Removing menu updates without trucha signing?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by StacMaster-S, Jun 28, 2008.

Jun 28, 2008
  1. StacMaster-S
    OP

Member StacMaster-S GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Since I'm already here, may as well post one other thing I've been trying to figure out today.

Since I've made the jump to 3.3U, my one trucha signed game (Japanese version of Brawl with system update removed) is now useless unless I load it through Gecko. Now I kind of assumed that with being at 3.3U my clean copy of J-Brawl would simply work since the menu system version was going to be higher than whatever system update was on the disc (3.1J?) and since I have a WiiKey, but of course that's not the case... whenever I pop in the disc it shows that "system update" picture in the Disc Channel and I have to boot through Gecko to bypass it.

So I ended up trying to patch my clean DVD-9 Brawl ISO with the latest version of BrickBlocker, which I thought would remove the system update without trucha, but apparently that brings up an error message as soon as the disc is popped in (similar to a trucha signed disc). Does that mean that BrickBlocker is resigning the disc, or that the new system software is actually detecting BrickBlocked discs?

Anyway I'm confused... all I want to do it play a clean DVD-9 version of Brawl without loading thru Gecko... somehow I thought it would be easy to do but maybe it's not going to happen.

Any ideas?

2. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    If you don't have the Japanese News and Weather Channels, it will always ask you to update, just to install them.

Once you have the regional dupes installed, the game will stop asking to update.

3. StacMaster-S
    OP

United States
    Oh awesome... that's just what I needed to know!

Well actually, can I even do that now? I mean, if I let it install 3.1J while I have 3.3U will it blow the whole thing to pieces? Or would it just skip everything that was higher version and install the J-News/Weather channels?

It's a good thing I'm not making this way more difficult than it should be. >__>

4. Jax

Portugal
    I'm almost positive that it will only install the channels, since your firmware version is higher than the one required.

5. StacMaster-S
    OP

United States
    Just tried it, worked perfectly! Well, I mean I do have to keep the J-News/Weather channels on the last page... but hey, it's better than loading HBC or using the GeckoOS just for one game. [​IMG]

Thanks!

6. trent_fox

Member trent_fox GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Jax is right. It will do nothing except add Japanese News and Weather channels. Simply let it put those on and then drag the channels to your far right screen so you never have to see them.

EDIT: I'm like lord of being a minute too late with my posts today.

7. Jax

Portugal
    No prob [​IMG]