1. xYuunax

OP xYuunax GBAtemp Regular

Hong Kong
    cuevavirus has brought us something new and cool for the PS TV today and has claimed one of the VITA bounties!!!

Perfect 4:3 or 16:9 integer scaling, no more blurry or stretched image for PSV/PSP/PS1 games!

https://github.com/cuevavirus/Sharpscale

New version 2020-04-24
    • Added options for PS1 aspect ratio modes
    • Added fitted scaling mode
    • Added config application
    Here for the Download and source code:
    https://github.com/cuevavirus/Sharpscale
    [​IMG]
    Sharpscale provides the following two features:

720p: outputs the native framebuffer size 960x544 with black borders
    1080i: integer scale the framebuffer to 1920x1088 and trim the bottom 8 lines

Integer scaling is therefore possible up to 1440p and 4k.

The scaling test program shows horizontal and vertical lines 1 pixel wide alternating between black and white. If any patterns are observed, then scaling has been improperly performed, such as in all output modes without this plugin.

If you don't know what Integer scaling is? please read my brief explanation here:

https://forum.devchroma.nl/index.php/topic,112.msg256.html#msg256

Usage:
    • Place the plugin in tai folder and edit config.txt under *KERNEL
    • Install the VPK
    • Set the screen resolution either 720p or 1080i.
    • Run the Configurator
    Settings I use:
    • PSV/PSP Games @ 1080i - Integer - Bilinear Off (Trimmed 8 lines for PSV, or 4 lines for PSP)
    • PS1 Games @ 720p - Integer - 4:3 or 16:9 - Bilinear Off (Full Image)
    Issues:
    https://github.com/cuevavirus/Sharpscale/issues

Frame Pacing fix for 2D games in Adrenaline by CruelTott:
    https://forum.devchroma.nl/index.php/topic,112.msg293.html#msg293

Vita Bounties:
    https://github.com/vita-nuova/bounties/issues/7#issuecomment-607385646

Credits
    Screenshots taken directly from PS TV using PSOneScrot
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by xYuunax, May 21, 2020
  2. Darksabre72

Darksabre72 Blue Falcon

United States
    wow FREKIN AMAZING thanks for this

3. Graham121518

Graham121518 Newbie
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    I share an sd2vita between my vita and pstv, will installing this mess about with the vita if I install it? Tia

4. tosti

tosti GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Congratulations on claiming that bounty and adding to the community as a nice bonus.

(Or was that the other way around? I always get my priorities mixed up.)

5. Dostojnykocur666

Newcomer

Poland
    Hello ive got the problem with the sharpscale, after installing plugin on ur0 it does i stall but theres no folder with data/sharpscale so i cannot config the txt simple bc it doesnt exist, tried searching on diff folders for example on ux0 but still none( running pstv with strg usb as ux0 and ur0 for plugins etc) everything works fine except this lel

6. Fgamer

Fgamer GBAtemp Regular

Prepare to have your mind blown with the complexity of the solution: create the directory and text file yourself

7. yeshuachrist

yeshuachrist GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    a game with a color palette, or distortion that may require this plugin, ............. would have to guess that,, -disgaea 3/4. it is reported the "complete + version of disgaea 4", resolved some display issues from the vita version...

the other notable recent update was the "decrypt_VITA_win64", play decrypted vita games, that was really great with the "rhythm" games, and with the, beat'em ups on vita.

the 1080i setting with the plugin, catches my attention...........someone willing to test this plugin with the adrenline emulator for psp for slowdown...........may just stick with the regular 1080i setting for now on the vita, since this may be updated.

8. xYuunax

Hong Kong
    Updated version see 1st post:

New version:
    • Fixed a bug where some PS1 games had black screen in 1080i
    • Centred the framebuffer when cropping occurs
    • Enabled "display area settings" in original mode

Last edited by xYuunax, May 21, 2020
  9. yeshuachrist

yeshuachrist GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    (too lazy to keep testing)

If you install the "sharpscale" plugin...... in 1080i mode (change your vita display mode settings like normal to 1080i)........ with no configuration file ....... and then try to launch adrenaline, so that you need to start adrenaline twice, you should briefly see the difference before you have to start adrenaline the second time.

(don't add the line adrenaline needs in the config.txt file to stop it from having to start twice, or use the "sd2vita plugin", "ur0:tai/yamt_enso360.skprx" (which always needs to start adrenaline two times)

the plugin does remove the color wash, the official reasons is because it removes the "blurr", by more accurate scaling (interger)

already gained a speed boost using the "decrypted vita games", removing the need for a serious number of plugins, which still allows play of "nonpdrm" games with no additional plugins.........................
    the only real gauge of performance i've used for 720p vs 1080i in vita games

has been "the lost child" which crashes in the original vita 720p mode in about 3 to 3 1/2 hours generally, and in 1080i mode is around 4 hours at best .......... going in and out loading levels and screens including enemy encounters ................ the modes from "sharpscale" don't seem to add any processing overhead (that is why to test without config file to see for the change denoted in the statement above)
    recommend this for anyone ................... (revisiting the development choice, I won't know how this buffering effects images from the ps3/ps4 when the vita/pstv is used as a relay device for playing a game ............... that may have to do with the apparent bad choice on sony's part, its not something a modder user would, look into) (since you have more games available, spoon feeding games from one console to the vita/pstv, really seems to, have lead to the lack of, and then this development)

Last edited by yeshuachrist, Apr 14, 2020
  10. kid sampson

kid sampson GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Will this also work on RetroArch? Another forum suggests enabling integer scale and turning off bilinear filtering, but it doesn’t mention what the aspect ratio in RA should be set to: 4:3, core provided, 1:1 Par, or something else?

11. dragonz

dragonz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean if it works for retroarch - but on my 4kTV using sharpscale has made the pixels even sharper looking even with bilinear filter off.

12. kid sampson

kid sampson GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The documentation says it affects PS1 and PSP titles. That made me wonder if it only applies to anything launched through Adrenaline or would also scale content in other applications. If working for RetroArch then it might eliminate the need for filters and improve the look of pixels on emulated games.

13. lasher666

lasher666 Member
    Newcomer

Does it affect vanilla vita in any way ?

14. Kong21176

Kong21176 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    problem...

after installing this, my psp games wont show a picture anymore. i tried to uninstall it but still no changes. can anyone help?

edit:

i tried uninstalling it but it seems like the plugin is still active in adrenaline.. can anyone help me figure out how to completely remove it?

Last edited by Kong21176, Oct 9, 2020
  15. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Thanks so much for this awesome plugin!
    Ultra-n00b Question: What‘s the game in the screenshots?

16. xYuunax

Hong Kong
    Chrono Cross, Castlevania SOTN and Suikoden II

Deleted User likes this.
  17. armaldodo

armaldodo Member
    Newcomer

Peru
    How do you install it to the vita if there is no vpk download

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Sharpscale, [Release], 960x544