Hacking [RELEASE] vitaQuakeIII - Quake III: Arena / Quake III: Team Arena port for PSVITA

Rinnegatamante

OP
Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you for this, Rinnegatamante! My collection is complete! Although this is a lot harder than it was on the computer! Do you think you might be able to implement some sort of aim assist, like you did for Quake 1 on PSP?

Quake 1 on PSP was not made by me.
Quake 1 btw has builtin autoaim server side which got removed since Quake 2 due to interest shifting from singleplayer to multiplayer.

Reactions: MUDD_BR

Emankcin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quake 1 on PSP was not made by me.
Quake 1 btw has builtin autoaim server side which got removed since Quake 2 due to interest shifting from singleplayer to multiplayer.

Oh. I thought you did. Sorry about that. Still though, excellent work you've done on all of these releases! The Quake games are the sole reason I modded my Vita in the first place!

Rinnegatamante

OP
Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
New BETA version available (0.6) with some improvements to the renderer, multiplayer support and added touchscreen support for aiming.

Changelog:
- Added touchscreen support for camera/cursor movement
- Added online and local multiplayer support
- Fixed a bug causing textures to not being rendered in some maps (eg. Q3TOURNEY1)
- Fixed a bug preventing Quake III Arena logo and character model to be rendered in game menus
- Optimized a bit renderer code, now game should run with better framerate

Note:

1) There's a known bug that can cause a game crash when trying to access some multiplayer servers. That issue is still being worked on to actually find the cause of said crash.
2) If you already had v.0.5 you can avoid to download Data Files and you can just replace uiarm.suprx in baseq3 with the file in the attachment of this post

Link:
http://vitadb.rinnegatamante.it/#/info/375

Thanks to all my Patroners for their awesome support:
- XandridFire
- Billy McLaughlin II
- Styde Pregny
- An0tHeROnE
- gnuffy
- Jorge Laurencena
- rsn8887
- PSX-Place.com
- John Wanot
- Count Duckula
- polytoad
- Edd
- Defkyle
- Davenor
- Samuel Batista
- Jaden Emrich
- Elwood Blues
- Justin
- Daniel Crane
- Lars Zondervan
- Yakara Network
- gnmmarechal
- Santiago Quiroga
- Pirloui
- Ramerson Wesley Araujo
- Gelson Silva
- temp_anon
- 2Mourty
- Bryan Hanbury

Attachments

• uiarm.rar
    191.9 KB · Views: 169

jastolze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant to report that using the console to load a map from a key that's bound to that command works, but if you try to exit, leave arena or change map it force closes.

Also, is the console functioning? If so, you should create an on screen keyboard for it next update.

I tested a bunch of custom maps and they all work so far(at least in Q3A, haven't tried Team arena) larger maps slow down, I tried a map decent size with two bots and got about 15-35 FPS, depending on what was going on. In tiny maps, I got a consistent 40+ FPS with 7 other bots.

This report is using version 0.5, so hopefully it'll be a bit faster now. :)

Keep up the awesome work!

Last edited by jastolze,

Qwack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
New BETA version available (0.6) with some improvements to the renderer, multiplayer support and added touchscreen support for aiming.

Changelog:
- Added touchscreen support for camera/cursor movement
- Added online and local multiplayer support
- Fixed a bug causing textures to not being rendered in some maps (eg. Q3TOURNEY1)
- Fixed a bug preventing Quake III Arena logo and character model to be rendered in game menus
- Optimized a bit renderer code, now game should run with better framerate
Something wrong with the 0.6. If i close the game via the option menu exit, the navigation on the vita becomes laggy and somekind of slowmotion feeling. Have to reboot the vita if i want to get back the normal response time. Maybe the application after the closing did not release the allocated memory or wut?

Rinnegatamante

OP
Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
I meant to report that using the console to load a map from a key that's bound to that command works, but if you try to exit, leave arena or change map it force closes.

Also, is the console functioning? If so, you should create an on screen keyboard for it next update.

I tested a bunch of custom maps and they all work so far(at least in Q3A, haven't tried Team arena) larger maps slow down, I tried a map decent size with two bots and got about 15-35 FPS, depending on what was going on. In tiny maps, I got a consistent 40+ FPS with 7 other bots.

This report is using version 0.5, so hopefully it'll be a bit faster now. :)

Keep up the awesome work!

You can lower resolution to greatly increase framerate (check OP).
As for the console, adding sceIme (the official Vita keyboard) is planned (like it currently works on vitaQuake).

Something wrong with the 0.6. If i close the game via the option menu exit, the navigation on the vita becomes laggy and somekind of slowmotion feeling. Have to reboot the vita if i want to get back the normal response time. Maybe the application after the closing did not release the allocated memory or wut?

This generally happens when an application is closed without properly shutting down sceGxm (aka GPU). (For example it may happen if you press PS button when an homebrew is willing to show a Coredump crash screen).
Can't say why it happens however i always close applications by pressing PS button and closing the livearea page. In vitaQuakeIII there are no issues in doing so (differently to vitaQuake where doing so prevents the saving of the config file if it got modified).

Reactions: jastolze

jastolze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Rinnegatamante That's awesome about the console.

If I make a compatibility list for custom q3 map compatibility, would you be willing to add it to the original post so people will see how well it runs?

I'll include the Vitaq3 version, FPS, glitches or texture flaws, how many bots are included, and anything else that you think should be added.

Rinnegatamante

OP
Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
@Rinnegatamante That's awesome about the console.

If I make a compatibility list for custom q3 map compatibility, would you be willing to add it to the original post so people will see how well it runs?

I'll include the Vitaq3 version, FPS, glitches or texture flaws, how many bots are included, and anything else that you think should be added.

If you like so, i can add a link to the post with your list and you can keep it updated, as you wish.
Btw, there are so many things that can change FPS that dunno if you can create a proper list (q3config settings are one of them for example: you can change resolution and graphical settings and that can drastically improve/drop framerate).

Reactions: jastolze

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
UPDATE - vitaQuakeIII v.1.1

(vitaGL - updated)

Changelog (v.1.1):
- Updated to latest vitaGL usage.
- Added multithread support (controllable from r_smp cvar) for better performances.
- Added gyroscope aiming (controllable from cl_gyroscope, cl_gyro_h_sensitivity and cl_gyro_v_sensitivity cvars).
- Made so that right analog sensitivity can be adjusted via cl_analog_slowdown cvar.
- Made sv_pure 0 by default making offline games run with better performances.

Million thanks Rinnegatamante.

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Test -> Quake III Arena BETA Test Build - Nov 14 1999 Prototype
Info : Compiled two weeks before the final build. Also known as DEMOTEST.

PC Release/Source : Q3Test 1.09 BETA
Vita Version : vitaQuakeIII v.1.1
Vita Install : copy pak0.pk3 into the baseq3 folder (the final and beta copy can not install in the same time, make a choice)
Note : The Final version will inflict textures over Mod Menu, do not use it ! Start 1.09 only as single base folder and all is fine.
Result : WORKING, mostly perfect, also the title logo is correct in green color, music also working. YEAH

Compatible List of BETA Test Builds only for VITA ioquake3 Port vitaQuakeIII v.1.1 :

NOTE :
When testing any beta copy, do not use the Final version as main base folder ! Instead use 1.09 as main base folder and load all other beta copys over Mod menu. 1.09 is the boot fix for older builds. The 1.09 has mostly no differences, use a lower build version and there are many Map differences with extra rooms or doors.

IHV Prototype February 12 1999 = WORKING
Need beta copy 1.09 as main folder and load over Mod menu. Try it more often, will often crash or will not load, but it works.

Q3Test 1.00 April 23, 1999 = WORKING
Need beta copy 1.09 as main folder and load over Mod menu.

Q3Test 1.03 April 28 1999 = ?

Q3Test 1.05 May 10 1999 = WORKING

Q3Test 1.06 July 15 1999 = WORKING

Q3Test 1.07 July 20 1999 = WORKING

Q3Test 1.08 August 2 1999 = WORKING

Q3Test 1.09 November 14 1999 = WORKING
Works perfect as single base folder. WARNING Do not load 1.09 over the Final build version with Mod menu from seperate folder, the final version will inflict the textures to the Beta version.
! Use 1.09 as main base folder and load all other beta test copys over the Mod menu

I love it rinne !

Last edited by peter8,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to...