[Release] Shin Megami Tensei IV Full Undub 1.0

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Canzah, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Canzah
    OP

Canzah GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2012
    Poland
    This is an updated release of my old undub mentioned in previous thread here:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-shin-megami-tensei-iv-undub.373660/

A long time ago when 3DS hacking was in its infancy and rom rebuilding was barely made possible I released a couple of undubs of 3DS games.
    One fo those games was SMT4.

Unfortunately back then it was not possible to encode Moflex format videos, and Moflex is Nintendo's proprietary format used by a lot of games.
    As such my undub was incomplete and that's why I released it as version 0.9 in two variants. One with Japanese cutscenes (jap audio but also jap text) and one with English cutscenes (english audio and english text).
    Only the game itself was undubbed, but not those cutscenes.
    That limitation imposed by Moflex format made it impossible to undub Moflex video based cutscenes in games.
    Untill now.

Recently Nintendo opened their developer program to the public allowing anyone to sign up to become a WiiU and 3DS developer.
    One of the benefits of that is access to 3DS SDK which includes a Moflex Encoder, as such it is finally possible to undub cutscenes.

And so I'm proud to preset, finally, after all this time - the final version of my Shin Megami Tensei IV Undub, now with all the cutscenes properly undubbed with japanese audio and english subtitles.
    This release comes in CIA format, based on US release (but it's region free) and I don't plan to release a .3DS or EU versions, but you're free to do so using this one as base, just please give credit where it's due.

Unfortunately I can't post a download link here for obvious reasons, but you can find it on one of the two usual, most popular, websites for this kind of thing.
    Just search for the following:

[MEGA] Shin Megami Tensei IV Undub Full 1.0 (USA) (Region Free)

SMT4 Apocalypse is next on my list.

If anyone wants to learn how to convert moflex videos (both into avi as well as convert your custom avi back into moflex) feel free to ask me via PM here.

Last edited by Canzah, Sep 28, 2016
    oiie and HiD like this.
  2. HiD

HiD Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2016
    Canada
    Awesome :)
    Looking forward to Apocalypse!

Last edited by HiD, Sep 26, 2016
  3. HiD

HiD Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2016
    Canada
    I'm super interested to learn the process you used for moflex videos

4. Canzah
    OP

Canzah GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2012
    Poland
    Basic rundown of what I did was the following:
    Compile the Decoder/Converter for Moflex-to-Avi from here https://github.com/Gericom/MobiclipDecoder
    Get Moflex files JPN version and convert them to Avi
    Get Moflex files from ENG version and convert them to Avi
    Use Moflex Encoder from Nintendo's CTR SDK and specify English Avi as video Source 1 and then specify JPN Avi as video Source 2 pointing to the encoder with Source 1 in the encoder set to "Video" only and Source 2 set to "Audio" only.
    Make sure that the 3D Interleaved box is ticked on video source for your Avis and that they got converted properly (60FPS interleaved videos, so 30FPS left eye video and 30FPS right eye video) and that you select ADPCM compression for audio in the encoder. Video bitrate should be set to 2000 preferably which is as high as you can go since you're already re-encoding and thus losing a bit of quality and anything more than 2000 is just overkill.
    The result was video footage from English version with audio from the Japanese one.

I had run into a problem with SMT4 Apocalypse english cutscenes where they weren't converting properly by the Converter from GitHub and a friend of mine modified the code for me a bit to make a version of the converter that did only video stream conversion and separate one that did only audio conversion. He also made another one that forced videos to convert at double framerate, as english videos were being converted incorrectly at 30 FPS (so 15FPS per left and right eye respectively) and thus playing at half speed. I then used Virtualdub to splice the video-only and audio-only outputs into a single Avi (it's important to set video and audio settings in Virtualdub to "Direct Stream Copy" otherwise it will re-encode and break them).
    Generally a bit complicated as you can see, if you end up running into problems like me feel free to hit me with a PM and I will give you the modified variants of the converter but hopefuly that won't be necessary.
    I can also post my Moflex Encoder monograph if you need it.

But hey at least I can say I pioneered this stuff.

Last edited by Canzah, Sep 28, 2016
    Nightwinter, oiie and HiD like this.
  5. Nightwinter

Nightwinter Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2015
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    woah, excellent. Just found the link on that iso site. Will test it when it's done downloading. thanks for your hard work and keep it up!