Homebrew [Release] Zelda OLB for 3ds

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
ZeladOLB.png

Exactly one month after the preview release of Zelda ROTH for 3DS, I release the first preview of the port on 3DS of the second chapter of this Zelda fan game saga: Zelda Oni Link Begins.

From v0.2 the game should be playable, from v0.3 there are sound and other two languages (Spanish and French).

All you need to know about this game is in the official site of the game: http://www.zeldaroth.fr

Compiled game (3dsx and CIA versions): http://github.com/nop90/ZeldaOLB/releases
Source: http://github.com/nop90/ZeldaOLB/

The first chapter (stable release) is here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-zelda-roth-for-3ds.425503/

Credits:
The original game is made by Vincent Jouillat (http://www.zeldaroth.fr)
This game uses the sf2d sftd and sfil libraries created by @xerpi

Changelog

Ver. 1.1 (07 June 2017)
- Improved Italian translation
- Added a dirty workaround to avoid a memory leak
- Renamed villageest.raw music file adding a startig capital letter to avoid the music module crash entering in Ruto Village

Ver. 1.0 (02 June 2017)

- Completed Italian translation (thanks to @Rinnegatamante )

Ver. 0.4 (11 March 2017)
- Changed some music that was from ROTH and not from OLB

Ver. 0.3 alpha (12 June 2016)
- Activated sounds
- Added Spanish and French languages (some menu not completed yet)
- Mapped missing keys

Ver. 0.2 alpha (11 June 2016)
- Fixed memory leaks
- Added a CIA version

Ver. 0.1 alpha (07 June 2016)

- First alpha release. It's a preview that is barely playable

Installation

In the zip there is a folder with the 3dsx and the smdh files inside, to be used with a homebrew launcher. All the resources are included in the executable using romfs.

There is also a zip with the CIA version.

The game creates a ZeldaOLB subfolder inside the 3ds folder if doesn't exist. Here will be saved your game progresses.

Commands

- Read / Open / Speak: A
- Confirm / Pass text: A
- Move Link: Arrows
- Run : R hold
- Use sword: B
- Spin attack: B hold then dropped
- Item selection: L + START
- Use selected object: Y
- Pick up items: X
- Put mask: L + X
- Teleport ONI at the temple entrance: L + R
- Open the map: START (outside of dungeons)
- Open the map: START (in dungeons)
- View defeated monsters: L and B
- Look around: L and direction
- Enlarge / Shrink screen size: L and A
- Show help: L and Y
- Save / Quit: SELECT
- Close the game: SELECT from the title screen

Known Bugs

- none

To Do List

-

Screenshots

ONI1.png
ONI2.png

ONI3.png

Last edited by nop90,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have tried it ten times in a row and always crashes on the same bit. During the opening intro it gets to a screen with the text. Here we are that's it don't move anymore I set the portal are you ready.

Game locks up and i have to switch off the 3ds

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm testing it on the emulator and was able to reach the first temple. There are too many things that can crash a real 3ds at the moment.

Tonight i'll test it on ny 3ds to try to figure out what is wrong.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm testing it on the emulator and was able to reach the first temple. There are too many things that can crash a real 3ds at the moment.

Tonight i'll test it on ny 3ds to try to figure out what is wrong.
Cool can't wait for a fix. Just to let you know tried it on my other 3ds and still crashes at the same bit.

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
right, srry
I beg your pardon. I copied the text from the other zelda release and missed that reference to Cia while editing the text.

But in about a week you'll have your cia vesion.

At the moment the game is playble only on an emulator so a cia isn't useful.

Reactions: Asia81

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Tracing allocation/deallocation I found the cause of the crash, but I have to find where in the code it happens.

The bad news are that that at the moment the memory deallocation is a disaster and I'll need a lot of work to fix everything. I made so many changes in the original code to fix Zelda ROTH that I can't remember everything I made, so I have to start again to trace the code of Zelda OLB and fix every problem again one by one.

I did it once, and I'll do it this time too. It's a great exercise to develop debugging skills.

After seaching on google I found that the ports of Xelda ROTH on other devices (i.e PSP) have the same problem of memory leak and randon crash, but noone tryied to fiX them. I posted my fix on ww.zeldaroth.fr in nthe hope that someone could find them useful, but no one answered me. Too bad.

I think that is good for the 3ds scene (that has so few homebrew developer) to have a stable release of these zelda games. I hope that other developer will be motivated to start developing for the 3ds.

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Uploaded on github the updated source fof a stable version of the game.

Tomorrov I'll made a baner and I'll release a new build in 3dsx and cia versions.

The big thing missing is the sound and the language selection, that I'll complete next week.

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Just released a new version with sound and other two languages (French and Spanish).

The game should be complete: for a final build I only have to translate some menu (the ones with the records amd maybe something else) and add the Italian translation.

But the game is completely untested, so please play it and let me know all the things that need to be fixed.

Now I'll take a long break from the Zelda games, probably I'll finish this work in July. But if you find a big problem (or several small bugs) I could consider to make a fix release.

Liambass

Trophies
XP
Country
I've just finished my play through. Good work, I had one crash but could not replicate. Other than that, the were 2 absolutely tiny things:

1) Any "tutorial" text in the game still shows the default PC keys
2) When you have life, magic, and OniLink in the status window on the bottom screen two of them overlap (can't remember which two I'm afraid, whichever ones are at the top I think, life and magic?)

Great game and it's wonderful to be able to play it decently on the move (last time I checked the PSP port was a bit chappy), I look forward to 3T!

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've just finished my play through. Good work, I had one crash but could not replicate. Other than that, the were 2 absolutely tiny things:

1) Any "tutorial" text in the game still shows the default PC keys
2) When you have life, magic, and OniLink in the status window on the bottom screen two of them overlap (can't remember which two I'm afraid, whichever ones are at the top I think, life and magic?)

Great game and it's wonderful to be able to play it decently on the move (last time I checked the PSP port was a bit chappy), I look forward to 3T!

Thank you for your feedbacks, it's great that the game is completly playable without any test (my official tester is my 9 year on that is at the last crystal of Zelda OLB :D)

I know that the translation isn't complete I'l fix everything next month, than I'll start Zelda 3T.

At the moment I'm starting a new project in collaboration with other people but I neeed something more than my fake SDL layer, so I'm working on completing the libSDL posted here on gbatemb a year ago.

Reactions: angelhp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it