[RELEASE] Trails in the Sky FC Evolution English Patch

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by the database, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Burai-ha

Burai-ha Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2017
    I just completed the game. I used the 1.0 patch until the end of the first chapter, then I updated to 1.1.
    The patch is perfect. Nothing was amiss, literally NOTHING. Just one time, and only that one time, the text overflowed from the box (but it's the game's fault, anyway).

And then thanks to such a cliffhanger, I am know more eager for the SC patch than I was for the first. Congratulations to the team.

Last edited by Burai-ha, Aug 5, 2017
    the database and Snigs like this.

2. Stepperer

Stepperer Member

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Maybe translation team can share something about how SC is going (or not going)?

3. Snigs

Snigs Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2016
    United States
    Slow but steady progress. The database will have to post for a more official progress update, but last we were able to check in with each other all of the manual edits needed to get the script into the game were done. Now our we're focusing our efforts on getting system files properly converted which requires some byte level file manipulation. After that we need to do some image editing and then we'll be ready to start testing. Hopefully we can get stuff working sooner rather than later, but I'm not going to commit us to any time line.

4. the database
    OP

the database Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2016
    United States
    Here's our progress on SC Evo so far:

1. eboot.bin First Pass DONE
    2. graphics in:
      1. battle/*.itp - 1/1 DONE
      2. campmenu/*.itp - 0/22 done
      3. etc/*.itp - 0/2 done
      4. note/*.itp - 0/1 done
      5. visual/*.itp - 0/142 done
    3. monster analysis and text boxes during battle - DONE
    4. monster guide - DONE
    5. main scenario text - DONE
    6. option prompts and some NPC names during story (requires decompilation) - DONE
    7. hacked font - DONE
    8. files in text/*._dt:
      1. book text - DONE
      2. recipes - DONE
      3. items - DONE
      4. arts/crafts - DONE
      5. various text in notebooks - DONE
      6. character names - DONE
      7. quests - DONE
      8. shops - DONE
      9. towns - DONE
      10. world map - DONE

It seems like there's a lot left to do, but the good news is that a lot of the most difficult work is already done. The SC Evo Decompiler was the probably the most difficult part, and that's done. The main scenario text is massive (over 50000 lines) so mapping the Japanese and English lines was a pretty big effort, and this is done. A lot of the items/equips were rebalanced between SC and SC Evo (around 300 or so) -- many of these had to be fixed manually, and this is done.

Like Snigs mentioned, we can't make any promises on a release date, but if people are looking for a rough estimate, I think we're 2-3 months away from release (I'd love to have it done by the time Sen no Kiseki III releases in Japan). Ideally, since we've learned a lot while working on the FC Evo patch, we'll encounter less bugs during testing which would allow us to release sooner rather than later, but no way to know for sure.

Last edited by the database, Sep 12, 2017
  5. Snigs

Snigs Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2016
    United States
    Speaking of! Testing is going to be the biggest limiting factor to when this patch comes out, so if anybody here would be interested in helping out with testing SC Evo please send me an email at snkfcevo.eng<at>gmail<dot>com (with symbols). If you could include what (if any) programming experience you have, general availability for testing, and your discord user name (the main way me and the database will be communicating). It goes without saying, but if you weren't able to get the FC patch working and don't have a patched copy of SC we won't be able to help you troubleshoot and would rather you wait until the patch is out. Any and all help is super appreciated :). We don't have an ETA for when testing will start, but I will email you guys when we're ready.

-Snigs

Stepperer and wakabayashy like this.
  6. wakabayashy

wakabayashy GBAtemp Fan

Dec 25, 2014
    France
    France
    very good news, the SC is the last long at all of the others in series, when you finish it, the others will be easiest ~~

thanks a lot

7. Stepperer

Stepperer Member

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Very good news indeed, thank you very much for sharing

Hope there will be no bugs in the process

8. Belmondo

Belmondo GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2007
    New Zealand
    finally have enzo setup on my vita tv and demo vita! Can’t wait to play this just purchased FC right now so I can apply this patch. And after reading the status update for SC I will go and purchase that now aswell!

Thanks for your work.

edit: decided to pick up 3rd aswell at the same time :) so I wil be ready.

Last edited by Belmondo, Aug 23, 2017
  9. Snigs

Snigs Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2016
    United States
    Posted on reddit, but I figured I should reiterate here as well:

Testing should hopefully go into full swing by the end of the week. We've got most if not all non-image base text in the game now, I'm working on base stability testing done before rounding up and getting full testing going. Hopefully testing shouldn't take as long as it did for FC, but with as much dialog and content as SC has... I make no promises.

10. Maverick81PL

Maverick81PL Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2013
    Poland
    Bojanice, Walbrzych, Poland
    When I want to apply patch 1.1 to file data.psarc I have this error:
    xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT

Wow to fix that??

11. Sabil

Sabil Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2017
    Japan
    Question:

Answer:

12. Stepperer

Stepperer Member

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Now I'm sad I don't know anything about patching and testing :(

Oh well, best of luck with this process, I will wait eagerly for a release

13. Burai-ha

Burai-ha Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2017
    I see you updated the progress "tracker". Good job as always.

Last edited by Burai-ha, Sep 4, 2017
  14. Dan_Tsukasa

Dan_Tsukasa GBAtemp Regular

Oct 14, 2014
    Tokyo Japan
    Awesome progress guys,

I've dropped you an email too about beta testing, hopefully it won't get lost amongst the flood of applicants.

15. Burai-ha

Burai-ha Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2017
    Random thought: why don't you get a blog/website?

It would be great for gathering, organisation, future projects and whatnot.

16. Snigs

Snigs Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2016
    United States
    We have gbatemp, no? :P The scope of the project is such that the benefits of having a dedicated site to keep people updated and track things doesn't out way how much of a pain it can be to set up, maintain and host our own site. If we were doing a full translation or an edit of a past fan translation (like Zero or Nyuta) instead of just patching in the XSEED translation, it would make more sense to do so.

Last edited by Snigs, Sep 11, 2017
  17. Burai-ha

Burai-ha Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2017
    You worked and will work on three games, so I thought setting up a blog on a free host would be less fragmented, maybe even in sight of future projects.
    Mine was just a suggestion though, you surely know what's better for you and the team:)

18. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    hey guys, does anyone around here have a save file for this game who went through 20-40% of the game or so?

i remember playing this game over and over.. but never finishing it.
    i played it back on psp, and also on psp.

but never got too far , could anyone provide me with a save ?
    thanks.

19. Burai-ha

Burai-ha Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2017
    I don't think you will find many savefiles here, as we are all waiting for the patch to play the Vita version.
    Maybe you could find something by searching for the save in japanese?

20. the database
    OP

the database Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2016
    United States
    We have lots of saves that we created during testing. Can you look at https://lparchive.org/The-Legend-of-Heroes-Trails-in-the-Sky/ and figure out more specifically where you were? It would be good to figure out which chapter number, at least.