OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ecw said:
zektor said:
toss01 said:
nice work... quick question for the slow... why would I need to trucha IOS 70? (assuming I have all the CIOS I want already installed)

what ability would that give?

It allows to you move VC/Wiiware to the sd and launch from there. If that doesn't concern you, you really don't have to worry about it.

Just like we had to install a "Patched IOS60" 4.0?

Precisely
smile.gif

bnm81002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been on 3.2U because I've been reluctant to upgrade beyond that, I like having no problems like I've been reading for all of the upgrades beyond 3.2, what are the advantages to upgrade to 4.2? also, can I downgrade back to 3.2 from 4.2, is there a guide to do that? also, will the USB Loaders be able to use the Hombrew Channel Forward ISO(1.0.5)? thanks

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BBking83 said:
This is a good idea.

Firmware updates should be just like the N updates that leaves alone the cIOSes.

If you want other things after the update, change it yourself.
smile.gif
You can do most things with a cIOS installed.

This is eaxctly my thought. I absolutely despise when applications (especially firmware updaters) do "things" behind the scenes. I don't need my IOSes patched/hacked/whatnot. If I need that I can damn well do it myself. Just give me the normal update, minus the garbage that tries to STOP me from doing what I want to do. And, let me see what is going on when I update! This is the heart of this updater.

The source is also there as I said earlier. So, when a new firmware emerges, it'll be as simple as discovering which IOSes we can install SAFELY and merely updating the source to reflect the new IOSes that need to be downloaded. We may never need another firmware updater again
smile.gif

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bnm81002 said:
I've been on 3.2U because I've been reluctant to upgrade beyond that, I like having no problems like I've been reading for all of the upgrades beyond 3.2, what are the advantages to upgrade to 4.2? also, can I downgrade back to 3.2 from 4.2, is there a guide to do that? also, will the USB Loaders be able to use the Hombrew Channel Forward ISO(1.0.5)? thanks

I wouldn't advise downgrading ever. Advantages over 3.2? Lesse:

1. New SD menu (transfer wiiware and vc to SD and play from there

2. You'll be up to date. Who knows if a game will come along soon that requires 4.0+ (I know, hasn't happened yet)

The update is extremely safe and will not touch your previous loader capability and so on. Heck, it'll fix some issues people currently have with all of those fakesigned IOSes as well!

But, you do not have to upgrade at the moment..you can stay where you are of course. Me...I like being up to date safely
smile.gif

As for the HBC forwarder ISO...I don't know...never tried it
smile.gif

pcmantinker

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.gamerfootprint.com
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to let you know that I successfully downgraded to 3.2 from 4.2, but then I tried to upgrade to 4.1 and it bricked my Wii. I used Waninkoko's firmware updater before to get to 4.2 though so I don't know if that makes a difference. I wouldn't advise to downgrade unless you absolutely have to.

I'm going to give this updater a try and let you guys know how it goes. I don't ever plan on downgrading again, but I wanted to get back to 4.1. Seeing as 4.2 is nearly as hackable as 4.1 at the moment, I don't see a problem with staying on 4.2 for the time being.

The interesting thing will be to see if Nintendo comes up with 4.3 or 5.0 in a month or two. Hopefully, they'll fix the bricking problem with the boot2 update code. I don't see myself using an official firmware updater from Nintendo ever again if it continues to update boot2 because I want to keep bootmii. Maybe if Team Twiizers comes up with a hack for the new boot2 version 4, I'll consider it. Anyway, that was my long rant about the 4.2 update.

Nugg2396

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
zektor said:
bnm81002 said:

I wouldn't advise downgrading ever. Advantages over 3.2? Lesse:

1. New SD menu (transfer wiiware and vc to SD and play from there

2. You'll be up to date. Who knows if a game will come along soon that requires 4.0+ (I know, hasn't happened yet)

The update is extremely safe and will not touch your previous loader capability and so on. Heck, it'll fix some issues people currently have with all of those fakesigned IOSes as well!

But, you do not have to upgrade at the moment..you can stay where you are of course. Me...I like being up to date safely
smile.gif

As for the HBC forwarder ISO...I don't know...never tried it
smile.gif
Wait... I'm on 3.2, does that mean if I update to 4.2 nothing bad will happen? Because last time I updated to 4.1, Some of my backups couldnt play, even with backup loader..

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
pcmantinker said:
Just wanted to let you know that I successfully downgraded to 3.2 from 4.2, but then I tried to upgrade to 4.1 and it bricked my Wii. I used Waninkoko's firmware updater before to get to 4.2 though so I don't know if that makes a difference. I wouldn't advise to downgrade unless you absolutely have to.

there is no downgrade unless you absolutely have to anymore.
there is no reason to downgrade at all.

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
Just wondering if this update kills the region thingummybob for Wiikey users..? I know the official one does and the Waninkoko one does. Am quite happily on 4.1 so far but like to be up to date in terms of firmware updates.
smile.gif

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cool release but i will not be updating unless some reason comes along to, but awesome to know it can be done with little to no effects (i assume its more towards no effects, but preloader screws that up). I am already screwed that preloader won't load to HBC, without that access it makes it a bitch to fix something, if i get a bad wad or something like that. @ the previous poster why would you downgrade to 3.2? downgrading is very risky anymore due to stub ios's and crap like it, just stay on 4.1 if you got it or go to 4.2 safely. quick question if anyone can answer, will waninkoko's 4.1 updater still function as normal? i assume it will but i'm curious

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks nice and clean. I prefer using NUSD and wad manager to update myself, but this looks great nonetheless.

Although I do prefer trucha patching IOS's though. I have several forwarder channels that wouldn't work otherwise.

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bytor said:
Just wondering if this update kills the region thingummybob for Wiikey users..? I know the official one does and the Waninkoko one does. Am quite happily on 4.1 so far but like to be up to date in terms of firmware updates.
smile.gif

Well, it is completely based off of my guide, and I did get confirmation from a wiikey owner that there were no ill side effects. I cannot guarantee it tho, as I am not a wiikey owner.

pcmantinker

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.gamerfootprint.com
XP
Country
United States
xzxero said:
pcmantinker said:

there is no downgrade unless you absolutely have to anymore.
there is no reason to downgrade at all.
Ok that's good to know. I'm installing 4.2 using the safe firmware updater to overwrite Waninkoko's update. I will patch the IOS's that I want to have the trucha bug.

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me know how it works out. I know it'll work out fine, but I always like to hear success stories
smile.gif

blahdc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just updated my 3.4U to 4.2U, no problems at all. Has anyone gotten preloader .29 to work? I only have homebrew channel and usb loader gx installed right now, all the games still work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: