OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
Current version: 1.2 (08-11-2016)

Hello everyone. Today I'm releasing a Windows tool that will make the Game Gear injection process much easier and customizable. I'm introducing Ultimate GG VC Injector for 3DS.

What does it do?:
It takes a Game Gear backup file and converts it to an installable CIA for your 3DS with CFW. It does all in a one single program.

Features:
  • VC GG injection into a CIA
  • Easy made custom 3D banner
  • Easy made custom text/footer banner
  • Easy made whole process!

Requeriments: Microsoft .NET framework 4.5

Tutorial:
You'll just follow the steps in program. But just in case:

Step 1:

Open the program. You'll see this screen:
CkRCusa.png

Press Open GG File button. It'll prompt you to pick a .gg file.
sXSlcCE.png

For this tutorial I'll pick the game Mortal Kombat II (Game Gear version).

When you pick a rom you'll be able to go to Step 2 (icon and name).

Step 2:
This is the Step 2 main screen:
aCcrMMk.png

All the fields are explained in the info boxes, but let me know if something doesn't understand.

Complete the fields making the most legit as possible (if you want to). For example:
dG4c0nS.png

I used a title screen screenshot in it's original size as icon (the program will automatically stretch it).

When you complete all the fields you'll able to go to Step 3 (3d banner).

Step 3:
This is the Step 3 main screen:
yK9stmT.png

Note: The program will load some default values (based on those in Step 2), but you can anyway replace these default values with ohter ones.
Example: if you want the icon and 3D banner to have different images, then first complete Step 2 with the icon image that you want and then complete Step 3 with the banner image that you want. Otherwise if you are too lazy or you want the same standard as legit VC CIA, leave it as is.

For this example, I'll let the same image as the icon, but I'll edit the bottom banner, importing a custom one I made with GIMP (using the import and use custom footer image option):

tvYBacb.png

You can also make your own text banner without leaving the application, as a quick and easy solution. You can change the font type, size, and brightness. Also there's a preview of that text banner (ignore the red borders, they won't be there in the console).

Doing my changes for this example:

7iEfDsq.png

When you complete or modify all the fields you'll able to go to Step 4 (VC parameters).

Step 4:
This is the Step 4 main screen:
pdb2rRH.png

You can't do much in this screen. There's no customization optiones like my other two injectors (GBC & GB), because the ingame menu is quite complete and have a lot of options for customizing.
So, here you can just change the Product Code and Title ID of the CIA. The product code is loaded directly from the GG rom, but you can change to any one you want.

I'll let those as is.

Once we have everything ready, press Finish button.

That's it! The application will ask you where do you want to save the CIA file and It took some seconds to create it.
When the CIA is ready, the application will let you know it.

4CL54bJ.png

Then you can install the CIA in sdcard using any CIA manager (actually I use the new FBI).
(The tutorial's screenshot are from v1.0)

Console screenshots:
4hhGdNN.png
yikx8kc.png
TODO, petitions, etc: For now I'll just read this thread and make changes acording to the best for all. The code will be released much later; I'm planing to do a series of VC injectors... If a new version comes, I'll post here and I'll edit the OP.

Download links:
v1.2: MEGA
v1.1: MEGA
v1.0: MEGA

Changelog:
v1.2:
* Fixed: Now the injections should be region-free (not tested).
* Fixed: Now the parental control won't be a trouble.

v1.1:

* Changed: Removed an extra rom check, so you should have no errors with any .gg rom
+ Added: Now you can specify a short game name when making the icon of the CIA.
* Fixed: Now the icon has the official Game Gear VC border!

v1.0: Initial release

Enjoy!

Last edited by Asdolo,

Graxer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is fantastic and is what I have been waiting for! I have encountered one game that seems to be incompatible with it.

The game is "Tails' Adventures" and when I open the .gg file it says "This isn't a GG rom or it's corrupted!". The rom definitely works in emulators and I have had it for many years. I went online to get a new rom just in case and tried that, but it had exactly the same problem. This is the only rom that I can't get working.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Asdolo on fire with the 3rd VC injector. Time to finally pop the rest of those sonic games on there, and Ristar too. Thanks again for making these, looking forward to your NES and SNES ones, I love the simplicity of these programs. They make the whole process several times faster and easier.

Seriously, without guys like you in this scene, some people wouldn't even bother trying this stuff. Keep up the incredible work. :yay3ds:

Reactions: TomTalker and cots

Asdolo

the Hedgehog
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
This is fantastic and is what I have been waiting for! I have encountered one game that seems to be incompatible with it.

The game is "Tails' Adventures" and when I open the .gg file it says "This isn't a GG rom or it's corrupted!". The rom definitely works in emulators and I have had it for many years. I went online to get a new rom just in case and tried that, but it had exactly the same problem. This is the only rom that I can't get working.

I'll check this, thanks for the report!

Last edited by Asdolo,

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've noticed an oversight with the GG injector. Game Gear VC game icons use a different icon border than the standard VC do, might wanna change that. Aside from that no issues so far.

Edit: here's a lossy jpg screenshot taken by the home menu to show what I mean for anyone else who's not getting what I mean.
On the left is an inject, on the right is two official GG VC.

kNifC.jpg

Last edited by CheatFreak47,
Reactions: Asdolo

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I haven't been able to reproduce this myself, actually. I just tried it and it worked fine.

--

Also @Asdolo this is just a general suggestion for all your injectors: On the game name page, it'd be good to let us customize the "Shortname field" too if the "game name" field goes passed a certain number of characters.

Here's a few examples of "shortnames" that differ from "long names" in official VC titles.

ShortName: Zelda: Ages
LongName: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

ShortName: Dr. Robotnik's MBM
LongName: Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

ShortName: Sonic: Triple Trouble
LongName: Sonic The Hedgehog: Triple Trouble

I'm not entirely sure how you're handling this right now, but it seems the rules for this are that shortnames must be a single line and have a length of 32 characters or less, while Long Names can be 2 lines and are allowed up to 64 characters total (including the linebreak), with no more than 32 characters on a single line.

I base this information on what I've seen after studying a large number of official titles via FBI's Title Manager.

Asdolo

the Hedgehog
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
I haven't been able to reproduce this myself, actually. I just tried it and it worked fine.

--

Also @Asdolo this is just a general suggestion for all your injectors: On the game name page, it'd be good to let us customize the "Shortname field" too if the "game name" field goes passed a certain number of characters.

Here's a few examples of "shortnames" that differ from "long names" in official VC titles.

ShortName: Zelda: Ages
LongName: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

ShortName: Dr. Robotnik's MBM
LongName: Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

ShortName: Sonic: Triple Trouble
LongName: Sonic The Hedgehog: Triple Trouble

I'm not entirely sure how you're handling this right now, but it seems the rules for this are that shortnames must be a single line and have a length of 32 characters or less, while Long Names can be 2 lines and are allowed up to 64 characters total (including the linebreak), with no more than 32 characters on a single line.

I base this information on what I've seen after studying a large number of official titles via FBI's Title Manager.

Actually, the field Game Name supports up to 64 characters and multiline.

In a "well-made" icon.bin, there's a title with 64 characters and other with 128 characters. What I made is only ask for the 64 characters one and then I use it for both 64 characters and 128 characters, for all languages. Yes, It's not the best, and if I change it to that way, you'd fill both 64 and 128 characters titles from all languages, but this is a quick and easy injection solution.

Reactions: CheatFreak47

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, the field Game Name supports up to 64 characters and multiline.

In a "well-made" icon.bin, there's a title with 64 characters and other with 128 characters. What I made is only ask for the 64 characters one and then I use it for both 64 characters and 128 characters, for all languages. Yes, It's not the best, and if I change it to that way, you'd fill both 64 and 128 characters titles from all languages, but this is a quick and easy injection solution.

I'm aware there's technically space for more characters but it seems that all official titles seem to follow those rules I mentioned, Simple GBA Injector suffers from an issue where, when they don't follow those rules, the injects appear quite strangely in the data management menu.

34uUD.png

My suggestion is to either open a new field called "short name" when a user goes beyond 32 characters or 1 line with their game name or even provide both fields by default, only limiting the short name to 32 characters, single line.

Additionally, if a user doesn't provide a shortname, you could just take the first 29 characters followed by "..." as that seems to be what nintendo themselves does when a title goes beyond 32 with no manual short name placed. (See: Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars or Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney for some examples of this)

Reactions: Asdolo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol