Remembering Satoru Iwata - 1 Year Later

HVrgjp2.png

It's incredibly hard to believe that one year ago today, former president of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata, passed away. And yet here we are, a year has passed, and the days continue to fly by.

Satoru Iwata was a businessman, a gamer, and a great man. Say what you will of his business acumen, the man brought so much success, so much passion and so much joy to his company and his consumers.

He was a futurist and an idealist. He set the pathway for Nintendo's future in ways they had never thought to go before. He was brilliant, strategic, and caring.

And he is still missed to this day.

I hope everyone will keep this man in your thoughts today, maybe play a little Balloon Fight or Pokemon Go today in his memory.

Thank you Iwata. For everything you did for us. Rest in peace.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Kimashima is much more business oriented, but let's hope he understand what nintendo is about.
Pokemon go's design was ingenius, even the battle system. Pokemon's complex battle and strategies are too much for a mobile game but punch out gameplay is still very good for the platform.
I dislike Japan for historic reasons but Nintendo is always there to shine.
Ah yes, the complex battle system based on four moves and Rock Paper Scissors. C'mon.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah yes, the complex battle system based on four moves and Rock Paper Scissors. C'mon.
And abilities, moves that change stats, carrying items, moves that damage yourself, moves that affect opponents stats, move that cause status, abilities that make you invulnerable to damage and heal when poisoned...

Reactions: Mazamin

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
And abilities, moves that change stats, carrying items, moves that damage yourself, moves that affect opponents stats, move that cause status, abilities that make you invulnerable to damage and heal when poisoned...
This isn't really a thread appropriate for such an argument, so I'll just say that Pokemon is not complex in any way and has nothing on D&D, G.U.R.P.S, Pathfinder or S.P.E.C.I.A.L and leave it at that. It's as simplified as it gets, it's made for kids. Anyone claiming otherwise has probably never looked into the mechanics driving the average WRPG.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This isn't really a thread appropriate for such an argument, so I'll just say that Pokemon is not complex in any way and has nothing on D&D, G.U.R.P.S, Pathfinder or S.P.E.C.I.A.L and leave it at that. It's as simplified as it gets, it's made for kids. Anyone claiming otherwise has probably never looked into the mechanics driving the average WRPG.
Wait until you get trashed in a competition, and pokemon is not all stats or powerful moves. And good luck surviving neo shinyru, omega mark 2, normal shinyru or even omega in ff5a (or a omega shinryu that is not in anyway related to the final boss of dragon ball gt).
At least Iwata did not turn Nintendo into another EA, and hopefully N will never be one. I am still curious if Iwata realise the faults in wii u's gimmick before his departure.

phalk

Handheld Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Foxi4 is so salty at Nintendo that I can't understand why he is at GBA Temp really, as this site is basically a Nintendo fansite.

How can someone hate Earthbound? Something must be wrong with him.

To each his Vita, I guess.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Foxi4 is so salty at Nintendo that I can't understand why he is at GBA Temp really, as this site is basically a Nintendo fansite.

Nothing wrong with liking Nintendo at their best rather than their worst. There's a bunch of reasons to hate Earthbound, which is why the game flopped in the first place, but this isn't a thread about that now, is it?

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I don't like earth bound either, but clearly @Foxi4 has problems with JRPG in general because there is no way turn based can be more complicated than wrpg because they are even superior to real action games and platformers in terms of action.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't like earth bound either, but clearly @Foxi4 has problems with JRPG in general because there is no way turn based can be more complicated than wrpg because they are even superior to real action games and platformers in terms of action.
I love *good* JRPG's and nowhere have I said that anything about turn-based vs. real time, and even if I did, the flow of time has nothing to do with RPG engines. This isn't the thread for this, if you want to have this discussion, make a thread elsewhere.

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
The 3DS *is* failing against the onslaught of smartphones, have you seen the recent list of releases? The platform is dying, it has been dying for months now. The Wii was a fluke due to a gimmick of motion controls that it offered at a low entry fee, just like the NDS which combined affordability and a touchscreen interface - something most low-end devices at the time didn't offer. None of those machines are particularily good or innovative - two of them just happened to fall into an unexpected market niche. There's no denying that the PSP was superior to the NDS in every way or that the PS3/360 were superior to the Wii in every way, that's why the PS3/360 still sell well today while the Wii is in the realm of obscurity. We love those machines, but by all metrics they suck. They're nothing like the NES or the SNES which were cutting edge when they came out, even when compared to consumer PC's. Iwata was a great man, but I choose to remember him for what he was great at - games, not running a company.
So he help 3 console sell billion units just by luck? And 3DS falling again smartphone because it have only 2-3 great game coming? Then what is the upcoming triple AAA list games for smartphone then? By that logic smartphone gaming had been dead since 2013.

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Excellent designer, terrible businessman. The best years of Nintendo were definitely the ones with Iwata in charge of game development, the downfall began when he stopped working with games and started working with money - in many ways that's probably what contributed to his untimely departure. He'll be remembered, forever.
What are you even talking about?
He was in control of the business side when Nintendo released two of their most successful systems ever, the NDS and the Wii.

Last edited by [Truth],

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What are you even talking about? He was in control of the business side when Nintendo released two of their most successful systems ever, the NDS and the Wii.
He was also in charge when Nintendo released some of their lowest-performing systems, including the Wii U or the Gamecube, so there's two sides to this coin. I don't know how much of the Wii/DS's success can be attributed to Iwata and how much to Steve Jobs and the iPhone craze he generated. Both systems were a product of their time and clearly lost their appeal over time, which can be seen by looking at the lower sales of the Wii U and the 3DS. You also can't dismiss the fact that the NES was released during the computer crash - selling anything at all would've been a success, meanwhile Nintendo revived the industry with it altogether, reaching record-breaking sales in a non-existant market. That, and the gaming population is substantially bigger now - you're not accounting for that while looking at just the number of total units sold. There are many factors that come into play here, but it's also a matter of subjective opinions - Iwata was just a better programmer and designer in my opinion, yours can differ. That's neither here nor there though, we're discussing minutae of my innocuous comment instead of honouring a great man in the anniversary of his untimely death.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
He was also in charge when Nintendo released some of their lowest-performing systems, including the Wii U or the Gamecube, so there's two sides to this coin. I don't know how much of the Wii/DS's success can be attributed to Iwata and how much to Steve Jobs and the iPhone craze he generated. Both systems were a product of their time and clearly lost their appeal over time, which can be seen by looking at the lower sales of the Wii U and the 3DS. You also can't dismiss the fact that the NES was released during the computer crash - selling anything at all would've been a success, meanwhile Nintendo revived the industry with it altogether, reaching record-breaking sales in a non-existant market. That, and the gaming population is substantially bigger now - you're not accounting for that while looking at just the number of total units sold. There are many factors that come into play here, but it's also a matter of subjective opinions - Iwata was just a better programmer and designer in my opinion, yours can differ. That's neither here nor there though, we're discussing minutae of my innocuous comment instead of honouring a great man in the anniversary of his untimely death.
Wii and ds have solid titles that uae their potentials, their successors do not.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wii and ds have solid titles that uae their potentials, their successors do not.
Let's not talk about systems or games here, I'm sorry I even brought up my rather controversial stance on this, the whole exchange is taking the spotlight away from the point of the thread and I don't like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free