Hacking [Release] Persona 4 Golden Undub (Proper)

• Thread starter nks
  • Start date
  • Views 31,759
  • Replies 33
  • Likes 25

Aurshur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for all of your hard work, after the bilingual release of P5, when I eventually do go back and replay P4G I'll actually be able to enjoy the voice acting.

PurposelyCryptic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't thank you enough for your efforts - I had pre-ordered P4G back when, in the vain hope they might release the Japanese audio as DLC, but in the end never played it more than 10 minutes due to the painful dub, and its just been sitting on my shelf gathering dust ever since.

I played the majority of the original US release on PS2 almost 10 years ago now (despite the pain - at least it came with a soundtrack CD), before discovering its undub, stopping, and starting a new undubbed game on PCSX2, only to never finish it due to replay fatigue. Then after P4G came out, I couldn't get myself to play the PS2 version knowing there was an enhanced version, but couldn't do P4G because of the dub. So, in the end, your undub will be my first full P4 playthrough.

I had pretty much given up hope of ever finishing it, since learning written Japanese is taking me much longer than spoken, and I figured the Vita would die off before anyone hacked it. Glad I was proven wrong.

Now to finally play P4G. Thanks again!

Z

zeropain

On a side note, anyone actually have interest in an xdelta patch? It would still be like 2 gigs big.

Im interested but i guess i would be the only one now :lol:

Thank you for this. i appreciate it.

Last edited by ,

stvn037

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks NKS for your great work!
Here's a simple how-to guide to use your original P4G saves, also to swap between versions, for anyone like me who enjoys both. For anyone who might need assistance.

To copy your saves from original (US VERSION) to UNDUB:
1. FIRST Use the "vita savemgr" vpk to back your saves up.
2. In ux0:/app/, rename "PCSE00120" as "PCSE00120_p4g_orig" or similar.
3. Move it to another path like "ux0:/backup/" or to your PC.
3. In Vita LiveArea, press-hold and "delete" the game.
4. Install the UNDUB vpk. Launch game once and close it. Restore the saves from vita savemgr.
5. Delete PCSE00120_p4g_orig if you only want UNDUB.

To swap back from UNDUB to original (US VER)
1. In ux0:app/ and rename "PCSE00120" as "PCSE00120_p4g_undub" or similar.
2. Move it to another path like "ux0:/backup/app" or PC.
2. "Delete" the game again in LiveArea.
3. Rename "PCSE00120_p4g_orig" as "PCSE00120" and move it back to ux0:/app/
4. In Vita-Shell app in "home" path, press ^ and refresh LiveArea..
5. Launch game and close. Then restore the saves from savemgr again.

At first I tried to backup the saves from ux0:user/00/savedata/PCSE00120/ manually, but it wasn't compatible between versions. Can anyone explain to me what savemgr does that makes it work?

Last edited by stvn037,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
At first I tried to backup the saves from ux0:user/00/savedata/PCSE00120/ manually, but it wasn't compatible between versions. Can anyone explain to me what savemgr does that makes it work?
Vita Savemgr decrypts (and re-encrypts) the save data, allowing it to be used by other accounts/users/devices. This is why doing it manually doesn't work, the saves are still encrypted and linked to a specific game owned by a specific user, so they can't be used for another game (in this case, the difference between the original and undub version).

stvn037

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vita Savemgr decrypts (and re-encrypts) the save data, allowing it to be used by other accounts/users/devices. This is why doing it manually doesn't work, the saves are still encrypted and linked to a specific game owned by a specific user, so they can't be used for another game (in this case, the difference between the original and undub version).

Thanks alot for the explanation. The reason I'm asking is because I'm wondering if it would be possible to install both UNDUB and US versions by renaming the TitleID of one. But I would need a way to transfer data between the two, and I'm not sure if vita savemgr could do that.

UPDATE: Renaming the TitleIDs didn't work. So instead I got the EU game for english audio, played it up to the first save point and backed it up with savemgr. Then I took "data0001.bin" from my savemgr undub backup, placed it into the EU backup, and restored it. It worked! It loaded to the right point but displayed the wrong location/playtime, but easily fixed by saving again. So it's possible to transfer saves between EU/US/Undub, but I tested and it can't be transferred to JP tho. But atleast I can change between VAs pretty quickly now.

Last edited by stvn037,

stvn037

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I enjoy playing games in JP, but my kanji is still lacking. I like to swap between eng/JP to compare my reading to the official translations. It's better when there's in-game options to switch text/audio language, but alot of good games like this don't have it. Thanks for mentioning repatch, I hadn't looked into it but that might do what I need if it can just enable/disable patches on the fly...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm