Homebrew [RELEASE] NTRLDR - DS firmware on the 3DS

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
It's useful for those who still have oldschool flashcarts that force autoboot slot-1 on power-on. Normally you'd have to take the flashcart out to go to settings but with firmware.nds you can launch it from the flashcart. This app restores that functionality when also on a 3DS, making it stay a one-stop for DS mode config.

dr1ft

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
dr1ft.xyz
XP
Country
United States
It's useful for those who still have oldschool flashcarts that force autoboot slot-1 on power-on. Normally you'd have to take the flashcart out to go to settings but with firmware.nds you can launch it from the flashcart. This app restores that functionality when also on a 3DS, making it stay a one-stop for DS mode config.
I don't think that's the case.
As far as I know firmware.nds is incapable of detecting Slot-1 carts, though maybe I'm wrong.

Xyphoseos

Hack or no games
Trophies
XP
Country
France
As far as I know firmware.nds is incapable of detecting Slot-1 carts, though maybe I'm wrong.
And you need a flashcard to launch it
So theoriticaly you would have a flashcard which can boot without it

dr1ft

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
dr1ft.xyz
XP
Country
United States
And you need a flashcard to launch it
So theoriticaly you would have a flashcard which can boot without it
You don't need a flashcart since the latest few versions, but it doesn't show any games/flashcarts in the menu, so it's really only good for Pictochat (which you can load through the DSi SRL anyway, though the NDS version is slightly different)

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
1. Yes it is the case, because that's exactly how I'm using it. :P
2. You misunderstand or I didn't word it well. Yes firmware.nds can't detect slot-1 cards. But that's not what I use it for. I arbitrarily launch it from the DS flashcart for reconfiguring the date/time/profile/whatever if I need to, instead of removing the card from the DS.

Last edited by Searinox,
Reactions: BrandonSWITCH

dr1ft

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
dr1ft.xyz
XP
Country
United States
1. Yes it is the case, because that's exactly how I'm using it. :P
2. You misunderstand or I didn't word it well. Yes firmware.nds can't detect slot-1 cards. But that's not what I use it for. I arbitrarily launch it for reconfiguring the date/time/profile/whatever if I need to, instead of removing the card from the DS.
Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, that's a good use for it. I used it for that on my DS Lite.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wish I could fix the sound for the DS firmware on NTLDR running on DSiWarehax, like I did for games on nds-bootstrap running on DSiWarehax, but sadly, I haven't found the function that jumps to the GetPitchTable call, in order to patch it. :(

Reactions: dr1ft

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I've always been curious about something: sometimes when launching a DS software on 3DS, the screen would glitch and a tiny bar at the bottom would duplicate the last few rows of pixels. With ntrldr, version 7 did this very consistently but version 9 doesn't seem to do it at all. What is that and how is it fixed?

Last edited by Searinox,

dr1ft

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
dr1ft.xyz
XP
Country
United States
I've always been curious about something: sometimes when launching a DS software on 3DS, the screen would glitch and a tiny bar at the bottom would duplicate the last few rows of pixel. With ntrldr, version 7 did this very consistently but version 9 doesn't seem to do it at all. What is that and how is it fixed?
I have absolutely no idea, lol. It happened for me once.
DXaPb4HU0AAQCEf.jpg

• Haha

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
It was happening to me 3/4 of the time on v7, I haven't launched v9 that many times, maybe 6 times but it's not happened once. I've had it happen in legit games rarely too so I'm guessing it's Nintendo's fault.

dr1ft

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
dr1ft.xyz
XP
Country
United States
this means you can now use any dslite or nds flash card ona 3ds

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

do you think it would be possible the emulate the gba slot.
It actually means neither of these things...
I don't know enough about how firmware.nds works to know how to make it work with game carts and I know for a fact it won't work for loading GBA games.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
do you think it would be possible the emulate the gba slot.
Emulating the GBA slot would be TWLoader-tier levels of work. It's not as easy as a redirect. When the DS firmware activates that, it sends a hardware signal to the GBA part of the DS Lite, which does not exist on the 3DS. You're better off with an emulator like mGBA. But on a DS/L it boots the GBA slot just fine.

Reactions: dr1ft

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Emulating the GBA slot would be TWLoader-tier levels of work. It's not as easy as a redirect. When the DS firmware activates that, it sends a hardware signal to the GBA part of the DS Lite, which does not exist on the 3DS. You're better off with an emulator like mGBA. But on a DS/L it boots the GBA slot just fine.
well yeah no one has hacked agb firm so you can use cheats though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: