ROM Hack [Release] New Super Mario Bros. Origins - Version 1.0 [by SKJmin]

SKJmin

Loved by few, hated by many, respected by all...
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Turkey

UPDATE:
I'm gonna post New Super Mario Bros. 3 Updates in this thread aswell!!

First of all: Feel free to advertise this game/trailer wherever you want!
The more people know about this, the more awesome this game can get!

====================
DOWNLOADLINK
https://www.romhacking.net/community/1499/
====================

The time has come! Here is the release of the long awaited second game by SKJmin!!

It's called New Super Mario Bros. Origins!
A Remake of Super Mario Bros. + The Lost Levels (based on the Nintendo DS NSMB Engine)

Every single course from the original was imported to this one!
And on top of that every course was extended/advanced hugely!
You 'll see what I mean when you watch the traielr below!!

Every course has 3 STAR COINS - and they are hidden!
(compared to the NSMB3-difficulty... NSMB: Origins is very easy)​

Final Trailer of Version 1.0 (Please watch in 1080p and until end :)

UPDATE:
I decided to put infos about New Super Mario Bros. 3 also in this thread :)

Last edited by SKJmin,

gridatttack

Trophies
XP
Country
El Salvador
Awesome. Too bad I cant play it on a real DS :(

Any chance you perhaps will make an original hack? Im always amazed the challenges you can come up withing NSMB O.o

SKJmin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Turkey
Awesome. Too bad I cant play it on a real DS :(

Any chance you perhaps will make an original hack? Im always amazed the challenges you can come up withing NSMB O.o
Thanks Gridatttack! I told you this before! Withtou YOU, I would never had started these hacks! You and jeggbert5 had insipired me!!

Yeah these challenges took me a while! I could had show over 20 different challenges in the trailer, but I wanted come below 30 minutes xD
But it shouldn't take long - these ideas will be stolen and represented as original idias :P

PS: I'm still waiting for your original hack man! You showed me some videos and images before...

WoJjTeK

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I've said that countless times , but it never hurts to say it another time - You ar an amazing NSMB hacker, Your hacks are of insanely high quality and I cannot wait for the release :) Keep it up!

Truner

Trophies
Website
truner.beluva.hu
XP
Country
Hungary
Well, after skimming through the trailer (because no, a 30 minutes long trailer is not exactly optimal) I noticed just a few things:

1. At the beginning of the video, you sound very arrogant. "failed" attempts is not the kind of word you use when you want to promote your work. You might end up making end users dislike you. I personally enjoyed gridattack's variant and would never call it a "failed" attempt.

2. I see how you are trying to make the game look better on higher resolutions, but I'd personally prefer using the new Desmume version with 4x resolution. Not sure if your PC can handle that, but the results would look stunning!

3. No Super Mario Bros. Special stages? You make me sad. The levels Hudson created are some of the best classic stages I've played in my life. ):

Now aside from these, I really like the look of the hack. I did notice that some of your additions aren't that fitting. They just don't feel Nintendo enough. The time rush courses look absolutely amazing though. Also Falcom music, YAY! :D

SKJmin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Turkey
Well, after skimming through the trailer (because no, a 30 minutes long trailer is not exactly optimal) I noticed just a few things:

1. At the beginning of the video, you sound very arrogant. "failed" attempts is not the kind of word you use when you want to promote your work. You might end up making end users dislike you. I personally enjoyed gridattack's variant and would never call it a "failed" attempt.

2. I see how you are trying to make the game look better on higher resolutions, but I'd personally prefer using the new Desmume version with 4x resolution. Not sure if your PC can handle that, but the results would look stunning!

3. No Super Mario Bros. Special stages? You make me sad. The levels Hudson created are some of the best classic stages I've played in my life. ):

Now aside from these, I really like the look of the hack. I did notice that some of your additions aren't that fitting. They just don't feel Nintendo enough. The time rush courses look absolutely amazing though. Also Falcom music, YAY! :D
-1 I respect 2 NSMB hackers! Gridatttack and mariofanatic - they have great hacks aswell
-2 (Specs: i7 3820, Nvdia GTX 780@3GB, 16GBRam, SSD etc) The problem is the monitor^^ 27' only) x4 wouldn't work! And I personally think that everything above 1080p is useless. This is a DS game after all :)
-3 Ok, now I'm confused! What Special Stages are you talking about?

Truner

Trophies
Website
truner.beluva.hu
XP
Country
Hungary
1. It was most probably the way you worded it in the video. No worries, it's just a minor nitpick. (:

2. recording at 3x would still get better results than a simple filter. But yeah, increasing the resolution of the game would make the 3D models look better, that's it. Just check out the high-res emulation thread.

3. I'm talking about the PC-88 Super Mario Bros. port made by Hudson! It's the first official "port" of the game to a different platform and it has new stages in it. Said stages are AMAZING. If you want to get a taste of how great it is, here's a patch that ports the stages from the PC-88 version to the NES one: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/527/

SKJmin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Turkey
1. It was most probably the way you worded it in the video. No worries, it's just a minor nitpick. (:

2. recording at 3x would still get better results than a simple filter. But yeah, increasing the resolution of the game would make the 3D models look better, that's it. Just check out the high-res emulation thread.

3. I'm talking about the PC-88 Super Mario Bros. port made by Hudson! It's the first official "port" of the game to a different platform and it has new stages in it. Said stages are AMAZING. If you want to get a taste of how great it is, here's a patch that ports the stages from the PC-88 version to the NES one: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/527/
I will check that game! Who knows - Maybe I make a cross-over in 2.0 :P

Truner

Trophies
Website
truner.beluva.hu
XP
Country
Hungary
Hopefully!

Hudson cranked out some amazing stages. The stages are easily better than SMB and SMB2 combined. Difficulty-wise, they are hard, but not in the SMB2 "fuck you" way. There's legitimate challenge in the stages... and a handful of hidden blocks. ;)

I'm not sure how many stages can be included in a NSMB hack, but SMB Special is a full game, so it has the same amount of stages as the rest. Maybe that would be a bit too much?

SKJmin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Turkey
Hopefully!

Hudson cranked out some amazing stages. The stages are easily better than SMB and SMB2 combined. Difficulty-wise, they are hard, but not in the SMB2 "fuck you" way. There's legitimate challenge in the stages... and a handful of hidden blocks. ;)

I'm not sure how many stages can be included in a NSMB hack, but SMB Special is a full game, so it has the same amount of stages as the rest. Maybe that would be a bit too much?
Well stages are limited! There are total of 80 courses!

Ah I forgot!
FALCOM for the win! BEST SOUNDTRACKS EVER!!

Truner

Trophies
Website
truner.beluva.hu
XP
Country
Hungary
Maybe each special stage could be accessed from a regular stage? Like going down a specific pipe. Or, it could be a different hack. No one says the game has to be part of Origins.

Good to hear you also like Falcom! My personal favorite is the Ys I & II Chronicles soundtrack. :D

SKJmin

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Turkey
Maybe each special stage could be accessed from a regular stage? Like going down a specific pipe. Or, it could be a different hack. No one says the game has to be part of Origins.

Good to hear you also like Falcom! My personal favorite is the Ys I & II Chronicles soundtrack. :D
I used a lot of YS songs in my trailers! My absolute favorite song is Samsara And Paramnesia from YS Origin! (just a sick song xD)

gridatttack

Trophies
XP
Country
El Salvador
Thanks Gridatttack! I told you this before! Withtou YOU, I would never had started these hacks! You and jeggbert5 had insipired me!!

Yeah these challenges took me a while! I could had show over 20 different challenges in the trailer, but I wanted come below 30 minutes xD
But it shouldn't take long - these ideas will be stolen and represented as original idias :P

PS: I'm still waiting for your original hack man! You showed me some videos and images before...

One of my faves was the powerup one when you get a different route depending on the powerup :)

And yeah, I recently started an urge to hack SMB3 on the NES, but the game kept crashing. So I moved to NSMB again. Im just having a bit of a problem getting in the game tilesets to use :L

I will check that game! Who knows - Maybe I make a cross-over in 2.0 :P

I was actually trying to do a remake of Special aswell (managed to get 1 world complete), but ran of a bit of technical problems. Like the nonexsiting enemies in NSMB (barrel, icicles, etc) But the level design is pretty interesting.

Problem is, its only 32 courses, so I didn't found another mario game to include to fill the 80 level slot, and having custom areas would have perhaps diluted super mario bros special :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/yjrjY6PCb7o?si=xnFz0B2o_adIgLTV +1