Remove all traces of homebrew...?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by K.Wall.24, Jan 1, 2011.

Jan 1, 2011
  1. K.Wall.24
    OP

Member K.Wall.24 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Okay, so I just got a new router, so I had to go into the connection settings on my wii and change them, initiating a connection test, which in turn cause an update. Now, this wouldn't be a huge problem. I was on 4.1, which I softmodded to 4.2, but it wasn't actually 4.2, blah blah blah. Anyway now I'm on on 4.3, and I have HBC and stuff still there, but my CFG doesn't work.

The reason I want to remove all traces of homebrew is because I don't know what is on my wii. I never kept track of what I was installing in terms of IOS and cIOS, mainly because I don't fully understand it. If I remove all homebrew, I will start homebrew from scratch. I just remember when I first got my wii, I followed this one guys guide every time a new update came. But then he went AWOL and that was back on 3.4. So, ever since, I have pieced together whatever works. And now I have no clue about what is and isnt on my wii. So, how can I remove all traces of homebrew, and cIOS?

2. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    don't 'remove all traces'.....simply mod it again as though it were virgin (skipping the HBC installation as you know you have that at least)....

the update stubbed your cIOS slots which is why your cfg doesn't work....

use Modmii....(link in my sig)

3. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    It's not possible to remove it, simply re-install and re-mod everything using modmii, this is the best thing you can do.

4. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Get ModMii, and say that it's a virgin Wii. No need to remove all traces of homebrew.

5. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    Shoulda setup priiloader to block all system updates, and just Hit no in the screen where it asked you if you wanted to update (setting up and testing the network connection DOES NOT FORCE an update, you hit Yes on a dialogue you shouldn't have like a dummy). Also don't delete anything, that's a recipe for disaster, just follow one of the many guides posted on this website and just reinstall everything.

6. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    Yes it is. Comex's nand formatter. But thats not safe to use, and especially for the OP who doesn't understand any of this.

And yes, like everyone else is saying, use ModMii.

7. bigguy283

Newcomer bigguy283 Member

United Kingdom
    hi there!
    i have the same problem where my son updated his wii (modchipped and softmoded)on xmas day because he wanted his wii speak to work..
    now his wii still has homebrew and wii flow and neogamma 9, but when he tries to run games of harddisk he just get black screen!!
    do i need to do the whole modmii hack, i.e do i need to use lego indiana jones?
    what part of modmii do i need to do please??
    thanks

8. Kittymat

Member Kittymat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    If you have the homebrew channel then its easy, follow the guide from after the install of trhe homebrew channel.

Without it, then it can be expensive. The original Lego Indiana is fetching £80 on Ebay!

9. bigguy283

United Kingdom
    hi again!
    thanks
    as i have a chipped wii though wont a copy of jones do? as i use copy of zelda to do softmod before
    thanks
    again

10. w!!

Member w!! GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If it's chipped, a copy should work.

Also, doing a connection test only offers the upgrade option. It is not a requirement. Perhaps you should consider installing Priiloader this time and disabling both online and disc updates so you (or anyone else) doesn't accidentally update it again.

11. bigguy283

United Kingdom
    thanks again for help!
    and i will disable all types of updates! good advice

12. bigguy283

United Kingdom
    hi again!
    done the wii today seems to be ok BUT when i go homebew channel and try to launch bootmii the front tray flashes blue and i get blank screen!!
    any ideas why?
    also i had to reinstall wannikos cIOX rev20b to get call of duty black ops to work
    thanks
    by the way i did do what you said and enabled "block online updates" "block dsc updates" etc etc does this mean even if my son does a internet connection test that he wont be asked to do a system update?
    thanks

13. bigguy283

United Kingdom
    hi again!
    think i sorted it all out now got bootmii working did nand backup (had 11 bad blocks is this normall)
    all games running off hardisk using wii flow now!
    lets hope he cant update it now LOL
    thanks for all your help