Hacking [RELEASE] PS4 RetroArch Port (Unofficial)

OsirisX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the wait guys. There were some bug fixes on the frontend side that needed to be ironed out before I made a new release.

r3 release changes:
- Re-based to RetroArch v1.8.4
- Added online core updater support.
- Added multi controller support. Up to 4 controllers can be used. (1 controller per user login)
- Added mouse and keyboard controls for cores that support it.

New cores include:
- Flycast (Sega Dreamcast)
- Beetle PSX (This is non hw version as the PS4 currently doesn't meet the GLES requirements for hw version)
- ScummVM
- Virtual Jaguar (Atari Jaguar)
- Stella 2014 (Atari 2600)
- vecx (Vectrex)
- SameBoy (Game Boy / Color)

Note there is a new way to to install the core files. Install and run the Cores Installer app to get the cores.
(The app can be deleted after installing the cores)
Alternatively you may download them using the Core Updater in RetroArch.

Core are now installed to /data/self/retroarch/cores. This is needed to get the core updater working.
If you ran my previous releases, you will need to update the cores directory configuration by going into:
Settings->Directory->Core and point it to /data/self/retroarch/cores

RetroArch_PS4_r3 (frontend pkg)
https://mega.nz/#!uRgyXIhb!8tuoN9ORLP7xbtT5LZothBapefCtIvol96PfGehlwyA

Cores_Installer_r3 (cores installer app)
https://mega.nz/#!TcwiAQza!iSJaq0uPTH4qj-4BUbUv3aBLpYlPYsvBAlEKxFaU1tA

Source changes can be found on the ps4 branch here.
https://github.com/osirizx/retroarch/tree/ps4_r3

My builds can be found here. (Any updates to my core and frontend files will be placed there)
https://bintray.com/osirizx/libretro/ps4/latest#files

Last edited by OsirisX,

ango

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The core installer (Cores_Installer_r3.pkg) is a bit confusing.
I thought the cores will be installed when I run Cores_Installer_r3.pkg on the PS4, but only another installer will be installed that you have to run on the PS4 again to install the cores. I understand the idea behind separating the program and the cores so that everyone can decide for themselves which core they need.

In my opinion I find it better to install the emulator and the cores together ...

PS:
A little feedback about the cores.
- Core Flycast and dreamcast/naomi roms are not playable, Its like a sliedshow (even if the PS4 Pro Turbo is enabled)
- ScummVm is running fine :) ... some video sequences are jerky

Last edited by ango,

OsirisX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The core installer (Cores_Installer_r3.pkg) is a bit confusing.
I thought the cores will be installed when I run Cores_Installer_r3.pkg on the PS4, but only another installer will be installed that you have to run on the PS4 again to install the cores.

Thank you for your feedback. The issue is that the system's package installer only allows installing files to /app0 but this area is read-only and my goal was to get the core updater working. Therefore it needs to point to a directory with user writable and executable permissions. Current HEN versions allow .self files to be written and executed anywhere under /data/self which is where the Cores Installer copies its files to.

I may have a full pkg version which contains both RetroArch and its cores however that version will not be able to use the cores updater due to it being under a read-only directory (/app0).

Core Flycast and dreamcast/naomi roms are not playable, Its like a sliedshow (even if the PS4 Pro Turbo is enabled)
Hmm, I've set up the pkg flags to allow for Neo mode but unfortunately I do not have a PS4 Pro to test the feature on.

joeyj41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im having a problem getting the cores to show up i installed the core installer but there are no cores i check data self and see a cores folder but no cores what am i doing wrong any help will be appreciated

problem solved

Last edited by joeyj41,

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
im having a problem getting the cores to show up i installed the core installer but there are no cores i check data self and see a cores folder but no cores what am i doing wrong any help will be appreciated
I set the Core directory manually, to do this goto Settings>Directory>Core then set that to /data/self/retroarch/cores.
Now quit Retroarch to save and reload Retroarch. ;) Update your core info files through the Core Updater too.

I've noticed the cores don't quite perform at fullspeed, there's a slight stutter in gameplay in the snes core.

Last edited by ploggy,

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
I set the Core directory manually, to do this goto Settings>Directory>Core then set that to /data/self/retroarch/cores.
Now quit Retroarch to save and reload Retroarch. ;) Update your core info files through the Core Updater too.

I've noticed the cores don't quite perform at fullspeed, there's a slight stutter in gameplay in the snes core.
thought i noticed a little stutter in over all performance

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
thought i noticed a little stutter in over all performance
yeah its definitely there in all cores. I dont know if its a bug or something that's not implemented yet. ?

@ploggy is that on pro or OG/slim? (The performance)
Slim :)

@OsirisX Could you add the Beetle Core with the recently added Dyanrec changes? (I think the PCSXrearmed Core has recently had the Dynarec added too)

Last edited by ploggy,
Reactions: KiiWii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: