ROM Hack [Release][WIP] Dragon Quest 8 3ED (Orchestrated, Uncensored and Undubbed)

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, then it exits to homescreen and the 3DS reboot after that.

Ok. Mine didn't reboot but maybe it's because it's a N3DS.

But yeah, I got the freeze. I'm actually searching for the file which cause the freeze.

It might take a little while to fix though, as it's a voice after a pretty long cutscene so it make tests pretty long (except if I'm lucky and if I quickly find the voices of this part in the files by listening to them).

I guess this part can be skipped? As Asia81 completed the game without finding this crash.

Edit : I think I already found where those files are in the sound folders, seems I'm pretty lucky today!

Last edited by davhuit,
Reactions: hiten

hiten

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Ok. Mine didn't reboot but maybe it's because it's a N3DS.

But yeah, I got the freeze. I'm actually searching for the file which cause the freeze.

It might take a little while to fix though, as it's a voice after a pretty long cutscene so it make tests pretty long (except if I'm lucky and if I quickly find the voices of this part in the files by listening to them).

I guess this part can be skipped? As Asia81 completed the game without finding this crash.

Yes, it's not part of the main story.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Again, the crash is caused by Dhoulmagus' laughs (like the first one we found in the game)..

I guess we'll release a new version before the final one we planned, to fix this crash.

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Again, the crash is caused by Dhoulmagus' laughs (like the first one we found in the game)..

I guess we'll release a new version before the final one we planned, to fix this crash.
His laugh is so disturbing, even the game itself gets scared [emoji23]

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The crash is fixed (while keeping the japanese voices).

I just need to recheck the first crash as the first scene which crashed before used some of those files.

And while I was at it, I also fixed the english voice which was still in the cutscene.

Last edited by davhuit,

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I can confirm it didn't break the first crash fix so everything is okay.

The new version will be released tomorrow.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
EUR version of the new undub version is released, I named it V3 to as it's the third version which is released (even if I didn't name the previous version "V2").

USA version will be available tomorrow.

yoshinatsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
EUR version of the new undub version is released, I named it V3 to as it's the third version which is released (even if I didn't name the previous version "V2").

USA version will be available tomorrow.
Hi davhuit!

Could you outline the changes in this version for those of us who haven't followed each change?
Is this considered to be crash-free and complete, or not yet?

Thank you all for your hard work on this project :)

Last edited by yoshinatsu,

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi davhuit!
Could you outline the changes in this version?

Is this considered to be crash-free and complete, or not yet?

It fix a "skippable crash" :

But this crash is not from the main quest so it can be skipped. It's from a flashback that you can completely miss if you don't make a visit again to someone (Kalderasha, near the end of the game) which explain why we managed to complete the game without any crash as we missed this flashback.

And of course, I also added all the english voices I fixed meanwhile:

This version also fix 18 new english voices (roughly half of the remaining english voices has been fixed). Now, you shouldn't hear any english voices (spoken dialogs) during the first 20-25 hours of play (except maybe a few cries/screams).

New english voices fixed in the V3 :

- A dialog from Valentina in the first city.
- On the ship, when Yangus tell his encounter with the main character.
- Two sentences of a templar who block the way to Angelo in the abbey.
- A dialogue during the first encounter with Angelo in the abbey.
- A dialog from Yangus before Marcello puts the group in jail.
- A dialog from Marcello before he puts the group in jail.
- Four dialogues during Angelo's flashback (child)
- A dialog from Emma, when she asks you to help the sad King.
- When Brains talks about the lost ship.
- When you return to the moon world and speak to the elf after trodain castle exploration.
- After defeating the mole boss, one of it's minion dialog.
- One of Angelo's dialog when aquiering the ship.
- When you sneak on the barman and his friend's conversation in Baccarat.
- During a flashback with Dhoulmagus, seen through the crystal ball of Kalderasha.

Except if a new crash is found, the next version will only be released when the undub will be 100% complete.

It is still not 100% complete, though. I fixed it quickly because I didn't want to leave a version with a potential crash (but for people who don't want to bother to switch to the new verison, the old version works fine and can be played from start to end, as long as you don't go back to visit this particular NPC).

Last edited by davhuit,

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Fixed six dialogs at Chateau Felix (Felix and Tom dialogs).

Edit : Just found there is a seventh one but haven't managed to find it yet in the sound files (it seems this one in not in the right order, I will look at it later).

Last edited by davhuit,

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I found a new skippable crash (if you let the princess drink the water of the spring a second time, the princess will appear in your dreams when you sleep, at the next inn, and the game will crash after a few dialogs).

I'll search the problematic file tomorrow and fix the crash, then I'll release a new version because even if it's, again, a skippable crash, I prefer to fix it as quick as I can.

Last edited by davhuit,

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
In the same place where you can download 3DS roms, so of course, not here.

Search for : "[GDrive] Dragon Quest 8 3ED (Orchestrated, Uncensored and Undubbed) [EUR/USA]" on Google, for example.

Last edited by davhuit,

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
In the end, it seems I can't really fix that crash.

Once the japanese files are fixed, they works fine with the OnionFS plugin but crash the game once it's rebuilded as a .cia.

The original english files also works fine with the OnionFS plugin but crash the game once it's rebuilded as a .cia (which is not normal).

I checked every filename for the voice files and there is no error at all so I don't really see where the problem is, except it's only happen once the game is rebuilded).

(Disabling the voices in-game let the player pass the game without any crash, though).

What is weird is, contrary to the other crashes, this one make the 3DS crashes with the other "An error has occured, power down the 3DS, etc..." when the previous ones were just freezing the game.

I need to download the untouched version and check with it, to see if the problem also happen. If it happen, it'll mean it doesn't come from the undub. If it doesn't happen, it'll mean there's a problem somewhere in the undub version.

Edit : The untouched version doesn't crash, which is a good thing. I might have an idea about the crash, I'll try it and check if it fix the crash.

Last edited by davhuit,

ItsTheWolf

Splatoon 2 Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Sorry, I'm just curious, but I kinda wonder why these crashes happen? Do you just simply copy and paste (and probably rename) the files or there are more things that need to be done? And how do you fix these crashes? :D

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Those crashs happen when a japanese file has one channel while the western version want a file with two channels for this file.

So to fix those crashs, we convert the japanese file with one channel to a japanese file with two channels (Asia81 is the one who found this difference and so how to fix the crash while keeping the japanese voices for those files).

But this time, it's different, the files I use are perfectly fine (as they work with the OnionFS plugin which let us replace files without having to rebuild the whole game) so the problem should be different.

The only thing I can think about might the "DREAM" word in the filename. which was in lowercase in the new name file, once converted (The OnionFS doesn't care about it but maybe the rebuilt version care about it), so I'm actually rebuilding a version with uppercase for the "DREAM" word in the filename.

I really hope it's that because if not, I really won't have a clue while it doesn't work (if not, I'll check all the files with the untouched version but I'm pretty sure all my files are fine as I never delete any of them, just overwriting them, also because as the game works fine when I only replace those three files using the OnionFS plugin).

Last edited by davhuit,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1