Hacking RELEASE: v4.2 Safe Firmware Updater

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
G0dLiKe said:
Nice to see its finished. Gonna try it today. Only IOS 70 needs DOP IOSed?
Well, it depends what you want.

The idea behind this, is that the cIOSes are untouched so you can use most HB apps, such as Dop-IOS, after the update (given you have cIOS installed before the update) to do as you wish.

Trucha signig will fix the SD menu.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
QUOTE said:
It also will NOT trucha sign any of the IOSes it downloads and installs. If you want to pirate, you'll have to go ahead and use DOP-IOS or similar to trucha patch your IOS70 after the upgrade is complete
what happen if a patched IOS70 is already installed (before updating the system menu) ? Did it get overriden by your update or does the fact version number are the sames ensure it won't be re-updated ?
Since it's probably overwritten, it could be a good idea to first check if IOS70 is already installed before downloading it again ? This can be done in a few lines of code... I think it's always safer to first DOP IOS70 if you want it, before updating the system menu...

FenrirWolf said:
Hmm, sounds good. Does Waninkoko's upgrader trucha-sign the IOS's it installs or something?

I think Waninkoko 4.2 updater only installs & patches the newest IOS61 (used by Shop Channel v17) and IOS70 (used by System Menu 4.2), then install those two channels. Therefore, any previously installed IOS (patched or not) will remain untouched.

Anyway, this installer is still way better than Waninkokos because:
1/ you know exactly what it does
2/ its exactly like the official Nintendo update minus the anti-piracy (cIOS) and risky (boot2) things (maybe you should also include the new MIOS to be more a "purist")

This IS the way guide/stuff should be done, so that anyone has perfect control and understanding about what he is doing...

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
BBking83 said:
G0dLiKe said:
Nice to see its finished. Gonna try it today. Only IOS 70 needs DOP IOSed?
Well, it depends what you want.

The idea behind this, is that the cIOSes are untouched so you can use most HB apps, such as Dop-IOS, after the update (given you have cIOS installed before the update) to do as you wish.

Trucha signig will fix the SD menu.

As I´ve read here this will be used for dragging VC to SD and play from there... are VC games affected which resides on the Nand? I am playing them from Nand actually.

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
G0dLiKe said:
As I´ve read here this will be used for dragging VC to SD and play from there... are VC games affected which resides on the Nand? I am playing them from Nand actually.
If by this you mean:
1. Install WAD via Wadmanager
2. Move channel to SD via Wii data management
3. Play VC/WiiWare from SD

Then yes. You won't get that "Failed to Launch" message. The only way VC/WiiWare will be affected is if you put it through ww_packer before you install it.
smile.gif

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks to the nand emulation there really is no need for a patched ios 70 as long as you got a good sized fat32 partition on a usb drive
unless you can't get a certain wiiware game to work with it and really want to use it from the sd card.

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
BBking83 said:
G0dLiKe said:
If by this you mean:
1. Install WAD via Wadmanager
2. Move channel to SD via Wii data management
3. Play VC/WiiWare from SD

Then yes. You won't get that "Failed to Launch" message. The only way VC/WiiWare will be affected is if you put it through ww_packer before you install it.
smile.gif

Exact. Thanks BBking.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Jacobeian said:
what happen if a patched IOS70 is already installed (before updating the system menu) ? Did it get overriden by your update or does the fact version number are the sames ensure it won't be re-updated ?
Since it's probably overwritten, it could be a good idea to first check if IOS70 is already installed before downloading it again ? This can be done in a few lines of code... I think it's always safer to first DOP IOS70 if you want it, before updating the system menu...
It will get overwritten, and to be safer, it always updates everything (in case you're an idiot and previously installed a stubbed IOS in one of the positions or something).

The idea here is to only apply Nintendo updates without any patches whatsoever. If you want to use patches, you are able to add them yourself afterwards. The app is designed for everybody to use, and those of us that hate piracy do not want any trucha patches in our system except those in the custom IOSes.

Golfje

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
In the past i have downgraded the system menu 3.3E to 3.2E. Is it save to use this to upgrade to 4.2... Will this upgrade affect Bootmii installed as boot2 ???

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Which IOSes does this update? Does it just get the latest (non-stubbed) 60 as well as 61 and 70 or does it mess with others like 35, 38, and 38?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
nl255 said:
Which IOSes does this update? Does it just get the latest (non-stubbed) 60 as well as 61 and 70 or does it mess with others like 35, 38, and 38?

Check zektor's guide. It follows it exactly apart from installing an unpatched IOS70. It does not install anything in the IOS60 position.

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
Golfje said:
In the past i have downgraded the system menu 3.3E to 3.2E. Is it save to use this to upgrade to 4.2... Will this upgrade affect Bootmii installed as boot2 ???
It shouldn't affect Bootmii but if you updated the HBC along with Bootmii, that should use cboot2.

It is safe (according to zektor) to update from any System Menu.

It is also highly recommended not to downgrade.

QUOTE(mooncraterx @ Oct 7 2009, 06:59 PM) So did this and tried dop-ios to patch ios70. it freezes after download 15/15 doesn't patch it. Using dop-ios v8.

Help?
Sounds like you didn't have cIOS installed. Try installing it again.

Gangsterz14

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
My Wii is on 3.4e.
I want update to 4.2 with this tool.
Will my preloader and bootmii still work or do I have to update it to? (Preloader and bootmii where installed about 3 months ago)

laurozza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Gangsterz14 said:
My Wii is on 3.4e.
I want update to 4.2 with this tool.
Will my preloader and bootmii still work or do I have to update it to? (Preloader and bootmii where installed about 3 months ago)
You have only to reinstall preloader.

zektor and dr. clipper thanks for this.

ante80

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Optimusprime said:
How can I only Update the Wii Shop Channel from FW 4.1E (with Preloader V0.29, HBC 1.0.5, BootMii on NAND, USB LOader GX)?

This has been answered before.
But to keep it simple, just install the latest IOS61 [v5405] and shopping channel [v17] wad's, and you should be ok.

Optimusprime

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ante80 said:
Optimusprime said:
How can I only Update the Wii Shop Channel from FW 4.1E (with Preloader V0.29, HBC 1.0.5, BootMii on NAND, USB LOader GX)?

This has been answered before.
But to keep it short, just install the latest IOS61 [v5405] and shopping channel [v17] wad's, and you should be ok.

I say it short: THX

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night