Hacking [RELEASE] Pasta CFW without Cubic Ninja - MSET (4.x old3ds)

powersaver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand the value of PastaCFW for old3DS owners who already have a 4.5 CFW. If PastaCFW doesn't work with 9.2 and MSET, other than more reliable boot into CFW, what are the advantages?

Thanks Craving and piratesephiroth for responding.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I don't understand the value of PastaCFW for old3DS owners who already have a 4.5 CFW. If PastaCFW doesn't work with 9.2 and MSET, other than more reliable boot into CFW, what are the advantages?

Thanks Craving and piratesephiroth for responding.
Every time you have a false start in palantine/pbt, you have to hold down the power button for 5-10 seconds. This can go on for about 10 tries sometimes.

This is enough to make the improvement from pbt to pasta seem like being cured of cancer.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Every time you have a false start in palantine/pbt, you have to hold down the power button for 5-10 seconds. This can go on for about 10 tries sometime.

This is enough to make the improvement from pbt to pasta seem like being cured of cancer.

It's 18 seconds, I've counted, 18 long seconds...

Reactions: Ronhero

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
overall this has been the most painful hack experience I've ever had, now when i look for my 3ds ip address is my local network ip (10.0.0.x) it shows this:
SbM8hFp.png

any thoughts on this?

The problem is you don't read the tutorials. What about the part regarding the dbs folder?

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
mset (system configurations) is just the entrypoint.
They still have to build a proper rop chain for each different firmware.

I have some problems with MSET, I miss some gadget and I dont have time to serach them from memory dunps for every FW. Tryed some gadgets from spider code but I think they are from spider code in memory.

This could be off topic but do you have any plans on working on a spider port after you're done with MSET? I feel like a Spider version is neglected amongst the Pasta community even though it's one of the better exploits considering it doesn't mess with the DS features and works on 2.0-9.2 without the need to downgrade or upgrade anything, which is much easier for the average users.

I'm considering to switch to spider and then back to MSET later. Probably is the best and fastest solution to avoid using CN on o3DS. Not to say that I already know how it works. I'll try a quick port this week.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Yeah spider port would definitely be preferred. Looks like MSET is more hassle then it's worth. I would recommend getting Spider working then MSET for n3DS users after that. o3DS MSET on 5.x to 9.x would be lowest priority with only emunand support behind that. ;)

Reactions: Margen67

DSpider

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Yeah spider port would definitely be preferred. Looks like MSET is more hassle then it's worth. I would recommend getting Spider working then MSET for n3DS users after that. o3DS MSET on 5.x to 9.x would be lowest priority with only emunand support behind that. ;)
You're only asking for the spider web exploit because you don't own (or you've sold) your CN copy and don't have a Sky3DS either.

Having to go online each time you turn off the 3DS is NOT the preferred option! Going to "Settings -> Profile -> Nintendo DS Profile" (i.e. the mset exploit) is MUCH more convenient. You'd only need CN/Sky3DS with CN on it once, to install the older Settings app, after which it's all run locally without going to stupid webpages and shit. Some people have set up their Android phones as an access point, with the 3DS connected to it, which is a fucking PITA, much more complicated shit.

Reactions: satan89 and memomo

coolfuze

Trophies
XP
Country
It's not so much about which is more convenient, this is a hobby for most developers so they are gonna focus on whichever is easier to complete(SPIDER). Once the easy stuff is done they're gonna move on to harder stuff(MSET). No one knew going in what a bitch MSET was gonna be.

Garro

Pendulum of souls!
Trophies
Website
garrothedog.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Chile
You're only asking for the spider web exploit because you don't own (or you've sold) your CN copy and don't have a Sky3DS either.

Having to go online each time you turn off the 3DS is NOT the preferred option! Going to "Settings -> Profile -> Nintendo DS Profile" (i.e. the mset exploit) is MUCH more convenient. You'd only need CN/Sky3DS with CN on it once, to install the older Settings app, after which it's all run locally without going to stupid webpages and shit. Some people have set up their Android phones as an access point, with the 3DS connected to it, which is a fucking PITA, much more complicated shit.
Personally, Spider is much more comfortable since it only involves a simple tap in the screen (to open the browser) vs. MSET which takes a few seconds longer with the loading of system settings and stuff. Aside from the whole requiring internet thing which is a valid point, though I don't know why is such a hassle since mostly everyone have internet access in their homes.

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
no need for GW v2.6
in GW v3.2.1 they aldy add sysnand boot option

Code:
while in the Gateway menu with the boot icons visible, simply hold B while booting into Gateway mode or Classic mode!
You will then be asked to confirm booting into SYSNAND mode by pressing X.
I was emphasizing GW Redcard verification.
There are no Launchers support accessing CIA-installable GW mode without Redcard.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

no wonder dev's grow tired of this BS......
DEV:-"hey guys im having trouble making the MSET exploit, so i will port to spider in the meantime as its much easier for me to do"
GBATEMP:-"WTF! we need to mess around with WEB PAGES!! OMGOMG FML this is SHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! why you expect ME to do stuffz"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Crowbar?