Homebrew [RELEASE] Wii-DOOM / Wii-HERETIC / Wii-HEXEN / Wii-STRIFE (ALL-IN-ONE) *PROPER*

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Excuse my lack of knowledge but, what practical uses will this have going forward?

I mean, it looks like it would be a different way to develop any kind of homebrew software, right? If so, what differences are compared to the tools we have currently? I guess, if it's real Wii development software, that would have more or better features specific for the hardware.

All this sounds very interesting nonetheless!

Reactions: Tetsuo Shima

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Excuse my lack of knowledge but, what practical uses will this have going forward?

I mean, it looks like it would be a different way to develop any kind of homebrew software, right? If so, what differences are compared to the tools we have currently? I guess, if it's real Wii development software, that would have more or better features specific for the hardware.

All this sounds very interesting nonetheless!
Afaik this is a dev box for Wii, so anything you code will be in 100% pure Wii code which will be FAST, like playing Doom/Quake at full FPS on highest resolution, all other slow ports of games/tools now in faster versions etc...

Reactions: XDel and Maeson

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Well then, that sounds like a pretty big thing! Being able to port a game to become actual Wii Software and take all the advantages of the hardware reads like homebrew dream.

I'll keep an eye on this, and thanks for explaining it!

Reactions: CaptainHIT

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well then, that sounds like a pretty big thing! Being able to port a game to become actual Wii Software and take all the advantages of the hardware reads like homebrew dream.

You're welcome. Though it'll need time to figure out everything I think. We have to wait and see.

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The

That's not my primary goal. First, that would be hard work at all and take lots of time. The second point is that even if one manages to port over everything to the Wii RVL-SDK, you would most likely violate Nintendo's terms of use when releasing compiled binaries coming from the official development environment. Anyway, it's almost hard to get there. The development tools they used for the Wii, are really "bitchy" what means, you are facing several problems like the following:

- ASM inline assembly most likely impossible (very bitchy)
- true (real) ASM suffering several directives / commands (.hidden, FUNC_START, .zero... etc.)

- ASM branch forward / backward commands work in a different way compared with GCC (bne 1f for GCC == bne+ @1 in MetroWerks' ASM compiler / so is 1: in GCC == @1: in MW.)

- compiled ASM object files contain code in reversed order compared to GCC-ASM compiled object files (upside down - figured out using IDA Pro) ...WTF?!...

- no ASM types like "@PROGBITS" / "@NOBITS" etc. usable in the GCC standard form (instead, you have to use it like this: ".section .init,2,1,3" (alignment, type, flags))

- defining sections like this causes problems in libraries like libOGC (while this mode works for the binary and the library separately, it doesn't for the library itself upon linking the binary and library in the end - error "section 'init' is unknown to the linker")

- standard compiler settings producing dozens of errors and/or warnings upon compiling GNU-code

- IDE crashing upon debugging in some cases when browsing through debugged source code files

- several standard variables and functions (eg. "basename" / "va_list" / "attributes" etc.) not usable or even available

- Linker causing error ("'__destroy_global_chain' not found") when using ".skip" command instead of ".zero" in ASM for "C-Runtime" files like "ecrti", "crtbegin", "crtend", "ecrtn"

- compiling C++ code is even trickier... X-(

- incompatibility of RVL-SDK libraries when using GNU-Tools (compiling code works, but the ELF's won't even run) so compiled GCC code != compiled MW code

- resetting hardware is annoying upon bugs in the code (sometimes requires pulling USB EXI cable)

- ODEM not detecting NDEV correctly after resetting (Hardware Revision Number then is "0" or way above "100")

- no sample code files on how to start the debugger / Metro Target Resident Kernel ("MetroTRK") on custom projects which is needed for the debugger

- only standard linker files - no special explanation on sections or examples for several demos inside the RVL-SDK

...and so on... the list of problems is long.

My primary goal is using the RVL-SDK for debugging stuff only. There are no planned releases to RVL-SDK compiled binaries.

By the way: looks like I managed to start a MW compiled libOGC partially - the debugger popped up and stopped inside the library source code, which is a good sign at this moment.

Gesendet von meinem BLA-L29 mit Tapatalk

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
My primary goal is using the RVL-SDK for debugging stuff only. There are no planned releases to RVL-SDK compiled binaries.
So, the project will continue to be shareable in compiled binaries (devkit, like it is right now) and open sourced?

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hmmm... [emoji848]
Is it christmas time already?

Or is it just like "Brother and Sister"...?
7f3455cb367c9c6300fffe6c24f521ff.jpg

Last edited by nitr8,
Reactions: XDel

EddieEddie90

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm having trouble with Hexen... the game doesn't seem to load, it just hangs up when I select the IWAD and then hit start.

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This still needs more investigation. That's for true. But in the end and for now - libOGC is booting. libOGC is the basis for everything else. If this isn't working as expected, everything else will fail.

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This still needs more investigation. That's for true. But in the end and for now - libOGC is booting. libOGC is the basis for everything else. If this isn't working as expected, everything else will fail.

We're counting on you! ;)
Wir zählen auf dich! ;)

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Btw: this is running bareboard.

No OS (System Menu) on the NDEV installed.
No Homebrew Channel.

It's like turning on the console and sending the binary via EXI USB to the device which just let's it run.

There are still some flaws as for example the video output: it doesn't work as expected for printing text (printf) as everything with printf is being caught by the CodeWarrior Process I/O Console on the debugging workstation. I need to turn that off somehow. Oh and, yeah... The MetroTRK debugger works!

nitr8

OP
Trophies
Website
vermillion57.wixsite.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Looks like we have a working OGC library with video output (text only) as well as a working SDL library with video output (for the moment it's just a big fat red screen but it's supposed to be like that). [emoji6]

This is still in a testing state.
Btw: SDL is at version 1.2.15 - the last one that I've been using when porting these 4 games to devkitPro.

Next step will be testing controls, then audio (SDL mixer). This still needs time and I know that there hasn't been happening much since the last official release of the ports but I'm getting closer to where I want to be when using the original debugger.

Last edited by nitr8,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end