Homebrew [Release] OCS - Go straight from stock to luma (9.0.0 - 11.3.0)

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Can u try to make it with ntrboothax it will en awesome and maybe I'll give u something in return
I honestly think it is nearly impossible to do this with ntrboothax,
Let's take for example the single system ntrboot, with the R4i 3DS RTS Gold.

Firstly, you need to flash it. You download the R4i firmware, and the ak2i flasher, put them on the R4, and run the software. Only thing I can imagine being done to simplify this process, is a special zip being made that you just extract to the R4i's SD root that does its own magic by not having the user press any button. You just launch the R4i from the home menu, and it does some magic, and it exits by itself.
However this is very impractical since you'd need to reverse engineer flashcart firmware. We are already using a lot of our resources to make as many flashcarts compatible with ntrboot, I just don't see the reason to waste manpower on making it easier instead of using that manpower to increase compatibility.

Afterwards, you take this flashed R4i, then you do the magnet trick. You cannot make this easier, since this is purely a user thing. I can't pop out of someone's monitor to do the magnet procedure on their 3DS. It is what it is.

Then, it boots into SB9SInstaller. This is pretty simple, and with OCS the button combination for SB9SInstaller is still there. We cannot alter this.

Afterwards it boots into the Luma config menu, and this also cannot be altered.

After all this, you have finished installing CFW. You simply cannot make this easier than it is. The most that I can think of is making prepackaged ZIPs ready for users to extract. While for some this would make the process easier, personally, I think this is a very insignificant step. You just cannot make ntrboot easier than it is.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Good work. This is why I waited--to not go through the OTP hassle. Thank you.
B9S was much easier than A9LH. It did not involve downgrading, dumping the OTP, and installing the hack. It worked on whatever version you had.

All the OCS tool does is simplify the installation process for the average joe.

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this only intended for stock 3ds's, or can I do this on an o3ds that is on Luma 6.x? (hasn't been updated in months, has A9LH and NOT on boot9strap) Should I just skip this and try using the 3ds.guide method instead?

I Also have an unhacked n3ds on old 4.x system FW, running emunand (on 10.x FW) using a GateWay card that I would like to get onto boot9strap without losing GW card use/GW emunand saved data....if that's still even possible? (I like being able to use the GW cheats and games running from the GW microSD card)

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Is this only intended for stock 3ds's, or can I do this on an o3ds that is on Luma 6.x? (hasn't been updated in months, has A9LH and NOT on boot9strap) Should I just skip this and try using the 3ds.guide method instead?

I Also have an unhacked n3ds on old 4.x system FW, running emunand (on 10.x FW) using a GateWay card that I would like to get onto boot9strap without losing GW card use/GW emunand saved data....if that's still even possible? (I like being able to use the GW cheats and games running from the GW microSD card)
This is for 3DSes that are unhacked, or for 3DSes with empty SD cards (Part 2 at least)

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
No, follow https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s
You would be best off backing up the Gateway saves (https://gbatemp.net/threads/importing-gateway-saves-to-cia-games.425743/) and following the guide (https://3ds.guide) on sysNAND, then moving emuNAND when it says you can and importing your saves. If you really want to keep Gateway, then follow the guide as normal, but don't follow the Move emuNAND section and don't update your emuNAND (update it with a Yoshi's Wooly World rom but not with an official system update). Follow https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-gateway-on-b9s.431691/

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, follow https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s

You would be best off backing up the Gateway saves (https://gbatemp.net/threads/importing-gateway-saves-to-cia-games.425743/) and following the guide (https://3ds.guide) on sysNAND, then moving emuNAND when it says you can and importing your saves. If you really want to keep Gateway, then follow the guide as normal, but don't follow the Move emuNAND section and don't update your emuNAND (update it with a Yoshi's Wooly World rom but not with an official system update). Follow https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-gateway-on-b9s.431691/

Thanks Quantum and MrJ. I almost did the 3dsguide for AL9H and GW retention on my n3ds a few months ago, but chickened out and decided to use my o3ds as a guniea pig instead. Worked out fine, but I didn't have a GW on it to worry about.
My main fear was the issue with GW not cooperating with Luma updates and having it wipe out the homebrew from it, which GW never really got around to addressing I believe. (If you updated emunand it would break) So it's been in limbo for now but i'd like to have it back in the picture and working if possible.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks Quantum and MrJ. I almost did the 3dsguide for AL9H and GW retention on my n3ds a few months ago, but chickened out and decided to use my o3ds as a guniea pig instead. Worked out fine, but I didn't have a GW on it to worry about.
My main fear was the issue with GW not cooperating with Luma updates and having it wipe out the homebrew from it, which GW never really got around to addressing I believe. (If you updated emunand it would break) So it's been in limbo for now but i'd like to have it back in the picture and working if possible.
There will be a lot of things not compatible with Gateway mode, but you can always boot into Luma and use that for those things (eg GBA games and DSiWare). The most important thing is don't update past 11.2. If you boot Gateway in sysNAND mode on 11.3 or higher your B9S will be wiped out. Nobody recommends using Gateway but if you really want to just please be aware of the risks.

D

Deleted User

I've been waiting for someone to make a tool like this since the start of A9LH. A tool that would cut the process into several steps that you just run on the 3DS and it does all the work for you. And this tool fits that bill perfectly.
As long as it's kept up to date with the latest versions of stuff, this is pretty awesome.
Depending on OPs skill level that can easily be done with githubs api as long as the 3ds console has an active wifi connection it can check that the user has the latest files and even update them automatically if they have an older version

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Depending on OPs skill level that can easily be done with githubs api as long as the 3ds console has an active wifi connection it can check that the user has the latest files and even update them automatically if they have an older version
It already parses GitHub api
This won't help at all if the process changes and starts using different tools. And if the dev of one of the tools goes rogue, and turns their tool into a malware, now everyone using OCS is vulnerable and since it is out in the wild you can't prevent new people becoming victims because they'll come across OCS without reading any warnings.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Kartik

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
This won't help at all if the process changes and starts using different tools. And if the dev of one of the tools goes rogue, and turns their tool into a malware, now everyone using OCS is vulnerable and since it is out in the wild you can't prevent new people becoming victims because they'll come across OCS without reading any warnings.
The links and releases can be replaced very easily.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
The links and releases can be replaced very easily.
But won't the existing file have the wrong ones in it? Unless the information about the repos is fetched from the Web (which can be changed) and not stored in the 3dsx? (I haven't looked at the source - maybe I should do that before having any opinions)

Aveyn Knight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks a bunch!

By the way, sorry if I'm dumb and missed it, but roughly how much SD card space should I set aside before starting the process? At the moment I have around 200 MB space (before adding the three files)), but I can delete some games, etc.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
But won't the existing file have the wrong ones in it? Unless the information about the repos is fetched from the Web (which can be changed) and not stored in the 3dsx? (I haven't looked at the source - maybe I should do that before having any opinions)
You can just change the links and recompile it on your own.
Won't change whatever is in the already released boot.3dsx

Reactions: Kartik

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...