Official [Release] Space Game!! v1.5 (HBL + Sound)

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by vgmoose, Feb 9, 2016.

1. xande333

xande333 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2015
    Brazil
    Itajai, SC
    Fantastic !!! :)

2. memomo

memomo ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nov 30, 2013
    we want this for 5.4.0 please :)

3. eliboa

eliboa Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2016
    France
    Well done! I've learned some interesting things looking at your code, like the -O2 CFLAG to increase the compiler's optimization level or the speedup tricks for drawing functions. You should send a pull request to update libwiiu !!!

josamilu likes this.
  4. vgmoose
    OP

vgmoose GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    United States
    Thanks everybody for the positive responses! Makes the long nights of frustrating coding-related headbanging worth it! :D

Hmm, sorry about this. I've seen someone around here saying they had some code that would fix the crashes on E systems, but I can't seem to find it.

No, thank you!! Everything I did here was only possible by looking at your pong game.

Yep, that was my bad not even sure when I disabled that... It's enabled now!

Yeah, I didn't explain it very well, but in the video I'm moving with the left stick and then holding on screen with the stylus, which makes the ship rapid fire and rotate in the direction of the touch. This means when the ship is spiraling around, it's me doing circles around the ship with the stylus

Thanks! Yeah.. I thought about the message I was sending using that as the enemy, but I thought it would be worth it for the joke!

For the pixels, I moved the function-pointer-looking-up outside of the individual pixel draw to improve the time, and I also make use of an "invalid" variable to redraw (flipBuffers) the entire screen. I believe it's this use of flipBuffers that results no flickering: you draw on one buffer, render and switch to drawing on the other buffer.

The array thing is interesting and I hadn't thought of it. I could definitely see it giving a speed up.

Thank you! I'm glad to hear my investigations were worthwhile. I am looking into a pull request for the libwiiu repo, but I want to be somewhat cleaner than what I've done here, and also to go through and make sure it actually provides the advantages I claim it does without creating any major disadvantages (like size issues/crashes).

5. chrisf4lc0n

chrisf4lc0n Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2016
    London (Hayes)
    Dude you are my hero! The game is great, but too difficult for an old man like me, any chance adding energy level before the life goes away? You know easy mode :D

6. thekarter104

thekarter104 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    Thanks for making this wonderful game!
    It freezes for me on 5.5.0E.

I tried going to wiiubrew.com but it seems to be a different page or something or has moved??

7. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    memomo likes this.
  8. anthonyno

anthonyno Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    Unfortunately freezes also at my 5.5.1E... :cry:

9. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    works fine here on 5.5.1 EU

10. anthonyno

anthonyno Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    Maybe I missed something...
    Do I have to execute other procedures beyond site navigation of post #1 ?

11. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    if your on 5.5.0 or 5.5.1 that link should work fine , try mine @ www.wiiubru.com/55.html

all your doing is running the space.mp4 file .. no other hacks needed.

anthonyno likes this.
  12. BurningDesire

BurningDesire A follower of Nepism

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind a screen reading news
    // Play as Etika // if (mySpaceGlobals->passwordEntered == 37124) // { // mySpaceGlobals->playerChoice = 2; // decompress_sprite(740, 36, 36, compressed_boss, mySpaceGlobals->orig_ship, 39); // mySpaceGlobals->curPalette = boss_palette; // mySpaceGlobals->transIndex = 39; // mySpaceGlobals->state = 7; // }

I love you even more

WHY WAS THIS COMMITTED OUT!

13. WiiuGold

WiiuGold GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 5, 2015
    Added it to exploit.wiiubrew.net :) enjoy .. We will be adding alot of new things there, with a new exploit site coming soon

14. anthonyno

anthonyno Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    Your url is already between my preferred ones, because I can confirm it's absolutely working on my 5.5.1E :)
    Thank you.

pwsincd likes this.
  15. brienj

brienj Trying to avoid getting cancer

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Nice job! I was also thinking about doing something similar with all the services that were constantly being called, and thanks to you, I didn't have to test and know it will work just great. I am impressed with your images library, I was working on something similar, but gave up for the time being, because I need to finish the program I am working on. I've lost a lot of time on what I was doing, because of a stupid for-loop mistake, and since there isn't real debugging it took me a while to finally realize my mistake. I hope that all the time I've spent working on my program will pay off as it has for you. You did an outstanding job! I may use your image library for my next project, if I don't finish mine, but I'll make sure to fully credit you if I do, and if it's ok with you.

16. Fatih120

Fatih120 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 22, 2016
    Canada
    Cornwall, Ontario
    Another beautiful thing

What is used to make these homebrews? Is it just a raw programming language [with sprites]?

17. rw-r-r_0644

rw-r-r_0644 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Italy
    I was that guy, but this time fix is not working. I looked into the source and it's just like if the patch was already applied.
    So now I can't play this game because I'm on 5.5.1E. Tomorrow I will look further for other fix. Anyway I think the problem is again in loader.c/loader.h because it freezes before clearing the screen.

It's C plus specific compilers and libs

Last edited by rw-r-r_0644, Feb 10, 2016
  18. vgmoose
    OP

vgmoose GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    United States
    Thank you! I think I'm done making changes for now, but if you'd like there's a not-so-secret cheat code to have 99 lives (it won't keep track of score though)

Lol... I commented out a couple of secret goodies cause it went over the filesize limit. Here's an experimental version that attempts to bypass that limit, with all those passcodes enabled.

Thanks! Of course it's okay! If you have any questions about the library feel free to PM me

It's programmed in C, here's an example of one of the code files! In this case, instead of images I am storing long arrays of information that is used to create the pixels in the sprites.

Thank you!

That sucks! Sorry. Does wiiubru work for you now? http://www.wiiubru.com/55.html

Thanks, that is much appreciated. Is it any better on the the wiiubru link? http://www.wiiubru.com/55.html . The odd thing is my loader.c shouldn't be much different than the pong example's loader.c (although incidentally the call to clear screen is different, moved to the top of program.c).

Last edited by vgmoose, Feb 11, 2016
    I pwned U! and pwsincd like this.
  19. Fatih120

Fatih120 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 22, 2016
    Canada
    Cornwall, Ontario
    Ah that's cool! Forgot about being able to code the sprites out! Good job on this!

20. DarkJediRey

DarkJediRey GBAtemp Regular

Jan 18, 2016
    United States
    Entered password 41666...it's taking forever!;)

vgmoose likes this.