Homebrew [RELEASE] PayloadSpinner3DS - Swap B9S Payloads (Relatively) Quickly and Easily

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 19,625
  • Replies 27
  • Likes 13
D

Deleted User

OP
banner.png

Due to the nature of this Homebrew to swap B9S payloads, and, by extension, CFW, I thought I'd put a little disclaimer here at the top: don't even consider starting a CFW debate in this thread. Those never end well, and it just makes everyone angry in the end, so drop that thought from your head altogether.

*ahem* Ah, yes, where was I...

PayloadSpinner3DS is a little homebrew application that isn't a shitpost this time that essentially swaps boot.firm with one of any other FIRM files on your SD Card. Using this, you can switch between CFW, or do stuff like set GodMode9 as your default boot.firm, meaning the system will boot into that instead of regular ol' Luma on startup. It's more a customization feature than anything else, really, and just something to get me more familiar with C and stuff.

Download links and shit below.

Link: https://github.com/BEPISMAN2/PayloadSpinner3DS/releases
Source: https://github.com/BEPISMAN2/PayloadSpinner3DS

qr.png
screenshot3ds.PNG

HAVE FUN

Last edited by ,

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You could've called it payload switcher/changer/renamer/manager...

...but no, you had to call it spinner.
Nice meme job tho, it could be useful in some situations - like if you're using a CFW with no chainloader.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are we forgetting that all you have to do is hold start to access Luma's chainloader and simply pick any payload you have?
Even if you were using A9NC, you wouldn't be constantly switching back and forth between it and luma as the default payload. You'd choose one or the other.

Also launching godmode9 from a cia is not that big of a deal when you can simply enter the rosalina menu, reboot, hold start and choose Godmode9. Which is something an avid 3DS user would know how to do. It's also not difficult at all to turn off the 3DS then back on while holding start to make things simpler for newcomers.
Which is why I said, are we forgetting Luma's chainloader.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather debate the name, it's making think of the fidget spinner and you developed FidgetSpinner3DS. See now I'm not sure that if this making me think of that toy is worse than the dream I had earlier that involved a violent death.

Reactions: Deleted User

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Are we forgetting that all you have to do is hold start to access Luma's chainloader and simply pick any payload you have?
Even if you were using A9NC, you wouldn't be constantly switching back and forth between it and luma as the default payload. You'd choose one or the other.

Also launching godmode9 from a cia is not that big of a deal when you can simply enter the rosalina menu, reboot, hold start and choose Godmode9. Which is something an avid 3DS user would know how to do. It's also not difficult at all to turn off the 3DS then back on while holding start to make things simpler for newcomers.
Well, as OP said, this is mostly an exercise for him to get more familiar with C than anything, and considering that it does more than just output something onscreen it's still more useful than hello world/fake brick homebrew apps in my book.
Besides, some CFWs don't even have a proper chainloader built into them. Sure, you could launch GodMode9 and choose a FIRM this way but hey, it's still a functional alternative.

Reactions: Quantumcat
D

Deleted User

OP
Reinand exist at firm?
No but you can use a9nc
That's odd. I could've sworn there was a ReiNAND fork that had B9S Support. I don't know, you might want to look it up.

Yeah, what with Luma's Chainloader, as well as GodMode9's Chainloader, the only reason to use this is for convenience, really. It was also a good chance to get some C practice in. However, it's useful if you suddenly just want to use another B9S-supported CFW as your default CFW for whatever reason (yes, they do exist), or want to switch back and forth between having Luma and GodMode9 as your default boot.firm.

If you feel the options you mentioned would be more convenient for you, you don't have to use this application, then. Do what works for you. I kinda wanted to open up more options for users, that's all.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
D

Deleted User

OP
Quick announcement: v1.2 has been released, which fixes a bug dealing with the app crashing upon not finding the proper directories, in addition to adding the feature for the app to create the directories needed to function. QR Code in the OP has been updated, but here it is again, just to be sure:
qr.png

Alex S

Creator Of WWHDM, And Metroid Fusion XER0X!
Trophies
Website
www.erm.wut
XP
Country
United States
see the biggest fuckup made with homebrew is we cant tell the app to load any named .firm at boot. its alway "it mustbe boot.firm", and that leads to mistakes when using stuff like the godmode9 shortcuts because lets say i wanted to use a boot animation, my luma file is already renamed bootluma.firm while the animator is boot.firm. replacing gm9 with that makes boot animations impossible. why can we not have configs to set payload name.... its such a simple solution

Last edited by Alex S,

EmuAGR

Trophies
XP
Country
see the biggest fuckup made with homebrew is we cant tell the app to load any named .firm at boot. its alway "it mustbe boot.firm", and that leads to mistakes when using stuff like the godmode9 shortcuts because lets say i wanted to use a boot animation, my luma file is already renamed bootluma.firm while the animator is boot.firm. replacing gm9 with that makes boot animations impossible. why can we not have configs to set payload name.... its such a simple solution

Because the B9S bootloader should be as easy as it can be to avoid bricks. That means nothing like graphic menus, nor config parsing. Just a haxsigned code jump to a fixed location in the SD.

Last edited by EmuAGR,
Reactions: Deleted User

Alex S

Creator Of WWHDM, And Metroid Fusion XER0X!
Trophies
Website
www.erm.wut
XP
Country
United States
Because the B9S bootloader should be as easy as it can be to avoid bricks. That means nothing like graphic menus, nor config parsing. Just a haxsigned code jump to a fixed location in the SD.

That just sounds like failure to code it without messing it up.

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That just sounds like failure to code it without messing it up.
The main reason why something like that hasn't been implemented in Boot9Strap is because having a small file size is key in some situations. Think about it: in its current state B9S' FIRM is only 30kb in size, which is pretty damn small, but it's still barely enough to fit on some NTRBoot capable carts (the DSTT, for example, has an internal flash of 64kb and only a fraction of that can be used by NTRBoot FIRMs, so if you do some math you'll find out that only 32kb are available to a payload!).

Still, remember that if you really wanted to change what FIRM gets booted at launch you can always use different boot9strap forks (the one I linked here is made by al3x_10m and boots a file called ntrboot.firm, for example) or compile one yourself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr