in completely different ways.

The decryption is done by the hardware, not in software and the correct IOS version of the game booting is selected and used. This is done by reading the information off the DVD using the low level read commands and then passed back to the starlet.

My own apploader was written, and will completely ignore the update partition, no patching is done except a region flag which is required.

This of course only works with Wii games.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
Redah said:
It doesn't work like that. Specific games need a specific IOS number, not that number or higher.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
plus, IOS are ridiculous in size (comparing to app channels), you won't save very much memory

you can not fill your Wii memory with all those available "wads", you have to live with that
rolleyes.gif

zerof

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There might be but if you find an old copy isn't there the potential to delete some needed ones that you got from updates.. I'd use caution before doing anything.

Patryc

Trophies
XP
Country
pelago said:
Patryc said:
Is there a list anywhere of what IOSes are in the Wii? (i.e fresh from the factory)
You could have a look on http://wiibrew.org/ or http://hackmii.com/ as that's the sort of thing they cover from time to time. However, different Wiis will come with different things, depending on when it was bought.

Thanks pelago, will take a look a those links
rolleyes.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Actually you could delete IOS16 if it exists, it is the one used for the debug disc from Nintendo and a few select homebrew apps (it is signed by Nintendo but retains the signing bug so is good for downgrading on otherwise locked systems).

Other than that my entire IOS collection zipped (they do not compress well) is about 30 megs, later ones clock slightly under 2 megs.

Anyhow to answer your original question one list of IOS "versions":
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Title_database

Others have suggested great caution before deleting and I will back them, my problems the last few days were caused by my not having the older IOS versions (hence my new collection).

edit. I messed up IOS14 is good. IOS16 is the otherwise unused one.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I thought i remember people claiming in the past that deleting system channels such as news and weather didn't free any blocks up at all. Is this wrong?

Or is that because they were using nintendos channel management system and not anytitledeleter?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: