TSP184

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, everyone.

I've wanted this kind of ROM hack for a good while now, and since I discovered that making an Undub of a single Ace Attorney game isn't really difficult, why not make one for all of them ? Everything is in the title : I have restored the original Japanese voice clips of every Ace Attorney title for this console, which includes :
  • Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney
  • Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney - Justice For All
  • Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
  • Apollo Justice - Ace Attorney
  • Ace Attorney Investigations - Miles Edgeworth
  • Gyakuten Kenji 2, or Ace Attorney Investigations - Miles Edgeworth - Prosecutor's Path, as it is known from its English Translation ROM hack, which can be found here

In order to make this ROM hack available for everyone, every version of each of these games can be patched to benefit from the original voice cast of the series, including the Japanese releases of the first three games which are the only ones to have the English language available. For example, Ace Attorney Investigations - Miles Edgeworth, without counting the Japanese release, has two versions, a European and a North American version : each of these has its own patch.

Gyakuten Kenji 2 also has one, which is merged with the English Translation, since it had an english dub.

The patch files are in the BPS format, you can patch your ROM using ROM Patcher JS. To do so, drag your unmodified ROM and the appropriate patch file on the box with the same name for each respectively and apply the patch. You must patch your ROM with the appropriate patch file, or else it won't work.

I know I might be nitpicking, but my main goal was to make the most complete ROM hack possible, and I'd feel bad if something would be missing.

In any case, I hope you enjoy !

MEGA Download Link

Credit and thanks goes to :

pleoNeX for making Tinke, which was used to export and replace the unmodified .sdat with the modified one and save the modified ROM.

Gota7 for making Nitro Studio 1 and 2, which were used to modify the .sdat of each game.

Marc Robledo for making ROM Patcher JS, which was used to make the patch file for each game.

The entire team behind the Gyakuten Kenji 2 Translation Project for localizing said game.

Last edited by TSP184,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well done on the undub patch. Though unlike most times in which voice acting is terrible (e.g. in Mega Man 8), the English voices are well done too. So why replacing them with the Japanese ones?
Can't speak for OP's reasons, but personally I always prefer my media - be it movies, animé, tv, video games - to be playable in its original language (even if it's a language I don't fully understand)... it just feels more authentic, and poor voice acting is never noticeable if you don' t know the language ;)
I'm always appreciative of the efforts made by undubbers and fan translators that give those of us that prefer it the option to play games in their original language with the benefits of localized sub titles.

Reactions: Koroshi and TSP184

TSP184

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well done on the undub patch. Though unlike most times in which voice acting is terrible (e.g. in Mega Man 8), the English voices are well done too. So why replacing them with the Japanese ones?

Thanks for the feedback.
I too, like the English voices of these games, and taking duwen as an example, some people prefer the original cast and I thought it would be nice to make it available to everyone.

Last edited by TSP184,

TSP184

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you, @TSP184 ! I was looking for this undubs.

Also there is a patch for Spanish (USA) of "Ace Attorney Investigations Miles Edgeworth" from Tradusquare.

Do you think is possible to do the undub?
It’s definitely possible, but I need to ask the creators for permission. I’ll try to do so when I have the time. I should’ve checked for other translations, sorry.

Reactions: rocknard

Orph3o-89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@TSP184 Thank you so much for all this undub!

But I have a question: for Gyakuten Kenji 2 (Ace Attorney Investigations - Miles Edgeworth - Prosecutor's Path) do I have apply your patch on the original game (in jap) or do I have to apply it after I patch the english translation on the jap rom, please?

Reactions: TSP184

rocknard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
@TSP184 Thank you so much for all this undub!

But I have a question: for Gyakuten Kenji 2 (Ace Attorney Investigations - Miles Edgeworth - Prosecutor's Path) do I have apply your patch on the original game (in jap) or do I have to apply it after I patch the english translation on the jap rom, please?

In Jap game, if i remember (the app will tell you if it's ok, so don't worry).

Orph3o-89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
In Jap game, if i remember (the app will tell you if it's ok, so don't worry).
I had tried directly on the Jap rom but it didn't work.
But I finally found the solution: on the thread of the team that translated the game into English they advised to use DS-Scene Rom Tool on the Jap rom to remove the anti-piracy.

That's what I did before installing the undub patch, and now it finally works! :D

Thanks for pointing out that it was directly on the jap rom, I was beginning to think that the problem was due to NDS Forwarder Generator that I use to play NDS games on my 3DS.

Reactions: rocknard

rocknard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I had tried directly on the Jap rom but it didn't work.
But I finally found the solution: on the thread of the team that translated the game into English they advised to use DS-Scene Rom Tool on the Jap rom to remove the anti-piracy.

That's what I did before installing the undub patch, and now it finally works! :D

Thanks for pointing out that it was directly on the jap rom, I was beginning to think that the problem was due to NDS Forwarder Generator that I use to play NDS games on my 3DS.

Oh, well, i didn't pay attention to the "Anti Piracy" thing, only to the process of patching to eng.

Thanks anyway, because i patched it with the AP Fix, since i don't know if Twilight-bootstrap relies on CRC to aply the AP fix to the rom.

rocknard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I tried patching Gyakuten Kenji 2 and this is what it looks like.

Would appreciate any help.

Edit: Figured it out, there's anti-piracy for the game. So TwilightMenu doesn't have the AP patch for it.

First try patching the anti-piracy with "DS-Scene Rom Tool v1.0 build 1215" (or older version), then use "BEAT" with the .bps file (download from romhacking web) and ignore the "error" you get from patching.

P.S.: check PM

Last edited by rocknard,

Orph3o-89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Edit: Nevermind.

I had the same problem as the OP here but I fixed the problem by:
- Importing my save from my 3DS to my computer
- Played the game using my save on the emulator Desmume
- Continued the buggy dialog for a bit, saved and exported my new save to my 3DS.

Last edited by Orph3o-89,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s