Removing Scratches?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by JPH, May 7, 2008.

May 7, 2008

Removing Scratches? by JPH at 6:37 AM (2,401 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. JPH
    OP

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    I've got two pretty nasty scratches on my touch screen (too much TWEWY!).

Do you guys know some good ways of getting rid of them? They're annoying [​IMG]

2. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    get a new replacement touch screen?
    as far as i know
    scratches arent really like erasable
    maybe theres some kinda remedy
    but for now
    just use lotsa screen protectors to prevent your screen from getting even more scratched up

3. iffy525

Member iffy525 not famous

United States
    Yeah, I don't think there is anything you can do. A scratch is an actual physical indent in the screen so there is nothing you can do about it to get it back to the way it was. Just get a screen protector to prevent even more scratches.

4. Curley5959

Member Curley5959 CCC Member!

Australia
    In my opinion, when you first get your DS, you should apply a pair of screen protectors on it to prevent scratches happening..

Usually, scratches wont come off, depends on how bad they are, and in your case, maybe try some lens cleaner and apply a pair of protectors..

Idk whether the lens protector will work or not but there may be some form of polish out for the DS by now for scratches..

Hope this helps

5. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    You can try getting one of those glass/scratch repair kits that contain a solution that fills in the scratches and basicly "removes" them. Their normally made for glasses and the such but it may work on the Nintendo DS screen. The only alternative is replace the screen.

6. JPH
    OP

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    I understand that the scratch is physically a sort of dent in the screen...I'm just trying to figure out what solution I can use to fill it in - as they're super annoying. I'll look into that, thanks Narin.

If you guys can think of ways to remove scratches, or have experience and solutions in doing so - please share. [​IMG]

7. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Well, there premade scratch repair solutions for glass. I believe its some sort of silicate solution that fills in the scratches and piratically makes them invisible bu blending in with the glass. I tried it before (Not on a DS though) and it worked very well. You could never tell that there was scratches on the glass.

8. JPH
    OP

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Aha, found something interesting!
    These Novus bottles are supposed to un-scratch Nintendo DS screens, PSP screen, CD, DVD, etc.! [​IMG]
    They're not very expensive...and they look like they work (in Youtube - enter search terms 'Tap Plastic Scratch' and it'll show you the product in use).
    I'm going to order some of that stuff soon, and make sure to put a screen protector on my DS [​IMG]

9. Anorhc

Member Anorhc GBAtemp Regular

United States
    When you order it and perform the repair, tell us how it turns out. I might want to give it a try if it proves successful on your part.

10. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I've used these products before (but not on a DS screen). They are quality products, but be very careful! They don't fill in the scratches (in fact, I don't think that products that claim to fill in scratches on plastic really fill in scratches either). They are actually mild abrasives that "even out" the scratches so that they're less noticeable. Essentially, they sand away the plastic around the scratches to even out the surface. Novus 1, 2, and 3 have increasing levels of abrasion, so read the instructions carefully (generally, start with the lowest and work your way up if scratches remain).

The link you provided only sells individual bottles, and you should probably get one of each. There is a "starter kit" with small 2oz bottles of all 3 polishes, which should contain more than enough for a DS screen if you're going to attempt it. It might be cheaper than buying separate bottles.

Here's the website of the manufacturer: http://www.novuspolish.com/

And here's a video showing you how to use it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRUiN4aN43A

-Bri

11. GodMedia

Newcomer GodMedia Member

United States
    I've seen that Novus stuff and stuff like it in action before. This stuff is only really good for real mild scratches. If your screens have any kind of actual gouge in them, then this won't solve the problem.

Even their website says, "removes fine scratches, haziness, and abrasions."

As stated before, these products are really just liquid sandpaper that will wear down the plastic until you can't see the little hairline scratches anymore. On a proper scratch, they will, at most, smooth out the surface of the scratches edges, but there will still be a visible and tangible dent there. Even then, if not used correctly, these products can actually kill the glossy finish of a plastic altogether due to their abrasive nature.

Due to the delicate nature of most devices that you would use this stuff on, even the highest abrasion factor (Novus 3) would not wear enough plastic away to truly hide a proper scratch until it seemed "removed."

I'm not saying not to do this, it probably just isn't going to do what most people think it will. Once you physically damage the plastics of your devices, there is no magic way to repair them. Proper care and protection before is the only real solution.

PS - before anyone goes on to argue that the website says it's good for heavy scratches, it also says, "not for use on eyeglasses, polycarbonate, or coated plastics." This means that plastics that are delicate or whose surface smoothness and clarity are critical (i.e. the screens on a DS) should not be repaired this way. Chances are that you'll only end up doing more damage than good in the end.

12. wilddenim

Member wilddenim Candy!

United Kingdom
    Still under warrenty? Replace it. My fiance had his badly scratched. His temper is .... Let's not go there.

And it got replaced by the shop GAMESTATION (UK Store) without problems.

13. azotyp

Member azotyp GBAtemp Maniac

Poland
  14. Holaitsme

Member Holaitsme 10/10 would be loyal again

United States
    you got two options
    1. get a screen protector to protect it from future scratches( i hear hori is good)
    2.get a replacement at dealextreme

15. Omoikane1979

Member Omoikane1979 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I made a topic once on screen protectors. I asked people to post their opinions of the screen protector they bought. You can find it by searching if you want to consider different brands.

I can tell you in advance that Hori is good, but Capdase will cover the touch screen without leaving 1 mm gaps (which makes cleaning somewhat easier).

Also most scratch repair kits will use some kind of abrasive solution to 'even out' the scratch so I'd advice you to Google a lot and read the reviews before buying any.

16. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    I wouldn't use this on your ds. the original apple ipods had glass screens (which is why they say not to use their product on the 2nd generation ipods). the ds touch screen is comprised of a plastic and will probably melt.

your best bet is to get it repaired by nintendo (if it's still under warranty) or to purchase one of the replacement ones from DX.

17. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Your best way is not to buy the game that require to use stylus such as:

Mario & Sonic at Beijing Olympics

which require alots of scratch and faster movement stylus on the touchscreen that can be damage to your touchscreen.

I don't buy the games that require movement which scratch a lots OR buy a screen protector but my prefer is not to buy the game that require stylus on the screen a lot like Mario & Sonic at Beijing Olympics. I dont like this game because it is bad for your touchscreen for damage and scratch unless you don't care.