Reloading IOS on vWii with causes black screen, but only with hard drive attached

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by YetAnotherLurker, Mar 14, 2016.

1. YetAnotherLurker
    OP

YetAnotherLurker Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2016
    Got a strange problem with vWii and I can't for the life of me work out what it is...

I installed the Homebrew Channel and d2x d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii in IOS 249 (base 56) and 250 (base 57) on my 32Gb Wii U 5.5.1 EUR. Nothing else was installed to the NAND.

As for the SD card I used a SanDisk 2Gb, as used in my old Wii, but reformatted with SD Formatter so no file left about from when it was being used on the Wii could mess things up. I Installed Aspect Fix, Nintendont, and CFG USB Loader MOD 70 r78 on the card. CFG USB Loader's settings were set up from scratch (starting up with IOS 249).

Running Homebrew Channel followed by Aspect Fix worked, and came back to the HBC no problems. After that I could start up CFG USB Loader and from there return back to HBC.

Then I bought the Y cable and plugged in the hard drive from the old Wii (WD Passport 500Gb USB 3.0 FAT formatted).

Instead of everything working, when I launched the HBC followed by Aspect Fix, it just goes black. :blink:

As for CFG USB Loader, it does start up, but if I launch something which needs IOS 250 instead of 249 the screen goes black when it tries to reload the IOS. It also can't return to the HBC.

As for Nintendont that also can't get back to the HBC.

I tried Homebrew Filter instead of HBC which solves the aspect ratio problem, but it's still got the same problems with CFG and Nintendont.

I've got a LAN adaptor but I unplugged it and removed it from the Internet connection settings, so it's just one plain WiFi WPA2 AES connection. That didn't help.

But if I unplug the drive, it all works again...

I've replaced d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii with d2x-v10-beta52-vWii in both IOS 249 and 250 but that doesn't make any difference.

The strangest thing is Aspect Fix not working, which is a really simple program which uses an untouched IOS 58 just like HBC, only it can't return back to HBC after running if the hard drive is plugged in.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've run out of them...

2. YetAnotherLurker
    OP

YetAnotherLurker Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2016
    Up.