Homebrew [RELEASE] SOON!2 (Super cOOl iNstaller! 2) - A new super cool CIA installer

chaoticdarkness

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SOON!2 is meant to look simple and noob friendly, it's also the fastest CIA installer!
The tag at the end was a little uncalled for.

At any rate I do agree with the simplification of the UI by removing the images. It's odd that I would even have to consider putting 100+ mb of just images into my SD just for the sake of having a visual representation of what I'm installing (which can be easily remedied by seeing the filename anyway, or parsing the xml as GothicIII suggested).

Reactions: Ricken

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The tag at the end was a little uncalled for.

At any rate I do agree with the simplification of the UI by removing the images. It's odd that I would even have to consider putting 100+ mb of just images into my SD just for the sake of having a visual representation of what I'm installing (which can be easily remedied by seeing the filename anyway, or parsing the xml as GothicIII suggested).
You don´t need to put the images, if you don't do it the cias listed will appear with a ? instead of its boxart. Isn't it want you want?

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
at least the covers are usefull when unistaling a file, since it show you what is xD
I agree that having it on the SD is an disvantage (maybe gettin them online like the icons od wii homebrew browser?) but in general I don't see why do not like it XD

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at least the covers are usefull when unistaling a file, since it show you what is xD
I agree that having it on the SD is an disvantage (maybe gettin them online like the icons od wii homebrew browser?) but in general I don't see why do not like it XD

If there was an option to use online coverart over the local art, that would solve this as people could have whatever method they prefer.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Any change of SOON!2 Having a progress bar? that way if the battery is getting low and the light turns red, I know that it is at say 95% and I can wait it out or it is at 10% and I better find that charger.

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there was an option to use online coverart over the local art, that would solve this as people could have whatever method they prefer.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Any change of SOON!2 Having a progress bar? that way if the battery is getting low and the light turns red, I know that it is at say 95% and I can wait it out or it is at 10% and I better find that charger.
There'll be a progress bar in the next release.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
This look really nice, but it seem you have to add your own box art for every id?
The box art is included within the package in the "SD Card" folder. So no, it auto detects them (Official CIAs have known uniqueids. Look at http://3dsdb.com/ for a list of most uniqueids from official CIAs).

longxa762

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The box art is included within the package in the "SD Card" folder. So no, it auto detects them (Official CIAs have known uniqueids. Look at http://3dsdb.com/ for a list of most uniqueids from official CIAs).
I mean for the newer CIA, you have to add your own box art for them?

edit: Is it possible to get an install %? It is hard to keep track when the install is complete and when it is freeze :(

Last edited by longxa762,

jimmyleen

Trophies
XP
Country
So why is it that no one mentions you have to have soon2/hwc on the root of the sd card?

Edit: Never mind I know what happened, its fixed.

Last edited by jimmyleen,

Chelsea_Fantasy

Someone who hates slow internet connections
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
GothicIII said:
@Chelsea_Fantasy : I appreciate your work but I'm sorry but I don't like this tool..
Everyone haves their one opinion.
GothicIII said:
The design is one of the worst things I saw in the last months. And the logo and acronym just fit perfectly in...
Why the desing it's bad for you? What should I improve?
GothicIII said:
Was it programmed for children only?
SOON!2 it's childproff, noobproff and easy to use.
If you read down this page (below the area where you write your replys), you will see that there are more guests than members reading this page, so yeah, probably a lot of them are news to the scene world.
This has been created to be safe to use and riskless.
GothicIII said:
Also it's not a good idea to put thousands of jpeg in one folder. Make a container and read it from there. Updating this wirelessly would take hours to complete. Instead of pictures I would parse the xml from 3dsdb.com and would generate the game names from it. The database of them is nearly complete and you can just convert the xml with e.g. Perl to get rid of the xml meta information and thus shortening loading times.
They are png, but I got your idea. You can delete that files if you want, they are not required. You just need to keep the "NotFound.png" file.
A container will slow down the reading process, that's why I do not use it.
For updating, well, I test it, and it takes just a little bit of time to update the art database using the SOON!2 Art Downloader (actually a private app, will be public SOON!).
About the xml from 3dsdb.com
Well, it is kinda "incomplete". It only haves scene releases, it does not haves "non-scene" releases like USA IronFall, Nintendo Badge Arcade, EUR 3D Experience, Homebrews, a lot of demos (Adventure Bar Story, Nintendogs + cats, doa, resident evil revelations, kh......), Nintendo Anime Channel...

GothicIII said:
I recommend a better ui (or better no ui) to make things simpler and have a better overview. e.g. Listing like all other cia installer do is a perfect way to accomplish that. In my opinion not be able to open a different folder is a no go. If you want it child friendly real bad why not implementing an 'expert' mode?

Really, I don't see any reason to implement a GUI if you just use it to install/uninstall things. It's nothing where you look for hours on that screen. You push 'A' to install and go away.
The people asks for progress bar to see while installing, so yeah, people stare at the screen while installing the application, so a nice UI it's a good idea.
What will be a better UI for you?

longxa762 said:
I mean for the newer CIA, you have to add your own box art for them?

edit: Is it possible to get an install %? It is hard to keep track when the install is complete and when it is freeze
Take a look at the videos I previously uploaded in this thread:

In the first video you will see that there is a progress bar, so yeah, you will be able to track your installation using that alternative version with progress bar.
As you can see on the second one, you will be able to update the SOON!2 art database in your PC.
Just plug in your SD card in your PC and the SOON!2 Art Downloader will download the latest art for you directly from our webpage http://soon.esy.es/updates/art
Of course, it will only download the missing ones and the updated / modified ones.

Reactions: longxa762

ZeuS_br

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
well,the complete message is-

error-soon2/hws not found
then-
a to retry
b to go back
and then its some y- twl patch thingy. what do i do!?

I got the same error. The problem was the SOON2 folder was empty and everytime I am sure that I copy those files. I did try to copy those files thru ftBrony and started tha app again, screen froze black and the 3ds reset. After I looked into the SD, everything was gone again. Including the .CIA inside the folder to install it.

Maybe its my SD, but I did manage to run it at the first time but now same error keep happening.

Edit: I manage to run it! I made a backup of my sd, formatted and then installed again.

PS: A progress bar and some info when installing .CIAs fails, would be nice. Besides that, awesome job! It really runs faster than FBI, NASA or BBM.

Last edited by ZeuS_br,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."