Remove the three character search limit

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Dear Tempers and staff, I would like to suggest removing the three characters search limit, that makes terms with 3 or less characters be ignored on a forum search.

Imagine for example that you want to look for threads on the topic "3DS RTS games", so you do a search for thread titles containing "3DS RTS games"... what do you get?

Well, all threads that contains "games" on the title, what about 3DS, or RTS? ignored... so useful.

There are many other three character terms that might be common for searching, like RPG, FPS, GBA, PSP, PS4, WII, CFW, XCI, NCA, NSP, CIA, FBI, HDD, GUI, FTP, RCM, ROM, etc.
The same can also be said even for two character terms like E3, 4K, HD, SD, Ys, etc.

Searching for thread including those kind of terms only in their title is quite useful and would be very nice to have that feature.

PS: If this feels like déjà vu, it is because probably you've already seen it before https://gbatemp.net/threads/remove-the-search-limits.403810/

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I also agree. I use Bing instead of Google, I think Bing won't use the workaround.
Bing uses most of the same search options as Google. What Issac listed above works on Bing, as well as every other half decent search engine.

Regarding the issue, the entire search function itself needs a good overhaul IMO (as mentioned, Google is so much better than the stock Xenforo search). I imagine the 3 letter limit is something built into the default search function of Xenforo, and can't be changed without changing the plug-in. From what I recall, nearly every Xenforo site I've used has the same limit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Thankfully the N64 had a metric ton of other fantastic games. I do kind of hate the controller...