Hardware Remeber my dream of a new computer built by me?

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I finally shoveled out $450 for a new computer!!!

stats (basic):
core 2 duo 2.2 (e4500)
2GB RAM (DDR2 667 5300)
8 USB
1 firewire
onboard gfx card (945G) gonna buy a 8600GTS at my birthday!

Ubuntu 7.10
Windows XP
DS

thnx for participating in all those posts of mine!

PS: I built it!!! YAY!!!

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
hehe $450... I had to shovel out $4,000 for mine back in 2005. It still stands up to today's machines
smile.gif

If I had to spend $450 on my machine, I'd get 1 component
tongue.gif

grickherder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ubuntu is bloatware IMO. Get something like SUSE. Or if you like Ubuntu get Xubuntu. Its quicker
wink.gif

Compared to other versions of linux, Ubuntu might be "bloatware" but it hardly is objectively speaking. I run Ubuntu on a 2 ghz athlon 64 with a gig or non-ddr2 ram. Runs great. As good as it did when I first got the computer. Everything is snappy.

That said, there are lightning quick distros for linux. I setup a non profit's computer room using Vector Linux on a bunch of Pentium MMX 166mhz computers. Worked great. Firefox, OpenOffice.org. It all just worked and saved them thousands in new hardware and software.

Ubuntu has a lot of features that makes it worthwhile to a user with even an "old" computer like mine. It still runs fine and I don't notice any "bloat." That said, I think Xubuntu is pretty cool as well. The original poster's computer though, is definitely fast enough that regular Ubuntu using GNOME will be nice and snappy.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm back.
So im doing a fresh install and will just transfer all my stuff because a repair-install has all my old gunk. Thnx for the congrats! :blush:

I'm not gonna OC my processor (i have to 2.7) but ubuntu is really starnge with an OC'd system...

I'll post pics later.

PS: I RMA'd my DVD drive from newegg (everything was from http://www.newegg.com ) because my mobo doesn't support IDE devices (besides HD's)

link to actual wishlist: https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishLi....asp?ID=9421147

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Sad you didn't get a Quad
frown.gif
?

I am making one rigth now.. total cost: 1200$
But it also PWNS!

Q6600 - OCing to 3.0Ghz
4GB 800Mhz DDR2 ram
Asus P5KC
8800GT 512MB GDDR3
550w Silent power supply
250 Harddrive 7200rpm with silent fluid
20x dual layer dvd burner
5.1 Soundcard
Gigabit lan
Coolermaster chassis (http://www.coolermaster.com/products/produ...tbcate=17&id=31)

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow $450? That's pretty good. I built a new one just a week ago.

M2N32-SLI Deluxe - 1 Firewire, 6 USB, HD sound
550W Silent Power Supply
XFX 8600 GTS 256MB DDR2(3?) (One more video card slot left)
Dual 2 GB RAM (4 GB in total with 2 more slots left)
LG DVD writer (HD DVD reader)
320 GB Hard drive

Sorry if my terms aren't correct, I'm not that good with computers. It was my first time building one.
tongue.gif
Mine costs $900. Its pretty good for $900.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
sheesh, calm down guys! I spent the money I had at the time (which is a lot for a kid with now income or allowance)

am up to date on video card drivers, btw

anyone else experience this? (Steam won't load games)

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
quadcores use more electricity. and most games won't take full advantage of it..ahhh my friend's still trying to bug me into buying a 24" widescreen and upgrade to core2duo... money looks better in the bank though, I'm just running P4 northwood with a 19" crt and it is pretty decent for everything I do.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Awesome computer bro
wink.gif
The 8600 will help with games a heap.

Just watch out for computer elitists that will tell you your computer's crap because it doesn't have the newest most expensive parts out
wink.gif

FrEEz902

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
Heh, i got my computer here for about $950 (directly converted) without the monitor.

Specs:
2GB Apogee ram 800Mhz
320GB SATA HDD
Nvidia XFX 680LTsli motherboard
Geforce 8500GT XFX 512MB Graphics card
Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz processor

It's not a brand, i 'built' it ;P, it's cheaper that way, and i get the specs i want. Anyways congrats. But on the Graphics card, i recommend you get the 8800GT, it's cheap, and MUCH better than the 8800GTS. If you don't really have money, i recommend the ATI X1950 Pro. Even though it's only DX9 supported, it's a pretty good card. Besides, if you USE the DX10 support with the 8600GTS, you would have to play the game on medium graphics, or high but with a slightly choppy framerate, whereas with the X1950 Pro, you can play it on max, with a good framerate, even though it's without the DX10. Either way, D?X10 hasn't made much of a difference in games, makes it *A BIT* prettier. However, microsoft will release DX10.1 soon (next year i think), and when they do, it will not be forwards compatible with current DX10 cards, which is a bummer. In my opinion, better to get a cheap but one of the best DX9 cards, instead of a 'good' DX10 card which you will probably throw away anyway because of DX10.1.

[ /rant]

Edit: About the graphics card, if you don't care too much about your game looking better than real life (Crysis, anyone?) then you can get whichever card you want
tongue.gif
, and ignore my 5-minute-rant.
biggrin.gif

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
thnx Cubin'! as of now, your cool!
cool.gif

anyone recommend a good (not crysis better than the human eye card) but a good one. I heard Geforces are better than ATIs... just what I heard...

and my Portal crashes once i even TOUCH the portal!! wtf?!?!? GFX card issue? TF2 crashes alot too!lost coast just is LAGGY!!!! lol. HL2 is a bit choppy. but GMOD 10 is alright... and fun!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?