Homebrew [Release] SDL-3DS 1.2.15 - Simple DirectMedia Layer for 3DS

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Released the cia format of Meritous and finished the port of Xrick (I'll release it tomorrow). The port of OpenTyrian needs some fix at the input handling and can't make the sound work, but it's playable.

It's amazing how fast a game can be ported with a SDL lib available, and porting all this games I can test the lib and fix a lot of small things.

PS: The games using the lib are listed i the OP.

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I assume that games which utilise this library still need a source code for porting, correct? Regardless, I noticed that FTL: Faster Than Light and DOSBox both utilise SDL (albeit admittedly I haven't checked if they're 1.2 or later.) Would it be feasible to see this game make an appearance on the 3DS, if not now then sometime in the future? And in regards to DOSBox, would this help improve performance on the currently existing Retroarch port of DOSBox?

Last edited by Pandaxclone2,

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can we not compile SDL-ttf/image/mixer yet? It's just a makefile.
It's enough. standard libs doesn't need any changes.

Download them from sdl 1.2 site, decompress the zip in a folder (one for every lib), put in the folder it's makefile, thar run make ans make install

I just updated the makefiles changing the installation folder to portlibs/3ds

Last edited by nop90,

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's enough. standard libs doesn't need any changes.

Download them from sdl 1.2 site, decompress the zip in a folder (one for every lib), put in the folder it's makefile, thar run make ans make install

I just updated the makefiles changing the installation folder to portlibs/3ds
I always get these errors:

TTL:
Code:
make: *** No rule to make target `SDL_ttf.o', needed by `all'.  Stop.

Image:
Code:
make: *** No rule to make target `IMG.o', needed by `all'.  Stop.

Mixer:
Code:
make: *** No rule to make target `dynamic_flac.o', needed by `all'.  Stop.

Deleted member 373057

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I always get these errors:

TTL:
Code:
make: *** No rule to make target `SDL_ttf.o', needed by `all'.  Stop.

Image:
Code:
make: *** No rule to make target `IMG.o', needed by `all'.  Stop.

Mixer:
Code:
make: *** No rule to make target `dynamic_flac.o', needed by `all'.  Stop.
Try adding recipes for them. That or installing some dependent libs (portlibs, as mentioned above).

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you don't need all of them, but installing everything is not a bad idea

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

for SDL_Mixer you need also libmikmod. I can pm you the makefile if you can't adapt the one with the portlibs to install other libs
I installed freetype for SDL_ttf, and still got the error (and please PM the makefile)

D

Deleted User

@nop90 you are the best person i have seen in the seen for a while. will definitely be looking forward to using this.

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I installed freetype for SDL_ttf, and still got the error (and please PM the makefile)

Ok, let's go step by step installing SDL_ttf first.

We need to install freetype, and on linux whe need an internetc connection active and we only have to type in a shell windows (from the folder wher the portlib makefile is located) :

Code:
make freetype
make install

obviously one line at a time, hitting return at the end of every line, and after every line you shoul see a lot of text output on the screen (sorry if this seems to simple, but in my mind SDl is targeted for 10yo newbies too).

The internet connection needs to download the freetype package (using wget).

On windows, there is the possibility to make the OS work like linux instralling a wget in a folder listet in the PATH system variable, and using msys (the one installed with devkitpro) to run the above commands. But if you van do this, probably you don't need this instructions.

So let's go for the tricky way.

download bu hand the package listed in the makefile (http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/freetype/freetype-2.6.2.tar.bz2), and put it in the same folder of the makefile

If you want a different package version, download it and change the wersion number i the makefile (FREETYPE_VERSION variable)

coment out (or delete) the two lines that start with the word Download. To comment aline in a makefile use '#'

Code:
# download: $(FREETYPE_SRC) $(JANSSON_SRC) $(LIBEXIF_SRC) $(LIBJPEGTURBO_SRC) $(LIBPNG_SRC) $(LIBXMP_LITE_SRC) $(SQLITE_SRC) $(TINYXML_SRC) $(ZLIB_SRC)
# DOWNLOAD = wget -O "$(1)" "$(2)" || curl -o "$(1)" "$(2)"

make a bat file (name it as you want, but make-freetype.bat is a good option) and write inside it the two commands abowe, adding a pause command at the end so you can check if everything went fine:

Code:
make freetype
make install
pause

now you can run your bat file to build freetype.

if everything went fine, you should have libfreetype.a in C:\devkitPro\portlibs\armv6k\lib and a freetype2 folder in C:\devkitPro\portlibs\armv6k\include.

The path may be different ifyou installed devkitpro elsewhere from the c disk root.

After this go in the SDL_ttf folder where you have to decompressthe SDL_ttf package and put my makefile, than you va to run make and then make install.

For a correct installation should be used a makefile like the one of the portlibs, and I'll do such a makefile one of this days.

If everything works, the libSDL_ttf.a file should be in the folder C:\devkitPro\portlibs\3ds\lib

for the other libs the instructions are the same, using proper dependancies.

I wrot this in few minutes not testing the steps, let me knoe if this work, or post printscreens of the errors. I'll try to help.

Last edited by nop90,

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if everything went fine, you should have libfreetype.a in C:\devkitPro\portlibs\armv6k\lib and a freetype2 folder in C:\devkitPro\portlibs\armv6k\include.

The folder/file was already there, I'm just using make on the makefile and still getting the error.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'm in my birthday suit! Lol