Homebrew Homebrew app [Release] ThirdTube - A homebrew YouTube client for the new 3DS.

windows_server_2003

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Introduction
Finishing the International Olympiad in Informatics 2021, which was the last IOI for me as a competitor, I suddenly felt like coming back to where I started programming four years ago.
I hope it's not too late to bring an alternative to the now-dead official YouTube app for 3DS to the scene.
I would like to thank @Core_2_Extreme for putting immeasurable effort on https://github.com/Core-2-Extreme/Video_player_for_3DS/ and providing the code of it which is indispensable for developing this app.
Concept
Inspired by NewPipe(https://newpipe.net/), I implemented the parser of YouTube webpages to extract the important information (metadata, stream urls, comments, etc...).
The advantage of this web-scraping is the speed; compared to the New 3DS browser, the only way to watch YouTube on the 3DS now, this app is faster because it does not fully parse HTMLs or run javascripts. It does not even load css and some javascripts that are not related to the information we want to gain.
By combining this parser with the fast decoder by Core_2_Extreme, we can have a better YouTube client on the 3DS.
Apology
I usually care (sometimes excessively) about the support of older devices/OSes, but this time I decided not to support Old 3DSes.
They have lower CPU frequency than new 3DSes and, most importantly, lack the hardware decoding capability, resulting in failure to stably achieve 30 FPS in playing 144p videos, which is the lowest resolution available on YouTube.
When the video fails to maintain the supposed FPS and falls out of real time, the audio starts cutting out, which I felt annoying enough to deny the idea of "better than nothing".
Features
Currently only the very basic functions are implemented.
Screenshots
0.png
1.png

3.png
2.png

Downloads
The app is available in .cia and .3dsx. For both formats, it is required that you have Luma3DS installed (preferably the latest one).
Binary : https://github.com/windows-server-2003/ThirdTube/releases
Source code : https://github.com/windows-server-2003/ThirdTube

Credits
In the process of developing this app, I used and referred to various code written by other people.
Credits go to :
Conclusion
In this kind of threads, there are always people who ask "What's the point" or say "It's way better on mobile phones". To be honest, I'm skeptical if this app could be practically useful. Maybe it's needed for chlidren who have their phones controlled tightly by their parents but have freedom on 3DSes but...
Well, homebrews need not be based on practical needs. If you love to tweak ridiculously old gadgets just because they are ridiculously old, you are probably one of us who enjoy this project.
I hope you can feel the excitement of doing usual things on weird devices.

Last edited by windows_server_2003,

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Awesome! Gonna try this asap.

EDIT: Tried it and it works great! This is even better than the oficial app we had on its time, videos load fast and with zero issues so far, hopefully 3D videos are supported in the near future, is one of the main reasons to run this on the 3DS.

QR Code for FBI:

upload_2021-7-22_9-59-9.png

Last edited by DSoryu,

x149te

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Is possible add support youtube subs?
My tablet is broken and I am using new 3ds for youtube surfing. Slow but better than Vita (because ads).
Thanks for app
And also fast playing on rigth stick? What about 3d support?
-------
Console crashes when trying exit the app
Not all videos loading. Rickroll not loading

error] ffmpeg returned NOT success.
[video] avformat_open_input() failed -1094995529
Vid/Decode thread
0xfffffffa

Last edited by x149te,

livid_hen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In this kind of threads, there are always people who ask "What's the point" or say "It's way better on mobile phones". To be honest, I'm skeptical if this app could be practically useful. Maybe it's needed for chlidren who have their phones controlled tightly by their parents but have freedom on 3DSes but...
Well, homebrews need not be based on practical needs. If you love to tweak ridiculously old gadgets just because they are ridiculously old, you are probably one of us who enjoy this project.
I hope you can feel the excitement of doing usual things on weird devices.

My questions tend to get shut down and ignored because, "What's the point?". It is almost validating to know somebody else thinks this way :rofl:.

windows_server_2003

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Is possible add support youtube subs?
My tablet is broken and I am using new 3ds for youtube surfing. Slow but better than Vita (because ads).
Thanks for app
And also fast playing on rigth stick? What about 3d support?
-------
Console crashes when trying exit the app
Not all videos loading. Rickroll not loading

error] ffmpeg returned NOT success.
[video] avformat_open_input() failed -1094995529
Vid/Decode thread
0xfffffffa
Could you provide the link of the video you can't play?
Also, if it doesn't always occur but rather 5% of the times, it may be a known issue written in the README.

x149te

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Could you provide the link of the video you can't play?
Also, if it doesn't always occur but rather 5% of the times, it may be a known issue written in the README.
I understand that half time videos loading and half time not. So that time I was just unlucky.
But there another problem. Buffering. Buffering not enough fast and I have to pause video. So fast forward now imposible. And still can't exit without crash or force shut down, Cia and homebrew version.

windows_server_2003

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I understand that half time videos loading and half time not. So that time I was just unlucky.
But there another problem. Buffering. Buffering not enough fast and I have to pause video. So fast forward now imposible. And still can't exit without crash or force shut down, Cia and homebrew version.
Well, I cannot immediately reproduce those bugs.(I do observe playback failure and slow buffering sometimes but they are like 5% and 15% for me, respectively)
Do you mind opening issues for each of them on GitHub for further discussion?

Reactions: PacDan16

windows_server_2003

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Thank you guys for providing feedback. The feature requests are now filed on GitHub issues.
Unfortunately, I do not have time for next two weeks and it will take time to implement these features/fix the bugs reported, sorry.

Can you try the attached version and let me know if the playback failure improves or not. It's built from the latest commit(0dbe381).

Attachments

• ThirdTube.zip
    6 MB · Views: 327

diggadybob

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Awesome! Gonna try this asap.

EDIT: Tried it and it works great! This is even better than the oficial app we had on its time, videos load fast and with zero issues so far, hopefully 3D videos are supported in the near future, is one of the main reasons to run this on the 3DS.

QR Code for FBI:

View attachment 270779
I love this its incredible

Reactions: PacDan16

x149te

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Can you try the attached version and let me know if the playback failure improves or not. It's built from the latest commit(0dbe381).
It didn't changed for me... untill I reformat SD-card. No more errors, problems with exit the programm. Now works much-much better. 32 gb with 32k cluster size. But videos still dont loading fast enough and need do pause for buffering.

Attachments

• 2021-07-28_12-59-29.png
    2021-07-28_12-59-29.png
    17 KB · Views: 401

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Gets excited*

- "No O3DS" *Closes Tab*

Thats why I hate 'pro' devices and am sooooo glad Ninty brought the OLED.
(How many n3DS' sold anyways ?)
The “old 3DS” is old as shit and was weak for the time it came out

what where you expecting? This is like complaining that you can’t play ocarina of time 3D on your NDS

sith

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great new app!

Thats why I hate 'pro' devices and am sooooo glad Ninty brought the OLED.
(How many n3DS' sold anyways ?)

dont really understand this argument, if they dont do new hardware you are stuck with the slower cpu and big missing features like hardware codecs so you never get good working apps, if they do a whole new architecture then the old unit still gets nothing... at least with shared architecture there is a possibility it will work, up to the limitations of the old hardware..

livid_hen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dont really understand this argument, if they dont do new hardware you are stuck with the slower cpu and big missing features like hardware codecs so you never get good working apps, if they do a whole new architecture then the old unit still gets nothing... at least with shared architecture there is a possibility it will work, up to the limitations of the old hardware..
But the problem with that is that you have to pay for a (quite expensive) new device if you want to have those faster speeds, or in the case of the n3ds, to even be able to play a chunk of games...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night