Homebrew [Release] OnionFS for NTR CFW - LayeredFS plugin fork that works with any game.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used the file paths in the mods I downloaded so I don't think it was the file paths... maybe I forgot to to run something before booting up smash or something along those lines
No that can't be it. The custom update is supposed to run at launch like a regular update.

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I used the file paths in the mods I downloaded so I don't think it was the file paths... maybe I forgot to to run something before booting up smash or something along those lines
afaik, smash mods won't work because the way they are made. Smash has most of its data stored in a giant file called "dt" in its romfs. OnionFS won't redirect the dt file access, but the romfs file access, so it searches for the dt file. SaltySD does redirect the dt file access, so it's the only thing you can use for now.

BTW, I've just added the python script to change the path, it will be easier to do it now :)

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice! I can probably try this with Dragon Ball Heroes UM2, since it didn't work with the original NTR CFW.

EDIT: It needs PC... so not soon

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Nice! I can probably try this with Dragon Ball Heroes UM2, since it didn't work with the original NTR CFW.

EDIT: It needs PC... so not soon
You only need a PC to change the redirection path, by default the path is SD:/OnionFS/<titleID>. If it didn't work with layeredfs, it won't work with this as it is just a fork of it.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it doesn't work with Sun/Moon? I tried it and it goes to the error occurred black screen with white text. Just a few hours ago I finally figured out how to get edited wild encounters onto the games with SaltySD.

KounkinX94

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I've only been able to test this with a few games, could someone test with some other games and give me feedback?

Hello, i tested the plugin with Dragon Ball Heroes Ultimate Mission 2 and works fine but the loads times of the game increased a lot

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You only need a PC to change the redirection path, by default the path is SD:/OnionFS/<titleID>. If it didn't work with layeredfs, it won't work with this as it is just a fork of it.

Yes it works with onionfs, so the layeredfs plugin of DBHUM2 must be damaged

Last edited by KounkinX94,

Chocobubba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Games I tested:

New Super Mario Bros. 2: Gold Edition - Working (NEXT Halloween Special) [NTR 3.2/USA]
Mario Kart 7 - Working - (CTGP-7) [NTR 3.2/USA] Note: Requires plugin redirection to the gamefs folder or moving the gamefs files to the root of the MK7 titleID folder, with the .lua files.
Fire Emblem Awakening - Working (Gay Awakening) [NTR 3.2/USA]
Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition - Working (Gay Fates) [NTR 3.2/USA]

Last edited by Chocobubba,

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D

Deleted User

I found a glitch which update patches. The main romfs gets redirected, but the "update" romfs doesn't. Do you know how could I fix this?
@cell9 @shinyquagsire23 @delebile
They actually mount the update romfs partition with a different name for every game i've seen.
So it's arbitrary; as ShinyQuagsire said smash uses rex:/ and Pokèmon rom2:/ if i'm not mistaken.
A thing that i noticed is that usually it starts with an 'r', just like the apps which mount the sd make them start with the 's' (sdmc:/, sdck:/).
It is not absolutely a general rule, but if it can help sometimes it's functional.

Reactions: PabloMK7
D

Deleted User

OnionFS is a fork of layeredfs plugin that will work with mostly any game.
It will detect the patch addresses directy from the game code, making it work without the need of a PC to build the plugin. To get the title ID of your game, just search it in google. :P

Compatibility:

All the games that work with layeredfs should be working with OnionFS.
Since this uses NTR CFW to be loaded, it won't work with extended memory games.
This includes:
  • Super Smash Bros. (Won't work on N3DS, O3DS)
  • Pokemon Sun/Moon (Won't work on O3DS)
SaltySD will work with those games, use it instead.

Features:
  • Redirects romfs access to SD:/OnionFS/<titleID> by default.
  • Should work with any game that already works with layeredfs.
  • Works even if there is an update patch installed.
  • Optional custom redirection path.
Changing SD redirection path:

To change the redirection path, use the included python script:
Code:
OnionFS_pathchange.py <plg file path> <redirection path>
For example: SD:/folder/subfolder/
Code:
OnionFS_pathchange.py OnionFS.plg folder/subfolder

Installing:
  1. Download the OnionFS.plg and copy it to SD:/plugin/<titleID>.
  2. Place the modified files of your game romfs into SD:/OnionFS/<titleID>.
  3. Install and boot NTR CFW (I recommend using BootNTR Selector).
  4. Enjoy. :)
Credits:

@cell9 for making NTR CFW and layeredfs plugin. :D
@Nanquitas for helping me out. :D

Do we need to rebuild a romfs for this or can we use the contents of our extractedromfs folder?

D

Deleted User

Extracted romfs. If the file doesn't exist in the SD, it will be loaded from the game, so you only need to put the modified files.
For confirmation. I can just FTP the contents for the extracted romfs folder or do I need the extractedromfs folder

i.e.
SD:/OnionFS/<titleID>/extractedromfs/contents

or
SD:/OnionFS/<titleID>/contents

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Extracted romfs. If the file doesn't exist in the SD, it will be loaded from the game, so you only need to put the modified files.
Answered my own question haha. This doesn't support The Binding of Isaac rebirth currently. No matter how small or large the mod the game will get stuck on a white screen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1