Homebrew Homebrew app [Release] ThirdTube - A homebrew YouTube client for the new 3DS.

windows_server_2003

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

SeedDOS

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I usually care (sometimes excessively) about the support of older devices/OSes, but this time I decided not to support Old 3DSes.
They have lower CPU frequency than new 3DSes and, most importantly, lack the hardware decoding capability, resulting in failure to stably achieve 30 FPS in playing 144p videos, which is the lowest resolution available on YouTube.
Video Threading might fix it maybe? Or that screen thing where you have a blank line after each line of color? (Pixel filtering? screenline filtering?) That is what I have to go through (set on) to play/emulate PS1 games on an O3DS stably.
Personally, this isnt that big of a problem to fix if you meddle with how the video is outputted on the screen AFTER video quality adjustments.

SeedDOS

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can make a sound-only YouTube for the old 3DS, but I don't know how many people want that...
This isn't that bad of an idea, and I would still love this, but it would still be kind of boring. Maybe the ASMR community would dissagree, though. XD

JoelSonamShah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
It seems that the first thing I have to do when I get back is to tweak it for old 3DSes.
The MP4 video player got a really good update which makes the audio run smooth and video smooth too. Even on the old 3ds with texture filter on. Implementation of thirdtube for old 3ds should be much better now :)

JoelSonamShah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Is it possible to make apps like this for more websites? Like soundcloud Or some free anime websites . Or maybe a url video player in which you can put a list of links to watch.

Digital_Cheese

Top G Unlike Tate
Trophies
Website
dc-blog.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to make apps like this for more websites? Like soundcloud Or some free anime websites . Or maybe a url video player in which you can put a list of links to watch.
You likely could do this with similar sites. I believe good ones are stuff like BitView and VidLii along with Odysee.
A solution you can use right now is to download content with youtube-dl, put it on your SD card, and then play it with the video player.
Fair point. You could use the video player via N3DS or something like a flashcart with Moonshell. However, it is still much better to have a custom client especially for O3DS users as it is easier to do.

Reactions: JoelSonamShah

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A custom client for O3DS won't happen, since these sites all use H.264 or newer codecs that the O3DS is too slow to decode. If you have O3DS, you'll need to either download audio only with youtube-dl, or you can download the video and transcode to XviD so the O3DS can play it at a decent FPS and resolution.

Reactions: Digital_Cheese

Digital_Cheese

Top G Unlike Tate
Trophies
Website
dc-blog.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
A custom client for O3DS won't happen, since these sites all use H.264 or newer codecs that the O3DS is too slow to decode. If you have O3DS, you'll need to either download audio only with youtube-dl, or you can download the video and transcode to XviD so the O3DS can play it at a decent FPS and resolution.
I wonder though. What is a possible format that would allow watching videos via homebrew from an online server like YouTube or Odysee. I am kinda interested in figuring out a way to host stuff like this and even allow uploading of videos directly from 3DS considering you said they use h.264 which is too hard to decode on O3DS.

Now the question remains, could we change something up to barely get videos working or audio + subtitles. Videos and audio aren’t likely so yeah. Audio only or Video + Subtitles without audio seems like a possibility though assuming the creator made official subtitles for the video. Idk yet, but this seems very interesting to continue looking into to say the least. Maybe even for OG DS or DSi

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YouTube and Twitch already offer audio-only formats for their content that the O3DS would be able to decode. I doubt you'll see anybody host a repository of XviD YouTube videos, since a) there are billions of videos that people might want to watch, and b) you'd get a cease and desist letter for trying.

YouTube does offer 144p, so it's technically possible that the O3DS could play it at close to full speed, but in order for the progressive download to work, you need perfect performance at all times AFAIK, so that's out, too. YouTube's 144p looks terrible, anyway.

If you want O3DS content, you can't get around the requirement that you'll have to transcode anything you want to watch specifically for the O3DS. Even if you have N3DS, you still have to transcode for optimal performance on most non-YouTube videos, since the N3DS's H.264 hardware decoder doesn't seem to support B frames, and software decoding is worse for battery life.

Reactions: Digital_Cheese

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu