Homebrew [Release][N3DS] Sonic 1 & 2 (2013) Decompilation port

TomTalker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was quite happy to try out these 2 ports but a damn ARM11 error killed my happiness.

Oh, and, for future releases, do you plan of optimising it for O3DS consoles?

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the difference between this and the M2 ports?
I really like using the 3D in the M2 versions

Widescreen display (not stretched, shows more playfield.)
Better response time because its not emulated.
Remastered soundtracks (recorded on higher quality analog chips than genesis)
True 3D bonus stages (although I hear framerate is pretty bad on 3DS in S2)
Bonus features (tails/knuckles in S1, Knuckles and hidden palace zone in S2)
Fewer physics bugs (love when you suddenly lose momentum on a tiny hill when rolling in a spin while holding down...)

El_Scorcho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I just played the 2 ports recently. I love them and thank you for making them!

I wanted to ask you if you are still working on the project and if you're planning to fix the Special Stages speed? Thanks so much in advance.

Reactions: Hinikah

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Widescreen display (not stretched, shows more playfield.)
Better response time because its not emulated.
Remastered soundtracks (recorded on higher quality analog chips than genesis)
True 3D bonus stages (although I hear framerate is pretty bad on 3DS in S2)
Bonus features (tails/knuckles in S1, Knuckles and hidden palace zone in S2)
Fewer physics bugs (love when you suddenly lose momentum on a tiny hill when rolling in a spin while holding down...)
All this and it's running natively, rather than being an emulated "Giga Drive" (the term used by the emulator developers for the 3D hook code). Any bad frame rates are because the port is currently unoptimised, running its graphics in software. There's no technical reason preventing a port of the 3D from the official releases.

Reactions: Hinikah

xscaralienx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I dont have Sonic1 or Sonic folders in sd/3ds. Do I have to make them? I downloaded the Sonic 1 and 2 through universal updater and can see them on the home menu

Last edited by xscaralienx,

1Nacster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@JeffRuLz The current version of the decomp for PC has built-in mod support. Any luck on fixing the issues you were having and releasing an update so we can have the mod loader for this 3DS version as well? SaturnSH2x2 was able to get the mod loader working for their Sonic CD port, so perhaps they may have some answers if you're still having issues.

Last edited by 1Nacster,

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic Mania 3ds port when?
That'll take a good bit more work - it's based on a newer version of the engine. Not only that, it's a game being commercially sold on current platforms (the CD/1/2 ports are free mobile games) and may have more risks involved to release such a port.

Reactions: Wavy and HiSaturnV

HiSaturnV

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
saturnsh2x2.ml
XP
Country
United States
That'll take a good bit more work - it's based on a newer version of the engine. Not only that, it's a game being commercially sold on current platforms (the CD/1/2 ports are free mobile games) and may have more risks involved to release such a port.
On top of that, there's currently no Mania decomp, negating the possibility of a port unless the source somehow becomes available. Rubberduckycooly has said that decompiling Mania would take significantly more work than the mobile remakes, due to the complexity of the engine over previous versions, as well as the larger number of objects.

@JeffRuLz The current version of the decomp for PC has built-in mod support. Any luck on fixing the issues you were having and releasing an update so we can have the mod loader for this 3DS version as well? SaturnSH2x2 was able to get the mod loader working for their Sonic CD port, so perhaps they may have some answers if you're still having issues.
Mainly focusing on CD rn, but I might fork and see if I can get the changes from upstream working. Not promising anything, though.

Reactions: CeeDee and Wavy

JeffRuLz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose I should speak up since the thread has been active lately.
The truth is I've attempted to update to the 1.1.2 version multiple times but I've kept hitting a wall involving the audio playback. The sound would just cut out after trying to play a sound effect or two and nothing I tried seemed to help.

About a week ago I've decided to try again, but this time I'd finally bite the bullet and stop using SDL for audio. It was simpler than I thought it would be because the engine mixes its own audio, it just needs to be fed to the hardware (but I'm kind of an idiot so it took a few days to set that up).
The previously mentioned audio issue is now gone and the audio itself sounds 'okay', but it feels off compared to the old version that was using SDL.

As for mod loading, I thought I hit another wall but it was an easy fix. Mods would work in Citra but not on real hardware. Why? Because the mod loader was inserting double slashes into file paths (ex sdmc:/3ds/Sonic1/mods//Sonic 1 Visual Overhaul/). Apparently most OSs can handle an error like that but the 3DS cannot.
Unfortunately mod compatibility is all over the place. Some work exactly like they should (Full Engine Rotation, Sonic 1 Visual Overhaul, Gorgeous Labyrinth) but others crash the game (Separate Act Themes, Sonic Forever). I'm still trying to figure out why that is. I haven't really tested them on PC yet so maybe the mods are just broken, idk.

I'll go ahead and upload what I have onto github if Saturn or someone else wants to take a look at it.

tl;dr: I've made good progress updating to v1.1.2 but it's in a very WIP state right now.

HiSaturnV

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
saturnsh2x2.ml
XP
Country
United States
I suppose I should speak up since the thread has been active lately.
The truth is I've attempted to update to the 1.1.2 version multiple times but I've kept hitting a wall involving the audio playback. The sound would just cut out after trying to play a sound effect or two and nothing I tried seemed to help.

About a week ago I've decided to try again, but this time I'd finally bite the bullet and stop using SDL for audio. It was simpler than I thought it would be because the engine mixes its own audio, it just needs to be fed to the hardware (but I'm kind of an idiot so it took a few days to set that up).
The previously mentioned audio issue is now gone and the audio itself sounds 'okay', but it feels off compared to the old version that was using SDL.

As for mod loading, I thought I hit another wall but it was an easy fix. Mods would work in Citra but not on real hardware. Why? Because the mod loader was inserting double slashes into file paths (ex sdmc:/3ds/Sonic1/mods//Sonic 1 Visual Overhaul/). Apparently most OSs can handle an error like that but the 3DS cannot.
Unfortunately mod compatibility is all over the place. Some work exactly like they should (Full Engine Rotation, Sonic 1 Visual Overhaul, Gorgeous Labyrinth) but others crash the game (Separate Act Themes, Sonic Forever). I'm still trying to figure out why that is. I haven't really tested them on PC yet so maybe the mods are just broken, idk.

I'll go ahead and upload what I have onto github if Saturn or someone else wants to take a look at it.

tl;dr: I've made good progress updating to v1.1.2 but it's in a very WIP state right now.
Yeah, the audio backend on the decomps is really buggy, even on PC (there's currently a bug with the 1-Up sound effect not playing fully, among other things). I actually got burnt out on the CD port for a while trying to fix audio issues (mainly music/sound effects completely stopping after time traveling).

What I eventually did to fix the audio thread on RSDKv3 was basically stub out all the audio code and replace everything with SDL_Mixer calls. This backend can be enabled by introducing the preprocessor flag RETRO_USING_SDLMIXER. It works, but at the cost of slightly longer loading times due to the API needing music files to be cached in memory as opposed to streamed from a file. This also has the side effect of crashing the game when using mods that provide higher-quality music files, presumably due to there being not enough memory. It does work with music mods that more or less use the same bitrate, though.

I was actually working on implementing the SDL_Mixer calls into RSDKv4, so I can fork, finish up the changes, and make a pull request; maybe it might fix compatibility with mods that use custom music files like Sonic Forever. Or not. I've had reports of some CD mods like this Super Sonic mod absolutely killing the frame rate for some reason, on top of various slowdown issues. Sonic Forever apparently even caused slowdown on the Switch port for a while. While further optimizations to the decomp ports probably can be made, past a certain point, its really up to mod creators to optimize properly.

Reactions: JeffRuLz

JeffRuLz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll give SDL_Mixer a shot. I would rather not use SDL, but I'd also prefer the thing to work at all. I'll wait for your pull request since you've already started, and I still want to pick at the current audio code for another day or two.

I can confirm the mod compatibility issues were coming from the audio playback. Sonic Forever runs fine after testing with the music processing function removed. Performance is good too, except for some menu screens with a lot of sprites on it.

Reactions: HiSaturnV

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
I’m running into an issue with Sonic 1 achievements, “Ramp Ring Acrobatic” and “King Ring” they‘re marked as “Not Achieved“ despite completing them multiple times, anybody else having this issue?

Also about Sonic 2, the multiplayer achievement “Head 2 Head” can it even be completed on 3DS? Thanks!

Mer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello everyone. I have downloaded the Sonic 1 CIA and installed it. I also copied the Data.rsdk file, but when I try to run the app, it crashes.
I have attached a dump from when it crashed. Just remember to remove the ".txt". The file ends in ".txt" because it won't let me attach a ".dmp" file.

Attachments

• crash_dump_00000000.dmp.txt
    284 bytes · Views: 40

JeffRuLz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I have downloaded the Sonic 1 CIA and installed it. I also copied the Data.rsdk file, but when I try to run the app, it crashes.
I have attached a dump from when it crashed. Just remember to remove the ".txt". The file ends in ".txt" because it won't let me attach a ".dmp" file.
Does your Data.rsdk file work on the PC version?
Make sure your file was placed in sd:/3ds/Sonic1/ (and not something like sd:/Sonic1/).
And if that doesn't work, grab an apk from Sonic Retro that isn't a "Sonic Forever" version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/