Homebrew [RELEASE] Mr. Top Hat: Attack of The Space Junk (Homebrew Game)

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
OP
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
HRUIZqP.png
Gameplay:
The gameplay is quite simple. All you have to do is to not get hit by random space junk flying around. To do this you can avoid them and shoot them. This will gradually become harder the longer you play as more junk will be on the screen at any given moment.

Controls:
Movement can be controlled with the Circle pad, the D-Pad or the ABXY buttons for left handed people on O3DS. You can aim with the touchscreen, or use the C-Stick on New 3DS and New 2DS models. To shoot you can press or hold the L and or R buttons.

Screenshots:
QYAkkOU.png
hkZHLLf.png
sAqjz2a.png
2zXME9E.png
EhKwiI6.png

Download:
https://github.com/MrJPGames/AoTSJ/releases/latest

Source:
https://github.com/MrJPGames/AoTSJ

Online leaderboards FAQ:
-I'm banned what now?
You most likely tried to cheat a higher score, if this was not the case you can message me and you might get unbanned if the online logs do indeed not show signs of attempted cheating.
-I get a "GitHub Ban" screen
This means you are using a compiled github version instead of the release version, like the prompt explains you are not actually banned but merely unable to go online with a version compiled from the github source.
-What information is sent to the leaderboard server?
Look at the source for the most complete anwser, but the parts you care about: A console unique hash generated with the cfg service, and the current country set on your 3DS as well as your 3DS' username will all be sent. Currently only the username is visible by other players, country might become visible in the future.
The console unique hash is only used for identifing different players, and in no way contains any "useful" information other than that (at least to my knowledge).
The username is sent for the leaderboard, and the country in case countries will be visable on the leaderboard at some point in the future.
-Can I see the leaderboard on a webpage
No, at least not right now, let me know if there is any intrest in this. You can get XML data for the leaderboards (the same the 3DS uses and displays) at poc.debug-it.nl/AoTSJ
(ctr+u on chrome if you want to see slightly more readable version)

A crash happend!?
Woops... I'm sorry. Though I did a lot of testing I was unable to figure out what was causing a crash that happenes sometimes seemingly when getting hit. Again I tried my best to find the issue but was unable to. The source code is available on my github so if you're willing to go through my awful code to fix it feel free!

D

Deleted User

This looks amazing! I'll have to check it out soon.
Good job on having online leaderboards, too!

Reactions: MRJPGames

Swampat

The swamp monster that pats the ground
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like it! But (I don't if this is possible) maybe you could add like a online multiplayer or local. I'm not sure how it would work but its just a suggestion. Keep up the good work!

D

Deleted User

This game looks promising; I'll check it out later. Good job!

By the way, I noticed that you're still using SF2D :P

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
OP
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
This game looks promising; I'll check it out later. Good job!

By the way, I noticed that you're still using SF2D :P
Yeah started making this 1 1/2 year ago. That was pretty much the norm back then. Worked on it in short bursts since then but didn't feel like changing that now just wanted to finish it and get it out the door.

SeeFamGaming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HRUIZqP.png
Gameplay:
The gameplay is quite simple. All you have to do is to not get hit by random space junk flying around. To do this you can avoid them and shoot them. This will gradually become harder the longer you play as more junk will be on the screen at any given moment.

Controls:
Movement can be controlled with the Circle pad, the D-Pad or the ABXY buttons for left handed people on O3DS. You can aim with the touchscreen, or use the C-Stick on New 3DS and New 2DS models. To shoot you can press or hold the L and or R buttons.

Screenshots:
QYAkkOU.png
hkZHLLf.png
sAqjz2a.png
2zXME9E.png
EhKwiI6.png

Download:
https://github.com/MrJPGames/AoTSJ/releases/latest

Source:
https://github.com/MrJPGames/AoTSJ

Online leaderboards FAQ:
-I'm banned what now?
You most likely tried to cheat a higher score, if this was not the case you can message me and you might get unbanned if the online logs do indeed not show signs of attempted cheating.
-I get a "GitHub Ban" screen
This means you are using a compiled github version instead of the release version, like the prompt explains you are not actually banned but merely unable to go online with a version compiled from the github source.
-What information is sent to the leaderboard server?
Look at the source for the most complete anwser, but the parts you care about: A console unique hash generated with the cfg service, and the current country set on your 3DS as well as your 3DS' username will all be sent. Currently only the username is visible by other players, country might become visible in the future.
The console unique hash is only used for identifing different players, and in no way contains any "useful" information other than that (at least to my knowledge).
The username is sent for the leaderboard, and the country in case countries will be visable on the leaderboard at some point in the future.
-Can I see the leaderboard on a webpage
No, at least not right now, let me know if there is any intrest in this. You can get XML data for the leaderboards (the same the 3DS uses and displays) at poc.debug-it.nl/AoTSJ
(ctr+u on chrome if you want to see slightly more readable version)

A crash happend!?
Woops... I'm sorry. Though I did a lot of testing I was unable to figure out what was causing a crash that happenes sometimes seemingly when getting hit. Again I tried my best to find the issue but was unable to. The source code is available on my github so if you're willing to go through my awful code to fix it feel free!
This looks really cool, but would it be possible to convert this to CIA? I'm unable to access home brew.

Sn00py5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm no developer so I don't know how realistic this is but A multiplayer or co-op mode would pretty much make this legendary.

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
OP
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm no developer so I don't know how realistic this is but A multiplayer or co-op mode would pretty much make this legendary.
It would not be very easy (for me right now at least). But the bigger problem really is that I have no good ideas on what a multiplayer/co-op mode would be other than just the 2 players playing the original essentially just making it easier?

Also I don't really feel like working on this homebrew any longer, except for fixing bugs at this point. I already spent quite a bit of time on it and only very few people have actually tried it so I don't have incentive enough to take on a problem like multiplayer for this game. But maybe a future project who knows?

Sn00py5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would not be very easy (for me right now at least). But the bigger problem really is that I have no good ideas on what a multiplayer/co-op mode would be other than just the 2 players playing the original essentially just making it easier?

Also I don't really feel like working on this homebrew any longer, except for fixing bugs at this point. I already spent quite a bit of time on it and only very few people have actually tried it so I don't have incentive enough to take on a problem like multiplayer for this game. But maybe a future project who knows?
I was thinking the multiplayer could be them fighting while surviving themselves or just a super hard version of the base game but with a friend helping you.For the second part about no one playing it that sucks ;-; they're missing out.Looking forward to future projects tho!

bee395

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I really like your game =D

But I am afraid I found a few bugs, maybe :o
Only the first time I submitted a score to the online leaderboard it got added. When I improved my local high score the game froze for a few seconds but the online leaderboard didn't got updated.
Also when I look at the Normal Ranking, as well as the Normal Items Destroyed Ranking, it says that I am a different user and submitted my scores to somebody else. That's only the case with the normal rankings.

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
OP
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I really like your game =D

But I am afraid I found a few bugs, maybe :o
Only the first time I submitted a score to the online leaderboard it got added. When I improved my local high score the game froze for a few seconds but the online leaderboard didn't got updated.
Also when I look at the Normal Ranking, as well as the Normal Items Destroyed Ranking, it says that I am a different user and submitted my scores to somebody else. That's only the case with the normal rankings.
Thanks for reporting!
I'll look into this. If you could PM me your 3DS (leaderboard) username that way I can identify the problem in the backend. It would also greatly help if you could send me your save file, located at /3ds/AoTSJSave.xml

The freezing when a new high score is gotten is "normal" and dependent on your SD card speed. This is because it saves when you get a high score and this takes a little bit of time to do.

EDIT: Uhm... How did you look at the leaderboard? I just checked the backend and I cannot find any user (other than myself) from the netherlands. If you look at the leaderboard using a computer without parsing a console unique hash it will assume you are all players (obviously wrong but didn't fix it because this would never happen if you use the game to view the scores, well at least it shouldn't happen there)

EDIT 2: FYI the scores on the leaderboard are only updated when you go to the leaderboards on the 3DS with a new high score. The scores are not sent at the time you get them.

Last edited by MRJPGames,

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
OP
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was thinking the multiplayer could be them fighting while surviving themselves or just a super hard version of the base game but with a friend helping you.For the second part about no one playing it that sucks ;-; they're missing out.Looking forward to future projects tho!
That's actually a pretty good idea. But yeah like I said lack of intrest and difficulty will be preventing me from implementing this.
Sounds amazing! A lovely game to play when you're bored! <3
Thanks. Please do check out the leaderboards (it's quite empty right now :( ). Also that profile picture <3

Last edited by MRJPGames,
Reactions: MartyDreamy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end