Hacking [RELEASE] Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2

Graxer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i heave downloaded the apk and installed it. Nothing more.
To go into a bit more detail, you need to extract the APK to a file using an app like APK extractor:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ext.ui

Then find the file on your phone (usually in a folder called "ExtractedApks") and change the .apk at the end of its name to .zip. Then open it up.

In the zip file's "assets" folder you will find a file called Data.rsdk.xmf. Extract that file from the zip and remove the .xmf at the end so it is just called Data.rsdk. That's the file you need.

Do the same for both Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 to get their data files and copy them to the Sonic1 and Sonic2 folders on your vita respectively.

Last edited by Graxer,

Dinko1310

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
To go into a bit more detail, you need to extract the APK to a file using an app like APK extractor:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ext.ui

Then find the file on your phone (usually in a folder called "ExtractedApks") and change the .apk at the end of its name to .zip. Then open it up.

In the zip file's "assets" folder you will find a file called Data.rsdk.xmf. Extract that file from the zip and remove the .xmf at the end so it is just called Data.rsdk. That's the file you need.

Do the same for both Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 to get their data files and copy them to the Sonic1 and Sonic2 folders on your vita respectively.
thnx man, finally, i did it : )

Reactions: Graxer

FM_JN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Everytime I restart these games my save states are gone (but everything works properly with sonic CD though). Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by FM_JN,

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I've clocked my vita on 500, it works great.
Thanks for the tip, but no.

If i must overclock my vita to not 444 but whooping 500Mhz and drain a wast amount of battery
just to play simple 90s sonic game on my vita, than i would much rather play sonic1,2,3,K in RetroArch than this tbh.

Meanwhile, Sonic CD port for vita runs butter-smooth even if i UNDER-CLOCK both of my CPU and GPU with overclock plugin to 111Mhz,
while saving a lot of battery.
Only bad thing about that port is that picture is shifted upwards having black bar at the bottom and nothing at the top. its slight annoyance cosmetically.

So yes, Sonic 1 and 2 needs fix for horizontal scrolling issue, and yes, its a issue.
Till than, ill play Sonic in RetroArch.
By the way, Japanese game of sonic has scrolling sky..i did not noticed that in android version which is a shame. It feels prettier to me with scrolling.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

S
Everytime I restart these games my save states are gone (but everything works properly with sonic CD though). Am I doing something wrong?
ame is happening to me when i play Super mario port for vita... i just cant figure out why is that

Last edited by MetoMeto,

rof1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Funny, i've just discovered your port yesterday at night and started playing it early in the morning today, after finishing the original on the real hardware a couple of days ago.
I've had lots of crashes on Sonic 1 & 2, so i just gave up, came here to read the thread, discovered your new update. :grog:

Played a good deal of the Sonic CD port too, it never crashed for me, sadly that one is not exactly my favorite Sonic sequel.

The resolution and scaling options you introduced are simply marvelous. That should settle it for all Sonic players on a Vita or a PSTV.

Had some minutes playing with 1.1.0, it crashes less often, though it still does. Last time it triggered right after the invincibility power-up finished.

Not sure if you are aware, but there is also another port (this was the first one i used when i read the news on Reddit)
https://github.com/SonicMastr/Sonic-1-2-Vita/
https://github.com/SonicMastr/Sonic-CD-Vita/

Compared to your port. It seems to fix the minor graphic bugs you have on the SEGA logo, the lower portion of the screen on the title, and the solid blue color strip on the background that shows whenever you get too high on a stage.

A bug i detected on version 1.1.0, the Game Options (spin dash, etc.) seem to have disappeared in favor of the resolution settings.

Thanks for your port. :yayps3:
As I’m not a gamer myself, but eager to get the goods on my Vita for the kids to enjoy, has anyone tried these games as a part of Sega MegaDrive Collection PSP running on Adrenaline?

Would be thankful for a breakdown on pros and cons from the versions by Xeeynamo, SonicMastr and PSP respectively.

-r

Last edited by rof1,

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Following my previous Sonic CD port, I am releasing Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for PS Vita as well!

I heard your feedback about the Sonic CD port and the annoying black bar at the bottom. With this release I pumped up the internal resolution from 416x240 to 480x272, achieving one more time a pixel perfect output without leaving out any unused pixel. You will find a screenshot in this post to give you an idea of the game visual.

Once again, this is just a port. All the hard work for the source code has been made by the amazing developer and reverse engineer Rubberduckcooly. Without him, this release would not have been possible. All I did was to adjust the source code, make it running on PS Vita and ensure that the level of quality is the one that every used should expect from a game.

Have fun ✌

DOWNLOAD VPK

Got them days ago before even seeing this thread. Thanks.
As I’m not a gamer myself, but eager to get the goods on my Vita for the kids to enjoy, has anyone tried these games as a part of Sega MegaDrive Collection PSP running on Adrenaline?

Would be thankful for a breakdown on pros and cons from the versions by Xeeynamo, SonicMastr and PSP respectively.

-r

PSP version Sonic 1 is a quite good port, same for Sonic 2. However they are the Genesis games not improved versions like the Android ports.

Last edited by raxadian,
Reactions: Tarmfot

rof1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Got them days ago before even seeing this thread. Thanks.

PSP version Sonic 1 is a quite good port, same for Sonic 2. However they are the Genesis games not improved versions like the Android ports.
Thanxxx, good inph00! I suppose that the iOS Data.rsdk is the same as Android, and has the same enhancement?

-r

FM_JN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If anyone else is having the save game erase issues I have a small workaround for Sonic 1: the stage select screen pops up if "no save" mode is selected and then pressing: up, down, left, right, up, down, left, right in the start screen. Couldn't figure out the level select in sonic 2, so if anyone knows how to do it I'd be very thankful!

rof1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yes but to run it on the Vita use the files from the Android version or it won't work.
That is not right. I downloaded the iOS version with iTunes 12.6.4.3 which is the last one to have iOS app store. Unzipped .ipa with 7z and found the correct Data.rsdk (in Sonic 1, it is called DataSonic1.rsdk, needs to be renamed to Data.rsdk, in Sonic 2, it is just the Data.rsdk file).

Works like a charm!

-r

Reactions: Mizuguti

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If anyone else is having the save game erase issues I have a small workaround for Sonic 1: the stage select screen pops up if "no save" mode is selected and then pressing: up, down, left, right, up, down, left, right in the start screen. Couldn't figure out the level select in sonic 2, so if anyone knows how to do it I'd be very thankful!

Try reinstalling the Sonic 1 and 2 vpks using either https://github.com/Electric1447/EasyVPK or https://github.com/devnoname120/vhbb

FM_JN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
@raxadian I tried that but it didn't work... When I'm playing and I go back to the game main menu I can see a save state but as soon as I close the app and reopen everything is gone.

FM_JN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
@raxadian I just tried that and didn't work :( I think I'll give up on this one. Maybe the issue will be fixed in a future release. Thanks for the support anyway.

RagahRagah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow, thank you so much for your hard work!
It's a thing of beauty, Small error in your documentation, the Data.rsdk.xmf files need to be renamed to Data.rsdk for the game to boot, but after you do that it works excellent
I hope your tease of Sonic 3 AIR comes true, I really hope Eukaryot trusts you guys with the source code because I can picture in my head just how beautiful that game would look on Vita (and Switch)
As we all know Sonic 3 is the best one lol
2021 is a great time to be a Vita owner!

Since none of the games (1, 2 or CD) will boot for me I would take it this is the reason why. But how would one go about accomplishing this step?

rof1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Since none of the games (1, 2 or CD) will boot for me I would take it this is the reason why. But how would one go about accomplishing this step?
Have you put the respective Data.rsdk files on the memory card of your Vita? It is not sufficient to download the .vpk and install.

-r

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Ween made a song about waving dicks in the wind.
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    L angle cables are amazing when needed.
    @SylverReZ Yup. Been a longtime fan of Ween. Not a mega-fan by any means but I'm pretty familiar with most of their tunes.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like the wee
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I like electronics that use detachable cables, that way if the cable breaks you can just swap in a new one instead of replacing the whole unit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Ween-er :creep:
    they make brown music. lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Brown note
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    for keyboards, headphones or controllers ,it's a must have
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why mice won't get with detachable type c
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    most battery operated mice don't even work anymore if the internal battery dies
    the L hdmi adapters work great on my tv and receiver. so much less stress on the ports using them than regular cables. in that instance anyway.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A bigger battery could defeat the need for weighted magnets tbf
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like holding girth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games...