[Release] M&L:SS Original GBA Soundtrack Restoration

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Shrinefox, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Shrinefox
    OP

Shrinefox GBAtemp Regular

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Mod Details
    This is a mod that replaces the BGM of M&L Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions with the original soundtrack from the GBA version.
    The newly created .bcstm files were made from uploads at SmashCustomMusic, so most conversion credit goes to them.

It so happens that there are already .AAC format rips of the original soundtrack in the remake's data (used as collectables when you find the secret tapes). If any of the converted tracks aren't up to par for any reason (low volume, bad quality etc.), let me know so those can be used as replacements later on.

Disclaimer
    The making of this mod is not an assertion that one version is better than the other. I offer it simply as an option for those who may want a different experience. Please respect those that prefer either the new and old version of the soundtrack.

Installation Directions
    If you're using Luma3ds 8.0 (Rosalina)
    Luma Instructions

If you're using Hans

Hans Instructions

If you're using Citra

Citra Instructions

Replace the files in your extracted romfs directory with the romfs folder of the ZIP.
    Use SciresM's RomFS Builder to repack the romfs and name it <the last 8 characters of your titleID>.romfs. (e.g. 001B8F00.romfs)
    Put that in the \hans directory of your SD card. Launch the game with Hans and make sure loading the romfs file from the SD card is enabled.[/SPOILER]

sks316, Flaflo, Anonymous456 and 17 others like this.
  2. OkazakiTheOtaku

OkazakiTheOtaku no one likes me, not even me

Jul 20, 2016
    United States
    ~/
    Great work! Was thinking of doing this at some point too.
    It's so funny to me when we get tools or mods for games that aren't even out yet (e.g., Sun and Moon). And yet here we are!
    Thanks for this!

Shrinefox likes this.
  3. MyLegGuy

MyLegGuy Moron

Nov 26, 2014
    United States
    This should've already been an option without a mod considering the original music is already unlockable in the music player. Good job on the mod.

4. Mr.Faq2015

Mr.Faq2015 /ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/

Oct 24, 2015
    Argentina
    Rhizome 9
    Great idea. I look forward to people choosing the original sountrack, some of the remade tracks aren't just as good as the originals (I hope I'm not the only one that thinks Teehee Valley's remake is pretty sloppy...)

Shrinefox likes this.
  5. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Hey, you're the same person that does those Persona mods! I'm subscribed to you on Youtube btw. Good job on the mods!

Shrinefox likes this.
  6. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
    Good job the best option would be to to use the AAC files completely as they are more likely to have less quality loss since they are 160KBs CBR AAC compared to whatever constraints they used for the GBAs sound files

7. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Rip the soundfonts, resequence them and loop them back into the game without the gameboy filter = higher quality

8. Garblant

Garblant GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 1, 2016
    United States
    Alola
    I wonder how hard would it be to make the secret tapes hold the remade music?

9. Swqnky

Swqnky Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2016
    United States
    Adobe Studios
    Edit: Nevermind!

Last edited by Swqnky, Oct 14, 2017
  10. Visual Studio

Visual Studio Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2016
    United States
    EDIT: Didn't read it completely, kinda impulse posted :'(

Last edited by Visual Studio, Oct 7, 2017
  11. TTNH

TTNH Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    Australia
    Wow, so there are people who like the original tracks.

I wanted to try and patch one music track for this game (Final Boss Battle) with a HD version of it found on youtube.
    Could you tell a noob if this method is easy or not?

12. YoshiKart

YoshiKart GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    The only downside of this mod is that all of the DX songs in the music player are the OST, so unlocking the secret tapes scattered around the worlds just basically gives you a duplicate copy of that song.
    One suggestion is to replace all of the OST songs in the music player with the DX songs, essentially doing a full swap, so that at least the DX versions can be played in the music player.
    Minor gripe, though. Amazing mod, though! Great work.

13. Feroz El Mejor

Feroz El Mejor GBAtemp Fan

Jan 26, 2014
    Spain
    Villa Raíz (Hoenn)
    Nintendo should make an update that makes possible to use the GBA music once you beat the game for first time or when you get the music on the blocks.

I like both soundtracks, but I totally love the GBA version because nostalgia...

TheLegendofMario likes this.
  14. Flaflo

Flaflo Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2014
    Germany
    Perfect, thank you :).
    My opinion of the new music: its great overall but there are some that i dont like much like the cave theme

Last edited by Flaflo, Jan 31, 2018
  15. StoneyEvan

StoneyEvan Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2017
    Canada
    How would I go to just change the games battle music?

16. DaFixer

DaFixer Dare to be stupid

Aug 29, 2010
    Netherlands
    In my mencave ;)
    Great mod thanks!

17. ArceusMI

ArceusMI Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2016
    United States
    Taylor, MI
    Might just be a me issue, but when I load the game, the title music is replaced, menu replaced, but then the Chateau music is the DX version. Anyone else having this problem or have a fix or something?

Immediate Edit: Just left the building to test if the Fields music is DX, and it is in fact GBA, so only the Chateau has this issue thus far.

Last edited by ArceusMI, Nov 11, 2017
  18. trecko1234

trecko1234 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 10, 2013
    United States
    Any chance for a mirror? puu.sh is having a seizure when I try and click on the download.

19. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    Awesome Work! Thank you very much!:)