Hacking Removing Scratches?

JPH

Banned!
OP
Banned
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
6,881
Trophies
0
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
1,138
Country
United States
I've got two pretty nasty scratches on my touch screen (too much TWEWY!).

Do you guys know some good ways of getting rid of them? They're annoying
wacko.gif
 

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2008
Messages
3,218
Trophies
0
XP
603
Country
United States
get a new replacement touch screen?
as far as i know
scratches arent really like erasable
maybe theres some kinda remedy
but for now
just use lotsa screen protectors to prevent your screen from getting even more scratched up
 

iffy525

not famous
Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2007
Messages
751
Trophies
0
Website
www.google.com
XP
254
Country
United States
Yeah, I don't think there is anything you can do. A scratch is an actual physical indent in the screen so there is nothing you can do about it to get it back to the way it was. Just get a screen protector to prevent even more scratches.
 

Curley5959

CCC Member!
Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2008
Messages
2,571
Trophies
0
Age
28
Location
Australia
Website
www.holidaygamerz.zoomshare.com
XP
143
Country
In my opinion, when you first get your DS, you should apply a pair of screen protectors on it to prevent scratches happening..

Usually, scratches wont come off, depends on how bad they are, and in your case, maybe try some lens cleaner and apply a pair of protectors..

Idk whether the lens protector will work or not but there may be some form of polish out for the DS by now for scratches..

Hope this helps
 

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Joined
Feb 19, 2008
Messages
2,629
Trophies
0
Age
36
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
1,048
Country
United States
You can try getting one of those glass/scratch repair kits that contain a solution that fills in the scratches and basicly "removes" them. Their normally made for glasses and the such but it may work on the Nintendo DS screen. The only alternative is replace the screen.
 

JPH

Banned!
OP
Banned
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
6,881
Trophies
0
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
1,138
Country
United States
Narin said:
You can try getting one of those glass/scratch repair kits that contain a solution that fills in the scratches and basicly "removes" them. Their normally made for glasses and the such but it may work on the Nintendo DS screen. The only alternative is replace the screen.

I understand that the scratch is physically a sort of dent in the screen...I'm just trying to figure out what solution I can use to fill it in - as they're super annoying. I'll look into that, thanks Narin.

If you guys can think of ways to remove scratches, or have experience and solutions in doing so - please share.
grog.gif
 

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Joined
Feb 19, 2008
Messages
2,629
Trophies
0
Age
36
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
1,048
Country
United States
JPH said:
Narin said:
You can try getting one of those glass/scratch repair kits that contain a solution that fills in the scratches and basicly "removes" them. Their normally made for glasses and the such but it may work on the Nintendo DS screen. The only alternative is replace the screen.

I understand that the scratch is physically a sort of dent in the screen...I'm just trying to figure out what solution I can use to fill it in - as they're super annoying. I'll look into that, thanks Narin.

If you guys can think of ways to remove scratches, or have experience and solutions in doing so - please share.
grog.gif

Well, there premade scratch repair solutions for glass. I believe its some sort of silicate solution that fills in the scratches and piratically makes them invisible bu blending in with the glass. I tried it before (Not on a DS though) and it worked very well. You could never tell that there was scratches on the glass.
 

JPH

Banned!
OP
Banned
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
6,881
Trophies
0
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
1,138
Country
United States
Narin said:
JPH said:
Narin said:
You can try getting one of those glass/scratch repair kits that contain a solution that fills in the scratches and basicly "removes" them. Their normally made for glasses and the such but it may work on the Nintendo DS screen. The only alternative is replace the screen.

I understand that the scratch is physically a sort of dent in the screen...I'm just trying to figure out what solution I can use to fill it in - as they're super annoying. I'll look into that, thanks Narin.

If you guys can think of ways to remove scratches, or have experience and solutions in doing so - please share.
grog.gif

Well, there premade scratch repair solutions for glass. I believe its some sort of silicate solution that fills in the scratches and piratically makes them invisible bu blending in with the glass. I tried it before (Not on a DS though) and it worked very well. You could never tell that there was scratches on the glass.

Aha, found something interesting!
These Novus bottles are supposed to un-scratch Nintendo DS screens, PSP screen, CD, DVD, etc.!
grog.gif

They're not very expensive...and they look like they work (in Youtube - enter search terms 'Tap Plastic Scratch' and it'll show you the product in use).
I'm going to order some of that stuff soon, and make sure to put a screen protector on my DS
biggrin.gif
 

Anorhc

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2008
Messages
287
Trophies
0
XP
239
Country
United States
JPH said:
Narin said:
JPH said:
Narin said:
You can try getting one of those glass/scratch repair kits that contain a solution that fills in the scratches and basicly "removes" them. Their normally made for glasses and the such but it may work on the Nintendo DS screen. The only alternative is replace the screen.

I understand that the scratch is physically a sort of dent in the screen...I'm just trying to figure out what solution I can use to fill it in - as they're super annoying. I'll look into that, thanks Narin.

If you guys can think of ways to remove scratches, or have experience and solutions in doing so - please share.
grog.gif

Well, there premade scratch repair solutions for glass. I believe its some sort of silicate solution that fills in the scratches and piratically makes them invisible bu blending in with the glass. I tried it before (Not on a DS though) and it worked very well. You could never tell that there was scratches on the glass.

Aha, found something interesting!
These Novus bottles are supposed to un-scratch Nintendo DS screens, PSP screen, CD, DVD, etc.!
grog.gif

They're not very expensive...and they look like they work (in Youtube - enter search terms 'Tap Plastic Scratch' and it'll show you the product in use).
I'm going to order some of that stuff soon, and make sure to put a screen protector on my DS
biggrin.gif

When you order it and perform the repair, tell us how it turns out. I might want to give it a try if it proves successful on your part.
 

Bri

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2007
Messages
3,413
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
116
Country
United States
I've used these products before (but not on a DS screen). They are quality products, but be very careful! They don't fill in the scratches (in fact, I don't think that products that claim to fill in scratches on plastic really fill in scratches either). They are actually mild abrasives that "even out" the scratches so that they're less noticeable. Essentially, they sand away the plastic around the scratches to even out the surface. Novus 1, 2, and 3 have increasing levels of abrasion, so read the instructions carefully (generally, start with the lowest and work your way up if scratches remain).

The link you provided only sells individual bottles, and you should probably get one of each. There is a "starter kit" with small 2oz bottles of all 3 polishes, which should contain more than enough for a DS screen if you're going to attempt it. It might be cheaper than buying separate bottles.

Here's the website of the manufacturer: http://www.novuspolish.com/

And here's a video showing you how to use it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRUiN4aN43A

-Bri
 

GodMedia

Active Member
Newcomer
Joined
May 9, 2006
Messages
35
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
114
Country
United States
I've seen that Novus stuff and stuff like it in action before. This stuff is only really good for real mild scratches. If your screens have any kind of actual gouge in them, then this won't solve the problem.

Even their website says, "removes fine scratches, haziness, and abrasions."

As stated before, these products are really just liquid sandpaper that will wear down the plastic until you can't see the little hairline scratches anymore. On a proper scratch, they will, at most, smooth out the surface of the scratches edges, but there will still be a visible and tangible dent there. Even then, if not used correctly, these products can actually kill the glossy finish of a plastic altogether due to their abrasive nature.

Due to the delicate nature of most devices that you would use this stuff on, even the highest abrasion factor (Novus 3) would not wear enough plastic away to truly hide a proper scratch until it seemed "removed."

I'm not saying not to do this, it probably just isn't going to do what most people think it will. Once you physically damage the plastics of your devices, there is no magic way to repair them. Proper care and protection before is the only real solution.

PS - before anyone goes on to argue that the website says it's good for heavy scratches, it also says, "not for use on eyeglasses, polycarbonate, or coated plastics." This means that plastics that are delicate or whose surface smoothness and clarity are critical (i.e. the screens on a DS) should not be repaired this way. Chances are that you'll only end up doing more damage than good in the end.
 

wilddenim

Candy!
Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2007
Messages
972
Trophies
0
Location
UK
Website
Visit site
XP
41
Country
Still under warrenty? Replace it. My fiance had his badly scratched. His temper is .... Let's not go there.

And it got replaced by the shop GAMESTATION (UK Store) without problems.
 

Holaitsme

10/10 would be loyal again
Member
Joined
May 14, 2008
Messages
843
Trophies
0
Age
29
Website
Visit site
XP
221
Country
United States
you got two options
1. get a screen protector to protect it from future scratches( i hear hori is good)
2.get a replacement at dealextreme
 

Omoikane1979

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2007
Messages
140
Trophies
0
Age
42
Website
Visit site
XP
121
Country
Netherlands
I made a topic once on screen protectors. I asked people to post their opinions of the screen protector they bought. You can find it by searching if you want to consider different brands.

I can tell you in advance that Hori is good, but Capdase will cover the touch screen without leaving 1 mm gaps (which makes cleaning somewhat easier).

Also most scratch repair kits will use some kind of abrasive solution to 'even out' the scratch so I'd advice you to Google a lot and read the reviews before buying any.
 

thieves like us

chaos personified
Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2003
Messages
1,056
Trophies
0
Age
56
Location
left of the pond
Website
Visit site
XP
385
Country
United States
azotyp said:
I wouldn't use this on your ds. the original apple ipods had glass screens (which is why they say not to use their product on the 2nd generation ipods). the ds touch screen is comprised of a plastic and will probably melt.

your best bet is to get it repaired by nintendo (if it's still under warranty) or to purchase one of the replacement ones from DX.
 

spotanjo3

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2002
Messages
10,922
Trophies
1
XP
5,280
Country
United States
Your best way is not to buy the game that require to use stylus such as:

Mario & Sonic at Beijing Olympics

which require alots of scratch and faster movement stylus on the touchscreen that can be damage to your touchscreen.

I don't buy the games that require movement which scratch a lots OR buy a screen protector but my prefer is not to buy the game that require stylus on the screen a lot like Mario & Sonic at Beijing Olympics. I dont like this game because it is bad for your touchscreen for damage and scratch unless you don't care.
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i always do hours of research before i buy anything because half the crap you see gets bad reviews especially when it's on sale, stuff is usually on sale because it was a bad deal at full price and nobody was buying it
    Gift
  • KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie:
    Calm your tits it sound okay for the money lol
    Gift
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sound bars are a scam
    Gift
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    No comment on whatever particular unit Kennie bought, don't really care
    Gift
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Just, in general, sound bars are a scam.
    Gift
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    An actual decent to good sound bar is going to be as expensive as a lower end home theater in a box system with less functionality and a poorer sound stage
    Gift
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Which is to say you're spending so much money to still have 100% of the sound come from the bottom of the TV.
    Gift
  • KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie:
    As long as it sounds good that's all I give a fuck about lol
    Gift
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    aye long as you're happy with your purchase that's the important part
    Gift
  • KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie:
    You really can't judge based on video reviews as it's not the pure sound coming from it
    Gift
  • KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie:
    So any product reviewer can just say spend $200 more on this cause it sounds better be your own judge
    Gift
  • KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie:
    Plus stores have that 30 day return thing if you're not happy with it return it it shouldn't need to be a huge deal lol
    Gift
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I gotta sit down for a bit and play around with the new surround receiver I bought
    Gift
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Does everything I need it to however it's got some peculiarities that either I'm just being big dumb and not understanding right, or are a complete dealbreaker
    Gift
  • KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie:
    I'd love to own a good klipsch or Yamaha receiver but I don't really need to spend $200+ on a receiver living in a single bedroom apartment
    Gift
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    *looks around nervously at single bedroom apartment*
    Gift
  • KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie:
    As long as it booms out the crackhead I live around it's good enough
    Gift
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Funny that, I actually just replaced a Yamaha receiver, replaced it with a manufacturer refurbished Denon unit
    Gift
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Only reason for replacing is that the Yamaha unit was like 8 years old and didn't support 4k video
    Gift
  • KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie:
    Denon makes good shit
    Gift
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    And now that I think of it, only a single device that's plugged into it is even capable of outputting a 4k signal anyway lmfao
    Gift
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    my chromecast
    Gift
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    ps4, xbox one, switch, all 1080p I think. I don't have the ps5 or xsx yet
    Gift
  • KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie:
    I wish Marshall could make good 7.1 receivers but they're more amp related
    Gift
  • KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie:
    And audio technica
    Gift
    KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie: And audio technica