Homebrew Homebrew app [Release] [WIP] dsidl - QR based file downloader for the DSi

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
OP
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
So I was a bit bored and decided to duct tape dsi-camera to the WIP download code from Universal-Updater's WIP DSi port... Throw in a file browser and name entry and it's a functional*, if not super pretty, file downloader for the DSi!

*your milage may vary, dsiwifi is very finicky and only works on certain routers

Usage is very simple:
  1. Add a Wi-Fi network in System Settings under "Advanced Settings"
    • Due to compatibility issues in the dsiwifi library not all routers will work, WEP/open routers also likely don't work at all
  2. Open dsidl and wait for it to load, if it gets stuck you can reload it while holding SELECT to view more detailed logging information
  3. Create a QR code for what you want to download and scan it with your DSi
  4. Choose the directory to save to, edit the file name if needed, and your file will start downloading
  5. You're done!

Mainly made this since UU's DSi port has stalled due to dsiwifi being unstable. This isn't exactly any better in that regard but it is a much simpler idea that I've had for a while and I wanted to put something out there that used dsiwifi. I may try forking dsiwifi myself to see if I can improve it, but I'm not sure how much I'd be able to do... I'm quite familiar with much of the DSi but actually reverse engineering things and such always tends to get me stuck, I'm better at making something using the docs someone else has already made.

:download: The download is on GitHub and Universal-DB, source code is also on GitHub

(A CIA is provided mainly for testing purposes, 3DS users should probably just use FBI instead)

Last edited by Pk11,
v0.1.0

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
OP
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States

Version 0.1.0 - UI improvements and simple scripting

What's new?​

• UI improvements:
    • Added an overlay to help with QR alignment
      main-menu.png
    • Menus have been made a bit easier to use, it's now usable with broken shoulder buttons
    • The file name is now printed while downloading
  • Scripting
    • Simple scripting functionality has been added, see the wiki page for more information
    • Scripts can either be embedded directly in the QR for ease of creation or have a QR point to a fixed URL so it can more easily be updated

Bug fixes​

• Fixed the loading spinner in the bottom right not working
  • Fixed the file browser not being sorted

:download: As usual, the download is on GitHub and now Universal-DB as well

You can also simply update via QR code from dsidl itself!

174230925-c35cfe2a-0793-4b9f-b45d-ac0627728a62.png

(QR will always be in the GitHub release, might not embed it here in the future)

Thanks to Merith-TK for suggesting many of the new additions and improving the Actions workflows. btw if anyone wants to make an icon for this I have no strong connection to the current one, I just threw it together in a couple minutes to have literally anything but the default lol, preferably animated cause that's fun.

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
Really cool, just a bit of a shame my router isn't supported (netif is not up, old style port).
Btw, I offer to make an icon. I'll attach some suggestions later and animate the ones I like.

Edit: Here's two ideas.
qrcode.gif
icon.png

And a third one which has an arrow splitting ways, though I gave up on that one.

Last edited by MaxiBash,

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It works like a charm with my tp-link router on wpa2 security. That's what I was looking for, cool idea as addons to github repo.
As for me Universal Updater doesn't work at all, don't know why, just stuck on connection init, so good that this one works fine.
What I noticed this program downloads file to parent directory, maybe I'm doing something wrong.
It seems that downloaded file is saved as "ParentDirectoryFileName", it seems that latest slash is missing in the path name.
It would be nice also type direct link via keyboard as additional option, but functionality as it is, is also great.
If only a ftp server homebrew woudl work with this connection that would be awesome. Found one for DSi but it use only wep.
Anyway thanks!

Last edited by plasturion,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.