[Release] The Great Ace Attorney - Episode 2 English Patch

frontonly.jpg

The latest patch for The Great Ace Attorney (Episode 1+2) is out! You can grab it at the Github link below.

ENG 2.1.0

Download: https://github.com/StarStabbedMoon/DGS-ENG/releases
Typos and errors can be reported here: https://github.com/StarStabbedMoon/DGS-ENG/issues

Notes:

• This includes many fixes for Episode 1
  • Manual incomplete (but notes for Episode 2 added)
  • Home menu banner untranslated (cannot be translated with a game update)
  • Uses the (mostly) same patcher from the demo
  • Since the question pops up a lot: there are five Episodes in total and a sequel of the same length we will also translate.
Requirements:
  • 3DS with CFW
  • Demo or full copy of Dual Destinies
  • Full physical or eShop copy of Dai Gyakuten Saiban
  • Patch

Our website
FAQ
Translation Notes
Credits
GBAtemp project thread

Last edited by Uwabami,

Gvitor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi, hopefully someone can help me out here with some questions. First time messing with these things, so I'm afraid of every step...

In the readme for the patch, it says

6) Double-click PATCH_DGS.bat (maybe it's only displayed as PATCH_DGS on your computer) to generate DGS_Episode2_Update.cia
7) Transfer DGS_Episode2_Update.cia to your SDCard and install it with FBI

but when I run the patcher, it stops near the end with the message:

Patching partition #0 (type 1)...done!
Patching partition #1 (type 2)...done!
Patching partition #2 (type 201)...Couldn't open file: .iris\ncchheader.bin!
done!
Error patching partitions...

and then it prompts me to press any key to continue, I do so, and it closes the cmd, but the .cia archive is still the same, not the DGS_Episode2_Update.cia it's supposed to be. Should I rename it? I haven't tried running this one through FBI since I'm thinking the patch might have not worked at all and I don't know what running that file through it will cause.

Everything but the game is in its latest version, and I have the cartridge.

Thanks in advance

Uwabami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, hopefully someone can help me out here with some questions. First time messing with these things, so I'm afraid of every step...

In the readme for the patch, it says

but when I run the patcher, it stops near the end with the message:

and then it prompts me to press any key to continue, I do so, and it closes the cmd, but the .cia archive is still the same, not the DGS_Episode2_Update.cia it's supposed to be. Should I rename it? I haven't tried running this one through FBI since I'm thinking the patch might have not worked at all and I don't know what running that file through it will cause.

Everything but the game is in its latest version, and I have the cartridge.

Thanks in advance
it seems the CIA you provided wasn't unpacked correctly (unfortunatly, the latest public version of IRIS doesn't check this very well...). This could be either because you ran out of space on your harddisk or the CIA you used was corrupt.

Gvitor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
it seems the CIA you provided wasn't unpacked correctly (unfortunatly, the latest public version of IRIS doesn't check this very well...). This could be either because you ran out of space on your harddisk or the CIA you used was corrupt.

So what do I do now?

I’m running a stock 4gb SD card on a recently formatted 3DS, so the only things in it are the cfw, the dsiware exploit game, and the dual destinies usa demo. I’ll check the available space once I get home, but not once during the process I saw a message about using up all of the available space...

Though during the cia unpacking, it did stop at about 70%. I thought it was weird, but no error message popped up and it said it was completed like everything went fine, so I just ran with it. I’ll try deleting the current cia and unpacking another later.

Uwabami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So what do I do now?

I’m running a stock 4gb SD card on a recently formatted 3DS, so the only things in it are the cfw, the dsiware exploit game, and the dual destinies usa demo. I’ll check the available space once I get home, but not once during the process I saw a message about using up all of the available space...

Though during the cia unpacking, it did stop at about 70%. I thought it was weird, but no error message popped up and it said it was completed like everything went fine, so I just ran with it. I’ll try deleting the current cia and unpacking another later.
Yeah, like I said, IRIS doesn't check the output of the other apps it uses very well...

I'm pretty sure you ran out of space on your SD card, you should transfer the files over to your computer's harddisk (Desktop or whatever works for you) for patching. You need a few GiB of free space for the patching, since IRIS isn't exactly optimized tbh. The next patch will use a better patcher. If there's still a folder named ".iris", you can safely delete it.

Gvitor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah, like I said, IRIS doesn't check the output of the other apps it uses very well...

I'm pretty sure you ran out of space on your SD card, you should transfer the files over to your computer's harddisk (Desktop or whatever works for you) for patching. You need a few GiB of free space for the patching, since IRIS isn't exactly optimized tbh. The next patch will use a better patcher. If there's still a folder named ".iris", you can safely delete it.

I’ll get a bigger SD card then, and will try again soon. Can I just transfer all the files from the current sd card to the new one?

That “.iris” folder exists while the cmd is open. As soon as it closes, it disappears and the contents of the folder are back to what they were before I ran the patcher.

Uwabami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I’ll get a bigger SD card then, and will try again soon. Can I just transfer all the files from the current sd card to the new one?

That “.iris” folder exists while the cmd is open. As soon as it closes, it disappears and the contents of the folder are back to what they were before I ran the patcher.
No, you don't need a bigger SD card. Just do the patching on your hard disk. Move the folder over to your Desktop, do the patching and then put the generated CIA on your SD card to install it with FBI. No need for a bigger SD card.

Gvitor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
No, you don't need a bigger SD card. Just do the patching on your hard disk. Move the folder over to your Desktop, do the patching and then put the generated CIA on your SD card to install it with FBI. No need for a bigger SD card.

That’s what I did on the first place, though, like it says on the read.me. All of the patching was done on my notebook’s desktop.

Uwabami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That’s what I did on the first place, though, like it says on the read.me. All of the patching was done on my notebook’s desktop.
Then I guess your notebook's harddisk is full? Can you try to free up some space or do the patching on a different harddisk? Any drive with a few GiB of free space will work.

If you don't have anything like this, you can wait a little for our next release, it will have an improved patcher witch less work involved for the end-user.

Gvitor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Then I guess your notebook's harddisk is full? Can you try to free up some space or do the patching on a different harddisk? Any drive with a few GiB of free space will work.

If you don't have anything like this, you can wait a little for our next release, it will have an improved patcher witch less work involved for the end-user.

My notebook’s HD has plenty of space on it still. I’ll try unpacking the cia again and patching it on another computer, will post results later. Thanks!

Uwabami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My notebook’s HD has plenty of space on it still. I’ll try unpacking the cia again and patching it on another computer, will post results later. Thanks!
Well, if you have enough space, it's still possible that the CIA is corrupt. How big is it? Did you dump it the way we said in the instructions?

Gvitor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, if you have enough space, it's still possible that the CIA is corrupt. How big is it? Did you dump it the way we said in the instructions?

I’ll get back to you later with the file size, since I’m not home. I did follow the instructions.

Gvitor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

It’s 673.637kb

I’m guessing it is indeed corrupted, since I deleted it and tried creating it again, only for the progress to stop at around 67% again (saying it completed), and ended up being 673.637kb on size once again.

Any solutions to this?

Uwabami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It’s 673.637kb

I’m guessing it is indeed corrupted, since I deleted it and tried creating it again, only for the progress to stop at around 67% again (saying it completed), and ended up being 673.637kb on size once again.

Any solutions to this?
Are you using the most recent version of GodMode9 to create the CIA? Is enough space on the SD card to make the CIA? You need around 700MiB for this.

The size checks out though, mine is 689,804,288 bytes, which is exactly 673,637KiB... Something weird is going on here...

What stopped at 67%? GodMode9?

Gvitor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Are you using the most recent version of GodMode9 to create the CIA? Is enough space on the SD card to make the CIA? You need around 700MiB for this.

The size checks out though, mine is 689,804,288 bytes, which is exactly 673,637KiB... Something weird is going on here...

What stopped at 67%? GodMode9?

GodMode 9 v1.7.1

There should be enough space. Like I said, it's a 4gb SD card with only the cfw, dsiware game, and dual destinies usa demo. Going on system settings it says I have around 18.000 blocks, and opening the SD card (with the cia already on it) on my computer displays around 2,8gb of free space on the card still.

The

2) Get a decrypted CIA from your Game Card:
[C:] GAMECART > 000400000014AD00_v00.3ds > NCSD image options... > Build CIA from file

step is what stopped at around 67%. The building CIA process should take around 15min, but around 10min (~67%) it just ends. No error displayed though.

Uwabami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
GodMode 9 v1.7.1

There should be enough space. Like I said, it's a 4gb SD card with only the cfw, dsiware game, and dual destinies usa demo. Going on system settings it says I have around 18.000 blocks, and opening the SD card (with the cia already on it) on my computer displays around 2,8gb of free space on the card still.

The

step is what stopped at around 67%. The building CIA process should take around 15min, but around 10min (~67%) it just ends. No error displayed though.
That's very weird. I wanted to suggest doing this:
[C:] GAMECART > 000400000014AD00_v00.3ds > NCSD image options... > Verify file

But this fails on my system too :unsure:

I'll ask the guys who made GodMode9 what's up here and then get back to you...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1